Hyundai Forums banner
401 - 420 of 447 Posts

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 · (Edited)
I love it when I'm trying to get past the toy aisle without majorly injuring some kid flying around aisle X to see what he can mess up on aisle Y. Sometimes I feel like pushing the cart right into his path for him to have a full frontal encounter with said cart. Can you say, "Waffle-faced kid?" Then gather up his two front teeth off the floor and have them made into a nice set of earrings.
AAANNNDDD...We see the MEAN OkieRich come out tonight! :laughing:

But seriously. :mellow:

At Best Buy the other night, this kid slammed directly into the side of my leg while I was gazing at phone covers. He was old enough to know the word "sorry," but of course he just bounced off and kept going. :rolleyes:

I mean this in no way racist, but only as an observation: It's common around here for Latino children (which above kid was) to run around on the loose with little to no supervision, nor any apology from the parents. I realize there's a language barrier, and also a cultural divide (I have been to Mexico to work with kids, and "helicopter parents" are nowhere to be found there.) I actually appreciate their laid-back ways, and lack of stick-up-butt. They let the kids be kids. But, it would be nice if the kids could have a little bit of supervision and manners. I was allowed to run around as a kid, but was always expected to apologize if I messed up.

Oh, to add: the other day at Goodwill, a little Latino toddler was riding on a little car right out the front door of the store and directly toward the parking lot, where cars are passing through. I literally had to stand in the middle of the doorway and block him from going outside, until the parents nonchalantly took notice (and of course I got no "Thank You" for potentially saving their kid from becoming roadkill.)

Not too many people are. I have been fortunate. My last two were really nice to work with. And Holly even mentioned that her Leaf salesman was great. The good ones are out there, just difficult to find!
Seriously! I probably wouldn't be driving a Leaf if it hadn't been for the salesperson.

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
Some positive and negative Leaf experiences these past couple of days:

2 days ago: Saw quite a few other Leafs that day, both 2012 and 2013. Chatted with one guy with a silver 2012, and he was even so kind as to unplug my car so I wouldn't have to get out. I was at a quick charger because I had to pick up my parents from the airport and drive them to the other side of the Portland area.

Later on, while in the other side of town, charged next to a 2013 SV (mid trim), didn't talk to that person. What was notable is how similar these 2 people were. Average-looking, middle-aged men, both with extremely dirty car exteriors (although mine gets somewhat indecent sometimes, too. Lots of trees around here.) Also, in both situations, I got to the QC right before they did, so I barely got dibs on the charge (only one side can charge at a time).

Today was interesting. After work, I was going to take my stepson home to his mom's house, which is a bit of a drive. So, I went to the QC at Burgerville to charge. I was waiting to have dinner, so was planning on going to the nearby Goodwill store while the car was charging.

I noticed that there were 2 classic El Caminos near the charging station, one blocking one side of the QC. I took the other side, but for the sake of other Leaf drivers, was a bit peeved that he was blocking. Plus, there were a TON of other spots in the lot, so there was absolutely no sense in blocking it. So, I went inside and figured out who the driver was, and approached him and his wife, just to let them know. I tried to be polite, but was also emphatic that although I was able to charge, he may be blocking someone else. They blew me off, saying that I need to "take it up with management."

Then, after talking, I went to Goodwill for a little bit. While I was gone, sure enough, another Leaf pulled up and was blocked out by Mr. El Camino. Apparently, the woman and her husband driving the Leaf were not treated very nicely when they asked if they could plug in there. The El Camino driver was like, "Can't you use one of those?" while pointing to the L2 charger. The lady explained that those were slower than the quick chargers. He told her husband he was going to "bend him in half."

I wasn't a witness to this, but when I came back from Goodwill and saw her, I told her that I had tried to defend her spot, to no avail, and then we commiserated on how rude this El Camino guy was, and she told me the aforementioned story.

She also said the El Camino guy didn't think I was justified because I was not a "paying customer." I found that a bit off-putting, since I spend plenty of money at Burgerville, sometimes like $10 a pop for the vegan burger. It did bother me, so I went inside and bought a drink (I was thirsty anyway).

There is no requirement that you must be a paying customer to use the charging stations, however.

22,874 Posts
Legislation, legislation, and...wait for it...LEGISLATION! If the government wants people to go green, then they have a responsibility to aid them in doing so. In this case, make those charging stations similar to the handicap slots. Start assessing fines and tow 'em away.

I'm not a proponent of BIG government however, something needs to be done...maybe on the municipal level. Attack from that front.

Holly, don't make me come up there and address City Hall Officials at the next council meeting! ;)

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
I wasn't at a full charge going to work today, so was rather low coming home. So, I decided to stop at a QC. This is what I found:

A Prius who thought he could dupe the public into thinking he was legit to park there. Mind you, they do make a Prius Plug-In (of which I've ever only seen one at a L2 charging station) but this was not even a Prius Plug-In. Plus, even if it were, the Prius Plug-ins only use the slower chargers; they do not have the DC Quick Charge Port. I was going to leave the driver a note, but he came out. Some young dude. I was really tired/grumpy, and I was sitting in my car and was like, "Hey! I know your car doesn't plug in! That's pretty inconsiderate." The young d-bag was like, "Whatever." Makes me mad, the apathy. Probably didn't help that I wasn't exactly subtle, but even when I have been nice to people in the past, they've been nasty back, so I don't think it makes an ounce of difference. If someone was rude enough to park there in the first place, they're probably not going to take it well if you actually call them out on it, nice or not.

22,874 Posts
Not a big fan of government intervention & regulation, but clearly something has to be done to protect our EV citizens from having to deal with such an immature group of gas-righteous clowns hogging the charging stations.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
AAANNNDDD...We see the MEAN OkieRich come out tonight! :laughing:

But seriously. :mellow:

At Best Buy the other night, this kid slammed directly into the side of my leg while I was gazing at phone covers. He was old enough to know the word "sorry," but of course he just bounced off and kept going. :rolleyes:

I mean this in no way racist, but only as an observation: It's common around here for Latino children (which above kid was) to run around on the loose with little to no supervision, nor any apology from the parents. I realize there's a language barrier, and also a cultural divide (I have been to Mexico to work with kids, and "helicopter parents" are nowhere to be found there.) I actually appreciate their laid-back ways, and lack of stick-up-butt. They let the kids be kids. But, it would be nice if the kids could have a little bit of supervision and manners. I was allowed to run around as a kid, but was always expected to apologize if I messed up.

Oh, to add: the other day at Goodwill, a little Latino toddler was riding on a little car right out the front door of the store and directly toward the parking lot, where cars are passing through. I literally had to stand in the middle of the doorway and block him from going outside, until the parents nonchalantly took notice (and of course I got no "Thank You" for potentially saving their kid from becoming roadkill.)

Seriously! I probably wouldn't be driving a Leaf if it hadn't been for the salesperson.
I'm not shy like you Holly, when this happens to me I tell them: no one taught you how to say ''merci'' (I speak French here) also not only latino kids but all kids should apologize for their bad behavior.

I wasn't at a full charge going to work today, so was rather low coming home. So, I decided to stop at a QC. This is what I found:

http://s185.photobucket.com/user/mrkvickaH/media/20130810_152338_zps45429119.jpg.html

A Prius who thought he could dupe the public into thinking he was legit to park there. Mind you, they do make a Prius Plug-In (of which I've ever only seen one at a L2 charging station) but this was not even a Prius Plug-In. Plus, even if it were, the Prius Plug-ins only use the slower chargers; they do not have the DC Quick Charge Port. I was going to leave the driver a note, but he came out. Some young dude. I was really tired/grumpy, and I was sitting in my car and was like, "Hey! I know your car doesn't plug in! That's pretty inconsiderate." The young d-bag was like, "Whatever." Makes me mad, the apathy. Probably didn't help that I wasn't exactly subtle, but even when I have been nice to people in the past, they've been nasty back, so I don't think it makes an ounce of difference. If someone was rude enough to park there in the first place, they're probably not going to take it well if you actually call them out on it, nice or not.
if you were living in Quebec you could make a phone call and those blocking the chargers would be towed. That's what the Chevy Volt representative told me at the Montreal Auto Show last winter. Thinking about your experience Holly I asked the lady why I would buy an electric car if the chargers are always blocked and then she told me about that phone number.

22,874 Posts
Towing violators at the charge stations? I'm "all in" for that idea! C'mon Holly. Put on your big girl britches and head on down to City Hall for a little one-on-one with the city manager. They can call it the "Holly Rule!"

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
Got some new stickers for my ride. Updated the one sticker by getting a bolder font and simplifying the message. Also got this "Infinity MPG" sticker from someone on the internet.

22,874 Posts
I LOVE it! Pays to advertise! Hope this gets the word out and onto the streets! Wouldn't it be funny if you COULD actually block city council members from their gas pumps? There'd be a municipal ordinance enacted prohibiting petroleum-dependent car's from blocking EV stations within 48 hours!

· Registered
538 Posts
Got some new stickers for my ride. Updated the one sticker by getting a bolder font and simplifying the message. Also got this "Infinity MPG" sticker from someone on the internet.

want me to make some stickers that you can slap on other peoples cars that do block your station...we make some"next time you will be towed" stickers that are a total PIA to peel off.B)

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
want me to make some stickers that you can slap on other peoples cars that do block your station...we make some"next time you will be towed" stickers that are a total PIA to peel off.B)
LOL...actually, I've read online of people who do just that. I think it's funny, but I feel apprehensive putting flyers or verbally speaking to people already.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
I would put a paper that looks like a city warning under their wiper, some kind of tickets but just a warning that next time the car will be towed. LOL that being said I really like your sticker Holly.

22,874 Posts
Absolutely! The sticker idea rocks. I like the idea of putting a notice of some sort on the violator's vehicle. Maybe a note under the windshield. The mean streak in me would just want to put a sticker on the windshield directly in front of their line of sight. With adhesive that requires a single-edged razor blade to remove.

Or, at least a sticker you could slap on the driver's side as you strolled past without drawing attention to yourself. One that passerby's could read in the adjacent lane. Something like: "I Block EV Chargers." Maybe fluorescent pink with a BIG, bold, black font?

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
LOL...Rich, I've read accounts on the internet of this being done. That is, lines of sight being blocked with stickers. Still, the Christian in me remembers that vengeance belongs not to me, but the higher power in the sky, so sometimes I have to give up my strong urge to get even. A nice note is one thing (it's making them aware without actual revenge) but putting a sticker on it, although hilarious, may not make me any friends. Plus, I'd have to be ultra sneaky so as not to get caught.

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 ·
Exactly.

BTW, I just wanted to mention that I used a clay bar followed with wax on my car for the first time a couple of days ago, and it really made her shine!

22,874 Posts
Wanted to share my 7,000th post with you, Holly. And also to thank you for not kicking me off, yet. LOL AND, putting up with my nonsense from time-to-time.

What a great group this is... Proud to be a member! :)

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
Wow, Rich! I am extremely honored that you would use it on my silly Leaf thread. ;) People like yourself are exactly the reason I continue being a mod here and haven't lost interest, even over a year of not having my Elantra.

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 ·
Yesterday, I was about to have an evening of fun with my sister. We met at the Clackamas Town Center mall near my house, [where the picture of the Prius blocking was also taken.] As we were planning on driving a ways to eat out together and my battery was low-ish, I decided to plug in.

It was, at this time, that I encountered perhaps the first truly rude fellow Leaf owner in my year+ time of owning the vehicle. She was driving a brand-new 2013 Leaf in the S trim, which is their new "stripped-down" version. She was double parked across both charging spots. I tried to see if I could squeeze into the spot next to her (there was a bush to my right) but it just wasn't going to happen. I was a bit nervous to approach her because once someone has plugged into the DC Quick Charge, it's not just like you pull the plug out. You have to stop it on the machine, wait a few moments for the plug to unlock from the vehicle, then release. To re-charge, you then must go through the whole sign-in process again. So, I didn't want to make her unplug necessarily, but since she was taking up both spots and I wanted to leave my car there, I did need her to move.

She had her door open, and as I approached, I saw her talking on her cell phone. She didn't even look at me, and just gave me very rude and passive wave as if to dismiss me. I said tersely something like, "You're blocking the other spot."

After waiting a minute or so, she finally got out and unplugged. Rather than just moving over, though, she left. I came back later and saw another 2013 Leaf in the same color (dark grey), and it first thought she had come back, but it was an SL (fully loaded) one instead.

401 - 420 of 447 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.