Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new here we pick up our GT tomorrow. I noticed on the bill it stated Security Package $489. We got the extended warranty and rim and tire packages. Is the security package part of the extended warranty.....or did I get ripped off.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Were the items listed on the Maroone sticker or the dealer added addendum sticker? If the Dealer added sticker, items are subject to steep mark up to enhance profits. These added items are generally not subject to the manufacturer's warranty.

Ask some questions about these items. Don't be afraid to say you don't want them and be ready to walk away if they become insistent. Because it is early in the month they may be a bit pushier than they might be on the end of the month.

Ex GM guy myself.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think in Canada, the "security package" might be VIN etching? I have heard others talk about this, but haven't experienced it here in the US. As far as I know it is not required, but something dealers try to do in order to jack up their profit. Same thing with extended warranties. I would look REAL CLOSE at the fine print on the extended warranty. Is it through Hyundai or an aftermarket company? What is covered, what is the deductible and is the deductible per visit, per repair, etc, is the warranty transferable, etc? Do you need to go to your dealer for warranty work, or can you go elsewhere? Also, extended warranty costs vary greatly and can certainly be negotiated if you feel the benefit and the peace of mind is worth the added cost.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ask them what it is. Some dealers add things to new cars and then add that cost to the price. That security package might be a dealer added alarm of some kind. When I was shopping for my Accent I found all sorts of things the dealers added, such as alarms and paint sealants. Don't pay for any of that. If they insist you do, find a new dealer. I found that the bigger, high volume dealers were the best, they didn't add any extras. They were only interested in selling a large volume of vehicles. I only talked to the internet managers, they seemed to able to negotiate a bottom line price without going to ask somebody else. cheers.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think in Canada, the "security package" might be VIN etching? I have heard others talk about this, but haven't experienced it here in the US. As far as I know it is not required, but something dealers try to do in order to jack up their profit. Same thing with extended warranties. I would look REAL CLOSE at the fine print on the extended warranty. Is it through Hyundai or an aftermarket company? What is covered, what is the deductible and is the deductible per visit, per repair, etc, is the warranty transferable, etc? Do you need to go to your dealer for warranty work, or can you go elsewhere? Also, extended warranty costs vary greatly and can certainly be negotiated if you feel the benefit and the peace of mind is worth the added cost.
Companies such as iGlobal put those stupid stickers on each body panel of the car as a security feature, but CBC actually did a report on these that they are a scam from the dealers to make quick coin. CBC also went to surrounding police stations to ask about the iGlobal company and they stated they have never heard of it before. Search it up if you're curious.

Coles notes, it's a scam. It's a sticker with a special number that even if peeled off will glow in the dark BUT if you wet sand it, it disappears. Real fool proof eh? Don't fall for the scam.

Never fall for fabric protection, paint protection as well as it's huge (500%) mark-up for dealers. I used to work at one and they charged $1,500.00 for that package and it cost them $89.00 cost. See their profit?

Now, US cars WILL have the VIN on each body panel from factory so there should be NO additional charge as its mandated by the US Government. Canadian cars do not have this yet, this was my main job at Toyota so I knew the in's and out's of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody it was something to do with my nitro-filled tires and alloy rim warranty.....got them to take it off.
Thanks

·
Registered
918 Posts
For some dealerships, it's a coded sticker they add on body panels, which is useless since each body panel has the VIN on it anyways. For others, it's a window etch with a code. Which is also pointless because of the VIN being on the body panels. All meant to fool the customer that if the car gets stolen, they can make sure it's actually their car through the codes. The VIN does the same thing.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Son of a... I didnt know US law required vin etching...

They had those stupid coded stickers on my car, I told them I didnt want that crap and they told me they could reduce the cost but since it was already installed they could not remove it.. I wanted that exact car and was getting a decent deal on my trade in so I didnt put up a fight.

When my wife is with me I am not a good negotiate because she doesn't like it when I get worked up and make a big deal about little things, she says its embarrassing, I call it saving money haha..

·
Registered
2 Posts
optional

Just bought on Friday and they tried to sell for $498 wheel and tire and the encoding. Not a good deal! The tire and rim package was for 1 year only at a cost of $249 and unless you hit something you paid for $20 of nitrogen. The other $249 is what you pay to have your VIN etched number recorded by a outside company so if your car is stolen and not recovered you get a payout of $5000. I told the dealership I didn't want either package and it wasn't a problem.
Cheers Greg

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi new here we pick up our GT tomorrow. I noticed on the bill it stated Security Package $489. We got the extended warranty and rim and tire packages. Is the security package part of the extended warranty.....or did I get ripped off.
It is a huge waste of money. My wife just got hit with that ploy on her Sonata. It's crap like that you get ripped of with and they put it on the the cars that have the options most people want. So when you bargain down on the price a few hundred, they are still making a big profit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What the dealers give you with one hand (discount), they take away with the other (useless add on charges).

I remember when we bought my wife's Mazda 5, we had a deal on price at one shop, then the business manager added $699 for etching. I just stood up and said "We're done here". And we were. It pissed me off so much we went to another dealership and bought there.

And this was after having to fight with the guy about 0% financing for 84 months. He was swearing up and down it was 1.9%. Luckily I had my printout from the internet.

Pays to do your homework folks - they would have pocketed the financing charges for 7 years as extra profit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A good dealer doesn't do crap like that. Go find a real dealer, a good one. Where they don't add useless crap, and the definitely don't add anything without you knowing exactly what it is.

It's real easy to leave a dealership and tell them 'no' and go find a good dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts