Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's like the phallic looking thing on the GT, it's a resonator in all likelihood.
Interesting and thanks! I looked all over the 'net and couldn't really find any info on anything on the airbox side of the ECT. Couldn't even find airbox info in that downloadable maintenance guide that was posted on the forum.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
N5S you so rock! I couldn't find any exploded diagrams of the airbox and associated gear anywhere, thanks!

That's kind of kinky though, wonder why they wouldn't have the air cleaner box (4) just going directly to the air duct (6)?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'm no engineer, so I won't attempt to understand why some things are designed as they are. :confused:

I found that image in the downloadable manual for the GT. I still have the one for my MD, and I can see why you couldn't find it. It's not there! I suspect that's a recent addition to the 1.8, because if you google images of MD engines, there's nothing there on a lot of them. So the coupe, and GT have some design revisions or refinements. It's good to know the designers kept at it through the run.

The only purpose for that I can imagine would be to tone down the volume from the intake at WOT or close to it. I know my limited had a noticeably higher pitch to it on hard acceleration, where the GT sounds "throatier" for lack of a better word. That little tube may be why.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weirder and weirder!!

Thanks N5S yet again.

So strange, I searched and looked at engine pics for the GT and the Coupe - practically all GT's had that thing, but almost all the Coupes did not! Now I'm wondering if maybe it is on MT equipped Coupes or what not, or did someone grab this from the GT line because it was too far to walk to parts?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Would say it's most likely for noise control. How's the sound during full acceleration. Mines does growl quite loudly, that was even before I modded the intake. Which is after I removed part#5 with a bypass tubing.

·
22,793 Posts
I pulled it and it's just an empty hooked tube that has a round closed off end.
I saw something like this last week being removed from...well, the patient will have a semi-lengthy recovery. Not cool. :eek: Some things are better off being left well enough alone. Ingrid doesn't have one. Thank goodness.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would say it's most likely for noise control. How's the sound during full acceleration. Mines does growl quite loudly, that was even before I modded the intake. Which is after I removed part#5 with a bypass tubing.
Honestly mine is pretty quiet under the hood - the air delivery system is all stock except for a K&N drop in. This car either under the hood or out the back doesn't really sound too loud even under acceleration. I guess if anything it has the small engine stock rice burner sound but at least it doesn't sound like a sewing machine ;)
It'll never be a threat to Detroit V8 engine/exhaust sound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts