Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Our 02 Elantra GT died and would not restart. When we tried jumping the battery, the car would not even attempt to turn over. What we did get was a noise from this part, which I cannot find labeled in any diagram that I've found, both in my owner manual and online. Please help!

02 elantra gt.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi folks,

Our 02 Elantra GT died and would not restart. When we tried jumping the battery, the car would not even attempt to turn over. What we did get was a noise from this part, which I cannot find labeled in any diagram that I've found, both in my owner manual and online. Please help!

View attachment 95393
It looks to me like the cruise control mechanism. But Im not 100% sure it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks, that makes sense!

now the issue is ... the car slips out of gear (automatic transmission) and stalls, then will not start. we had the slipping clutch replaced a couple of years ago and it has been slipping again. so could a bad clutch cause the car to stall and then not start, because it could or would not go into or out of gear?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

Cruise control

Which trans you have,, you start off with auto trans, then continue on to say you had the clutch replaced due to slipping, and it is slipping again.. auto trans uses torque converter (fluid coupling), clutch is mechanical coupling for manual trans.

Starting is not a function of clutch.. clutch only connect engine power to trans input shaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lmao, i may be stupid but not as stupid as i made myself just look ... i meant to type "standard" transmission, but had a brain fart.

so the clutch being bad (or god forbid the transmission) could not impact the car starting? and please have patience, i have little car knowledge (really am chuckling here).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you get a clicking or any type of noise?

If you have a voltmeter, take a reading on the battery. It should be around 12-13 volts. IF you rule out the battery you can move on to other issues.

If your battery is OK and If you hear a faint clicking, it could mean your starter is dead. Try crawling under the car and banging on it with a hammer. Soemtimes this loosens up the contacts and allows the car to start. If thats the case, then you need a new starter.

EDIT: Also if your fuel pump is dead, the 'banging' method sometimes help with that as well. Bang on your gas tank a little with a rubber hammer to see if the fuel pump will come to life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also remember:

Fuel, spark, and compression.

If you have those 3 things, your motor will start.

When you turn your key, do you hear the fuel pump prime? That will at least let you know your pump isnt dead - not necessarily rule out fuel from the equation.

When you have your key on, do the interior lights come on? This will at least let you know your battery isnt completely dead.

Verify those two basic things and it will give you a start to fixing your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks 0311grunt!

the interior lights, panel and headlights are all strong, but there is no starter sound at all. there is a slight buzzing sound from the part pictured above, but that's it. according to the wife, the clutch went out, then when she stopped the car, it stalled and would not restart. aaa attempted a jump, but again nothing at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts