Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This really, really sucks... Has anyone had this type of defect happen with their grille? This seems to have popped up (no pun intended) out of nowhere.

I'm really anal about my car, and things like this drive me crazy. I already wanted to replace my grille because some of the black finish on the top row of the grille had chipped off before I bought it (exposing chrome underneath it), but I have been trying to have some self control knowing that I don't really want to deal with having to take the bumper off and installing a new one--especially in the cold.

I guess now it's time to shop for a new grille!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Yep, seen this before. A sharp rock hits the grill and pops a hole in the chrome or other overlay. Water gets in and the chrome/overlay releases from the base giving the appearance of a bubble or "pop" in the surface.

Sucks, and not repairable short of replacing the affected part. Beware of cheap after market stuff. Some of it will not hold up at all and will look worse than where you started in a very short time.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Is that an aftermarket grill or oem? You can always plastic dip but since you mentioned you’re pretty anal about it (no pun intended) I’d say that’s not an option . I had Roadrun grill on my previous car and the paint job from Korea aren’t good at all, it chips so quick so I had to strip the paint, prime it and paint it again. It’s time consuming but its all well worth it, GL and let us know what you decided to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one is the OE grille. I was actually looking at the Morris Tuning grille... I'd prefer to have a badgeless grille that matches my factory trim. My Santa Fe is white, but I don't mind the white/black scheme at all. I'd rather go that route than go with cheap paint that may not match, because that would REALLY be opening up a whole new can of worms for me. Haha!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yep I’m a big fan of black/white theme because that’s what I have on my previous car and the current SF XL as well. Please be careful with those aftermarket grill and if you decide to get it I’d highly suggest adding more clear coat to prevent those easily chip paint job!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yes, you can see what appears to be the impact mark in the photo.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts