Hyundai Forums banner

801 - 820 of 1001 Posts

·
22,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #801 ·
Another sad fact of life, companies that build products that last a long time, don't stay in business very long.
AKA "Planned obsolescence," yes?

·
22,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #805 · (Edited)
What screws are you referring to? I'd like to check these as well.
NHTSA ID: 10081507 TSB ID: 5NP-V5B5E-09

"Certain 2017 elantra may have lower than specified torque on the fastener securing the outside door handle(s). this may lead to improper operation of the outside door handle(s). this bulletin describes the procedure to check and tighten."

Open any door. Look along the door's edge. You will see a black plastic disc. About the size of a quarter. More or less. Remove with a fingernail. Pops right out.

Look into the access hole. You will see a bolt in there. It must be torqued to about 60-72 in. lbs. Or 5-6 ft. lbs. I did mine. Driver's side was loose. Others, not too much. But all had room to be tightened to the spec.

I believe it's a 8mm socket. A nut-driver will serve just fine. Just snug it up if it turns too easily. Just don't overdo it. Pop the cap back into the hole. Repeat 3 times. Drive on. CAUTION: if you use a 1/4 socket, extension, and ratchet, be careful pulling that combo back out. If that socket comes off the end of the extension, it will drop down, inside. Either say goodbye to it, or start pulling off your door panel. Not my idea of a good time.

Yours may already have been checked. This was quite a bit before you bought yours.

Reactions: Tiger-Heli

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Thst factory leather has a spray sealant over the surface. Not sure you're doing any more than window dressing putting the product on there. I used to think I was. Not so sure, anymore.

HOWEVER, it's worth the extra few minutes to wipe it down if for nothing more than the aromatic effect. That's what I like about the Griot's leather care: that smell.
There's a major difference, trust me. I've used Griot's. With these latest editions with my car detailing through CG products, I've noticed a difference. The conditioner product does the obvious, and the serum product protects from UV sunlight.

Chemical Guys - Leather Serum - Natural Look Conditioner & Protective Coating (16 oz)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
What a pleasant surprise...

The aftermarket swaybar came today. What surprised me - I didn’t know there was these fins added (welded) so the consumer doesn’t have to purchase lateral locks.

Jim is a cool guy. He’s so chill and a complete pleasure being one of his consumers.

His site —>

Performance Auto Parts - Race Car Parts | Pierce Motorsports

I haven’t added the swaybar to my ES 2018 just yet...but I hope to get around to it very soon. I’ve added the strut tower brace, the subframe 4 point...and very soon the swaybar will be put on the car. The car feels so much better with the 2 braces already on the car. I’m pumped to see what a difference the swaybar will add. Oh, and it’s made from chromoly which is a huge difference than conventional steel.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
@Freeway Surfer: Did you post a pic of your ride, yet?
Briefly...I did. I pulled it down from the garage area until I’m more settled with things. I installed the sway bar last night. What a pain. The muffler had to be loosened just a little in order to have the extra room for the 19mm thick s-bar. OEM is 15mm thick.

Too bad I didn’t have aftermarket adjustable end links so I could have banged it all out at once. The OEM end links were a real PITA to torque down. The shop manual said they had to be torqued to 43.4 to 57.9 ft-lb.

Reactions: Tiger-Heli

·
Registered
926 Posts
I just visited that site looking to order some myself. What is the difference between the F2F46 and F3F46 mudguards?
Anybody know the answer to this? The F346 mudguards are more expensive, and on the site they are pictured with a Limited alloy wheel. They appear to be a little beefier. Does anybody know for sure?

·
22,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #812 · (Edited)
Anybody know the answer to this? The F346 mudguards are more expensive, and on the site they are pictured with a Limited alloy wheel. They appear to be a little beefier. Does anybody know for sure?
D*mn, guys! Your timing sucks. I just stumbled upon my shipping invoice for mine back in April of '16. Laid it down, SOMEWHERE in the garage. :puzzled:

They were whatever the dealer's parts mgr. had listed on her screen for the 2017. Maybe they've changed #'s since then. They come in pairs of two: front and back. That may be what you're looking at.

The 2011 I had they came as a set of four. One part number. Took 'em off when I traded it in for the 2013. Transferred & reinstalled to that MD, continued my happy motoring.

If they would've fit my AD, I would have transferred them to it. The things are pretty good quality. They seem to last forever. Provided you don't encounter one of those sleeping parking lot barriers st 30mph. LOL

EDIT: Finding this:

F2F46-AK000 & F2F46-AK100 2017 Elantra, all
F3F46-AC000 & F3F46-AC100 2017-2018 Elantra, all

New model year? Same ol ' guards, new model year numbers, only?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Really losing it, only took me a year to notice the right rear front of the wheel well bottom was not pushed into the rocker panel hole. Looked at the left side, was pushed in, also snaps in.

So used my plastic pry bar to lift it up over that bottom edge of the rocker panel and snapped it in. Took me nine months to discover that heating vent under the passenger front seat was just lying on the floor and not snapped in, so this raises the count to two.

So doing a closer inspection now. Only rattle that is annoying is when my wife leaves the car, that buckle always lands up at an angle, just reach over and straighten it out. Could glue a piece of foam over that plastic, but that would be terrible.

My brother-in-law suddenly passed away last week, 83 year old, brain aneurysm, sudden, and otherwise in perfect health. Was talking to her last night, good thing he wasn't driving when this happened, with that center console in all new vehicles, could never reach over and take control of the vehicle, she could have been killed too.

Was surprised to heat this from her, her technical knowledge is next to zero. My 92 DeVille was the last vehicle I owned with a full front seat, kept that to 2012, but was my highway car and avoided driving it in ice and snow, only reason I kept it that long. Had that to teach my youngest kid in 2005 how to drive, could sit next to her and get full control with both the steering wheel and the brake pedal if necessary. But all this is history now, sure glad I don't have anymore kids.

DOT did this, really no way to add a center airbag in a vehicle unless you got rid of the radio, but in doing so, solved one problem and created another one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Really losing it, only took me a year to notice the right rear front of the wheel well bottom was not pushed into the rocker panel hole. Looked at the left side, was pushed in, also snaps in.

So used my plastic pry bar to lift it up over that bottom edge of the rocker panel and snapped it in. Took me nine months to discover that heating vent under the passenger front seat was just lying on the floor and not snapped in, so this raises the count to two.

So doing a closer inspection now. Only rattle that is annoying is when my wife leaves the car, that buckle always lands up at an angle, just reach over and straighten it out. Could glue a piece of foam over that plastic, but that would be terrible.

My brother-in-law suddenly passed away last week, 83 year old, brain aneurysm, sudden, and otherwise in perfect health. Was talking to her last night, good thing he wasn't driving when this happened, with that center console in all new vehicles, could never reach over and take control of the vehicle, she could have been killed too.

Was surprised to heat this from her, her technical knowledge is next to zero. My 92 DeVille was the last vehicle I owned with a full front seat, kept that to 2012, but was my highway car and avoided driving it in ice and snow, only reason I kept it that long. Had that to teach my youngest kid in 2005 how to drive, could sit next to her and get full control with both the steering wheel and the brake pedal if necessary. But all this is history now, sure glad I don't have anymore kids.

DOT did this, really no way to add a center airbag in a vehicle unless you got rid of the radio, but in doing so, solved one problem and created another one.
Couldn't she just grab the wheel and pull the e-brake? I feel like that's a situation for which the e-brake is designed to be used. Realistically though that situation is extremely rare. I've been an EMT for 7 years and only seen it happen a few times.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Recent tinkering around...

Over the weekend I attempted to install the oil catch cans...but didn’t get them installed >bummer<

Latest tool purchase on Amazon which should help with the AN fittings for the hoses.

Behind the left headlight there’s enough room for the OCC’s, but it’s a tight fit. The pic below was taken to show the room allotment without the cans installed.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hey Fedex...hold on a moment

These catch cans are multiplying! Fedex sent yet another one. Okay, I’m not sponsored just yet...but I’m sure feeling the love. I can’t publicly post what my pull was on these items per cost.

The boxes are massive in size; something like 18” x 18” x 5”. Now if they could just magically install themselves, that would be sweet. I could have it done for me, but that wouldn’t be nearly as fun as installing them myself.

Disappointing moment - I see they corrected their site with the disclaimer about the petcock drain kit. The inside baffle will be deleted if the drain kit is purchased and used.

https://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-baffled-oil-catch-can.html

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,857 Posts
I'm still floating around on the forum for now...

Been so busy and the recent weather change has made me feel sluggish. Things are coming along on my build with my 2018 Sport. I wish I had the time to whip everything on much faster than it's current state.

Here's a teaser pic of the braces (the 4 point -that's right, I went with the 4 point...boo-ya - and the strut brace). The sway bar brace wasn't completed during the purchasing period...but it should be here shortly.

Oh-yeah...that white box. Well that's the certain little thing I've shared in private messages. I don't want anything said publicly on the forum; so those aware of what's inside, keep it to yourself.

Dont worry I'm still alive, just busy with college/life. Thought I would venture to the forums to browse for a bit. The GT Facebook group is booming! Test drove a 2018 ES lest month. Great little car! Might be adding one to the fleet in the future... Between that and the EGTS for another family member. Id love to see all the stuff going on yours though!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Dont worry I'm still alive, just busy with college/life. Thought I would venture to the forums to browse for a bit. The GT Facebook group is booming! Test drove a 2018 ES lest month. Great little car! Might be adding one to the fleet in the future... Between that and the EGTS for another family member. Id love to see all the stuff going on yours though!
Yeah, I need to add photos with all the stuff on. It’s sweet to see you still come here. I completely forgot about your transition into college life. The braces add crazy handling inside corners and whatnot.

I’ll catch ya later through DM

·
22,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #819 ·
Man, I feel like a stranger. Built a 10 x16 work shop and it’s taking up all my time. That and concerts. And it seems like it’s also taking forever to move everything in and organize it. So, I’m peeking in from time to time.

But I did manage to stick a vacuum nozzle inside her today. Need to claybar, seal, and wax before winter comes screaming at us. :eek:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Man, I feel like a stranger. Built a 10 x16 work shop and it’s taking up all my time. That and concerts. And it seems like it’s also taking forever to move everything in and organize it. So, I’m peeking in from time to time.

But I did manage to stick a vacuum nozzle inside her today. Need to claybar, seal, and wax before winter comes screaming at us. :eek:
A few weeks back I detailed the tire and wheels fully by removing them and detailing both sides. It’s a long process but totally worth it.

@Tiger-Heli ...this goes out to you. I finally sucked it up and took a quick pic of the cob lights I installed about 2 months ago. They’re really bright, but balanced just right without being overpowering. Oh-yeah @OkieRich ....I suppose this is the first actual public photo I shared of my car. You know how it is; no matter how much work goes into cleaning the car, it gets dirty and doesn’t look perfect as when it was just cleaned...hence the lack of publicity sharing pics.

All the LEDs installed on my car are from Morimoto with the exception of the reverse lights which are from JDM Astar.

Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum - View Single Post - What happened in or around your 2017+ Elantra today?

Reactions: OkieRich
801 - 820 of 1001 Posts