Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading another post about sub woofer installs and didn't want to hijack the other post so I started a new one that is sure to raise comments. Let's talk nice and no insults.

I'm 52 and grew up in the 60's and 70's and all we wanted in my "younger days" and still today was loud rock. The louder the better. I have ringing in my left ear from listening to too loud music. We didn't have rap or hip hop back then but we still liked the bass but not thumping house vibrating bass. On the other hand, I also have found myself with the car stereo blasting and all the windows open and I'm not sure if it's growing up or getting bored but I realized one day that I wanted the stereo to be heard by everyone else to show what good taste I had and how cool I was. You really realize this when one day your blasting away and realize the only one around is you to hear it. For some reason you turn it down. I guess that's why we "cruise". We drive around until we find someone to hear (or be annoyed) by our loud stereos.

Now I feel that any car stereo that is loud enough to hear inside your house with all the car doors closed and the front door on the house closed is only good for the neighbors to hear or maybe the neighbors daughter. This is just my opinion on how it relates to me and I have no intentions of judging anyone else on why and what they listen to. At my age I have finally come to understand why my dad always complained about that loud screaming music you kids listen to. Generations are just different. Times change. Attracting the opposite sex might have something to do with it. Maybe it's a mating call only heard by the young.

Can anyone tell me what they have installed in their Sonata that gave you an awesome system without a big box in the trunk and doesn't necessarily rattle the windows of your house? I have a GLS with the basic radio and stock speakers. Maybe an amp and new speakers and a small sub in the rear deck.

And I really don't like searching.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just ordered a Bazooka bass tube from Amazon.com. The one I bought is the 10" subwoofer with a 250W amp. I have read the reviews about it, and it seems to provide some good quality bass without blowing your doors off. I am just looking at getting better low sound quality, not setting off all the car alarms in the parking lot. It was only $247 on Amazon, free shipping. I will post up when I get it installed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (armycop @ Oct 25 2010, 10:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366320
I just ordered a Bazooka bass tube from Amazon.com. The one I bought is the 10" subwoofer with a 250W amp. I have read the reviews about it, and it seems to provide some good quality bass without blowing your doors off. I am just looking at getting better low sound quality, not setting off all the car alarms in the parking lot. It was only $247 on Amazon, free shipping. I will post up when I get it installed.

How long is the tube?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm 53 and my thinking runs along the lines of the OP. I just want to fill in some bass to help out the stock GLS audio system.

I have been looking at the flat 8" or 10" Boss subwoofer/amp combos (search Amazon for "boss + subwoofer" and look at BASS600 and BASS1500) and wondering if anyone has put one of these under their Sonata front seat? (Like, do they fit?)

[attachment=20938:BOSS_SUB8in.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
This is like asking what is the best color of sweater or the correct style of wedding ring. 100% subjective and a matter of taste and budget.

I was actually thinking last night as I was testing out my system with the new tweeters that the base stereo almost doesnt need a sub. it does a very good job of rocking fairly hard all by itself. Really remarkable if youve seen what the backside of the driver looks like. (Think: tiny magnet.) I wonder if they are neodymium magnets since they are such good performers being so small.

Anyway, that having been said, I personally like a nice solid bass floor upon which to build the rest of the sound. The problem with the bazooka style subs is they absolutely will not produce anything besides distortion below the 39hz tune of their ports. Not my cup of tea, but neither are ported boxes in general. I much prefer the sound of a tight sealed box with a gentle roll-off towards lower frequencies: the lower the better.

That having been said, I am putting a single 12" alpine sub in a sealed box (smaller than I'd like it but oh well) in the trunk with a 500w amp. It will be capable of bumping very hard but only if it is turned up to do that. I would NEVER bump my car stereo at home a) because I like my neighbors and I want them to like me back and B) I don't want my stuff stolen (even though I park in the garage).

·
Registered
281 Posts
haha I enjoyed that read, thank you. Much of what you say is true, although I do still find myself blasting music by myself at times. I think my reason is simply that I enjoy the 'feel' of sound. It intrigues me. Excuse me if this sounds REALLY weird, but certain music, when played loud AND clean, penetrates right to the core... it does stuff inside of you that is not replicable by anything else.. It makes your skin bump and your hair stand... That's the type of loud music I enjoy... the stuff that 'feels' incredible.

I thrive on music, but only through quality components... I've run in car audio competitions since I was 15, if you can figure that out :innocent: and I've done many mobile electronics / home theater installations throughout the years that ranged from pure sound quality to cars capable of running substantial PA systems. This said, the type of sound each person desires is all preference, just as robspeed stated.

Here are a few things to think about and answer:

What are you looking for, audiowise, with your Sonata? On a scale from 1-10, overall what would you give the Sonata's stock system? What do you feel it's lacking / where do you feel it could use improvement (amount of bass, bass response or thump, clarity, volume, mid-range, treble, etc...)? How much improvement to your previous selections would it take to make you happy? How much are you willing to spend?

Give those questions some thought and I'm sure we can help you out!

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (P Haggard @ Oct 26 2010, 01:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366319
I was reading another post about sub woofer installs and didn't want to hijack the other post so I started a new one that is sure to raise comments. Let's talk nice and no insults.

I'm 52 and grew up in the 60's and 70's and all we wanted in my "younger days" and still today was loud rock. The louder the better. I have ringing in my left ear from listening to too loud music. We didn't have rap or hip hop back then but we still liked the bass but not thumping house vibrating bass. On the other hand, I also have found myself with the car stereo blasting and all the windows open and I'm not sure if it's growing up or getting bored but I realized one day that I wanted the stereo to be heard by everyone else to show what good taste I had and how cool I was. You really realize this when one day your blasting away and realize the only one around is you to hear it. For some reason you turn it down. I guess that's why we "cruise". We drive around until we find someone to hear (or be annoyed) by our loud stereos.

Now I feel that any car stereo that is loud enough to hear inside your house with all the car doors closed and the front door on the house closed is only good for the neighbors to hear or maybe the neighbors daughter. This is just my opinion on how it relates to me and I have no intentions of judging anyone else on why and what they listen to. At my age I have finally come to understand why my dad always complained about that loud screaming music you kids listen to. Generations are just different. Times change. Attracting the opposite sex might have something to do with it. Maybe it's a mating call only heard by the young.

Can anyone tell me what they have installed in their Sonata that gave you an awesome system without a big box in the trunk and doesn't necessarily rattle the windows of your house? I have a GLS with the basic radio and stock speakers. Maybe an amp and new speakers and a small sub in the rear deck.

And I really don't like searching.
Having re-read your post, you could probably have a 8-10" sub designed for infinite baffle applications and a 100-200w amp installed for a few hundred bucks. The stock location is for an 8" but im sure a shop could fit a 10" with some cutting. They would need to perforate the parcel shelf itself and run a lead either off the head unit or one of the back doors and run it into high-level inputs on a sub amp or an inexpensive external hi-lo converter. Id try to find an amp with the high-level inputs built in however. For what you are saying in your post an 8" sub would probably suffice. Make sure it is spec'd for "infinite baffle" applications and put at least 100w to it if not more. You are more likely to blow a speaker with too little power than too much and the headroom makes for good music.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm a very serious Bass head. I put a ton of subwoofers in my Tahoe.

I havent thought about putting anything in the Sonata because it's the wife's car. But from the sounds of your preferences, you should be fine with a nice 10" sub/amp combo. Maybe build a nice sealed box box for under the rear shelf. I dont think you will enjoy a Bazooka sub. They are ok, but if you want to rock out, they fall a bit short and begin to distort. the sub/amp option will cost a little more, but the difference in sound quality is night and day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts