Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Opposite here! Many Leafs and few iMievs on the road. :mellow:
My wife and I went for a walk with the dog yesterday evening to enjoy the last days of summer. At a stop sign we saw an i-Miev, a delivery guy from the drugstore, I asked my wife to listen.....no engine sound.....she was amazed. Those cars are very fast, it accelarated as fast as a car with an engine. I was impressed but not the dog LOL

· Registered
5,647 Posts
My wife and I went to the new Scores restaurant that just opened downtown, we had a gift card as a wedding gift, at the entrance of the restaurant was an i-Miev with the logo of the restaurant on the doors, it is the home delivery car ;) definitely a lot of i-Miev in my city but they are bought by restaurants and stores. I*looked inside and noticed it has a normal automatic shifter instead of a puck.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Today, I drove my husband to work, which is pretty much on the opposite side of the Portland Metro area (30 miles one way) in my Leaf. I spent all day over in Hillsboro working on job stuff at the library over there, and stopped by a Nissan dealer for a free charge-up. Walked to a nearby Izzy's and bought myself some lunch, etc. Later on, picked him back up, drove to Popeye's for unhealthy fried chicken, and then went to Fred Meyer for another charge-up. Left her there for a few hours (husband drove me home in Xterra).

And i-Miev is actually considered one of the more sluggish of the electric cars. You'd be impressed with the pick-up on my Leaf. ^_^ Also, the puck is just a Nissan oddity.
If the i-Miev is sluggish it seemed to accelarate fast from the stop sign but I'm impressed by the torque your Leaf has! How long can you drive without charging it? do you miss your Elantra?

· Registered
5,647 Posts
It's weird having a car you must plug somewhere far from home and walk LOL I use my car because I don't want to walk LOL it's like driving my Elantra to the nearest gas station and walk back home and walk back to the gas station to pick up my car when the tank is full. Not sure I like the idea.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Well, Blink started charging me today. Didn't know it at first, which sucks, because I went to Wal-Mart, which was across the street from where my husband was getting his car stereo installed, so I decided to go over there and charge while I was waiting. Well, non-EVs blocking all chargers. :angry: Then, a lady moved from a spot that wasn't an EV spot, but was barely close enough to reach. So I charged there for a few minutes, then when I saw an actual EV spot open up, moved there to free up the other space for regular cars. Anyway, to make a long story short, it charged me $1.50 each time, for the full hour, even though I hadn't been there for an hour. Woops. Still cheaper than gas, I have to tell myself.

Then, we went for some shopping and dinner at Olive Garden, so I plugged into another Blink station in the parking lot between all the places we were going. 3 hours = $4.50.
EV stations are not like disabled parking? you get towed or get a ticket?

That's cool, I've never heard of Plug-In Partners; sounds interesting. Blink is definitely the most common around here and is still free (prob. won't stay that way).

Around here, hybrids are extremely common, the Prius being #1. However, I went downtown again today and saw a lot of Insights. Also, more Leafs downtown; fewer in the 'burbs.

However, when charging today, another Leaf parked next to mine and was charging. I was chillin' in my car and the people came back out. Asked them how they like their car. Said they'd had it over a year and they are happy with it.
I beleive you, when I drove in Belleville near Seattle and in British Columbia I noticed Prius and Insights to be all around.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
EM I feel sad for you. As I see the situation, I understand your husband for not wanting to let you drive his toy, it's a man thing but you're his wife and he should trust you, at least try hard. It's only material. I remember with my first brand new car, a 1992 Ford Probe, I didn't want my girlfriend of that time to take it but I always let her take my car, one winter she rear ended a jeep because the road was icy. She brought the car back home and started to cry like a baby, she knew she just broke my toy, I took her in my arms and told her not to worry, it was just material and it will be fixed. All that mattered was if she was OK. (sorry for bad english) I know how you must feel, like you can't be trusted, he told you you could take his xTerra so he did not have to treat you like he did, like if you were responsible for his decision. In french we call this ''chantage émotif'' I think in english it would be ''emotional blackmail'' it's a form of manipulation. I see something familiar going between the two of you. In therapy (Yeah I had many therapies but don't tell anyone) I learned how to deal with those people, you must get out of the Karpman drama triangle as they call it. Imagine a triangle with those 3 words: Persecutor, Rescuer and Victim. If you are not in the triangle, you will disarm him. It's not easy but you can do it by the way you talk to him, ask him questions about his feelings, telling him this is how he feels not how you feel about a given situation. In this case he is a persecutor and you are a victim, it's unconscious. If you want to learn more about the topic read the link below. My mom used to be my persecutor and I was the victim but now that I'm not in the triangle anymore she completely lost control over me and she respects me now. ;)

The Karpman Drama Triangle | Coaching Supervision Academy

Karpman drama triangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

· Registered
5,647 Posts
I'm glad I could help. I hope the understanding of the Karpman drama triangle will help you deal with other human being! Fortunately that 666 number won't appear anymore in the future ;) what's the gauge on the left? on a normal car it would be the engine temperature gauge but what is it in your car?

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Here is a dumb question, why would you not want to charge to 100%

Also thats crazy about not sharing vehicles. All of the married couples I know swap daily drivers, specialty vehicles are another story. Lately my wife has been driving my car more than me. Saves money on gas that way at the moment.
I'm safe, my wife doesn't want to drive my Elantra because it's manual and she's scared of it. She wants my next car to be autotragic but I don't want cause it's my toy.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Kind of a rough day overall (not all car-related) but some highlights:

Went downtown to run a couple of errands, and on the way back stopped at my quick charger. Another white (2011) Leaf pulled in, and the guy and I ended up chatting for a bit. He mentioned he was on a Leaf forum, and I asked him which one, and it ends up we're both on the same Leaf forum (it's pretty big, but still cool.)

He also told me about a quick charger closer to my house that I never knew about.

The bad news:

Went to local Fred Meyer, and all chargers were blocked today, and rude people to boot.

Almost got pulverized by a semi today while waiting at a light. He was turing in on me. I think if I hadn't honked, he would have just driven right into me. Sent me into a panic!
I hope you are relaxed now EM. I learn new words here and there on this forum. I had to Yahoo the word ''errands'' I sort of guessed it meant something like going somewhere to buy something or do the grocery. Def: ''a short and quick trip to accomplish a specific purpose, as to buy something, deliver a package, or convey a message, often for someone else.'' I'm smarter now, thank you. Merci beaucoup.
:)

· Registered
5,647 Posts
These things about your Leaf are interesting. The funny thing is that 15 or 20 years from now people will be laughing about 100 mile range and such large batteries. Everybody with several cars will probably have an electric or something like the Volt that has best of both worlds and a 40mpg car will be a joke.

I remember some concepts in the past where electric cars could visit battery swap stations for extended range driving. Basically you pull in to station and attendant removes discharged battery and inserts charged one in about 5 minutes just like stopping for gas. I wonder if something like that will ever exist.

Speaking of insomnia I got a second interview for this night job working 12 hour shifts 7-7. Its a tech support job at 24x7x365 data processing center. The cool thing is that you only really work 7 of 14 days on a rotating schedule. It would be an interesting adjustment but I would actually have more time with my family than a regular day shift. At this point I gotta do whatever it takes to get in the door with a good company. I suspect I may like working nights too.
this 40 MPG is a joke and nothing new, a friend of mine, many years ago, did 42 MPG with is 90 something Mazda Protegé. I read somewhere that 1992 was the year where cars were the most fuel efficient and I beleive it my 1992 Ford Probe did very good.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Wow! I don't like the decals on the side of that depicted Leaf, but cool!

I think you may be worse than I. ;) I don't usually leave if there is no "safe" parking. My Leaf feels narrorwer from the outside (less shape?) and I don't worry about it as much as I did the Elantra because it doesn't have that "fluidic sculpture" sticking out to get easily dented.

Also, something weird: other Leaf owners, no matter how close they park, seem to be careful toward other Leafs. I had one park REALLY close to me - not even sure how this person got out - and when I checked for dents, there were none. Not even a scratch.

However, the lady I mentioned seeing yesterday, her attitude was weird. Not to be against any one group of people, but there are many Russians and other eastern Europeans around my particular locale, and many have a very "hard" attitude. Apparently some of them drive EVs now, too! :eek:

Around my Leaf today: Had a job interview, went really well but I don't want to get my hopes up YET.

Tomorrow, I take Kato (dog) for his neutering appointment. Enjoy your last day with balls, pup! :eek:
hahaha! you remind to get my dog neutered, she is 8 years old now......

· Registered
5,647 Posts
:confused::mellow: 8 years!? Just wanted to point out, if it's a female dog, you get the dog "spayed." Neutering is for male dogs only. :)
Ok you remind me to get my dog spayed. Thanks for this new word again, don't forget I'm french Canadian so I do what I can with the vocabulary I know. In french we just say ''stérilisation/sterilisé'' (sterilization/sterilized) for both male and female . YEAH my vet recommended me to get her spayed to prevent cancer.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.