Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've got an Accent 2003 1.3 GL, 85 bhp, euro 3. *Does anybody know what is the black box in front of the air filter?
What is it doing? What happens if I remove it?
* Actually, I want to replace all air filter sistem with an induction kit (K&N, Pipercross, Green ...). Anybody did this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Willis,

Well I have a 00' GSi and I have a similar black box right in front of the air box. Its a noise supressor. If you want an instant air intake sound, take that box off and let the air run through the hole that it leaves. It will leave about a 2 inch hole at the bottom of the air filter box and it will make you engine sound alittle beefier. Not too shabby for a FREEBIE.

I've had mine off now for about a year and nothing has gone wrong with my car. You might see alittle difference in gas milage but thats going to happen if you get a real air intake system. And this one is free.

I like to put it back on for the winter thou, just peace of mind knowing that no road junk can possibly get up there. ( I think it would be probably be pretty hard to get in that hole anyways) I'm not sure how the new accents are but if its like I say it is, give it a whirl.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've become addicting to removing that stock air box
I can't resist the sound it makes! I was surprised the first time I did it! I thought wow!
That black air box acts as a silencer as mentioned by Gibber, it is also a small snorkel to keep water from getting in.

This will give a slightly increased airflow, but it is a hot air intake.

Good idea to keep it on in winter, Driving in the rain shouldn't be a huge problem though, there is a piece under the front of the car to deflect water.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It is an air feed, it is a good idea to keep it on all of the time!

Take it off and you are going to actually lose power,...believe it or not!
It may only be slight, but you will be loosing not gaining!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Dec 10 2004, 01:29 AM
It is an air feed, it is a good idea to keep it on all of the time!

Take it off and you are going to actually lose power,...believe it or not!
It may only be slight, but you will be loosing not gaining!
[snapback]3502[/snapback]​

I'm guessing it directs the airflow, therefore allowing more airspeed into the intake? I had something similar on my Neon and you could actually feel the power loss. It sounded nice but felt a little soft under wide open throttle.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My air box has a water catch on it, obviously to stop water from going any further.
The sound is indeed amazing, but after five mins of driving it would be sucking in heated radiater air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts