Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
I was curious so I checked in Austin and they are currently offering unlimited charging for $5 a month Plug-In Partners for Drivers i suspect this will go up in price over time but its a good way to kickstart the program. I definitely have no issue with my tax dollars funding this.

These definitely do not exist in KY though. I hardly even see a hybrid vehicle out here.

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
Here is a dumb question, why would you not want to charge to 100%

Also thats crazy about not sharing vehicles. All of the married couples I know swap daily drivers, specialty vehicles are another story. Lately my wife has been driving my car more than me. Saves money on gas that way at the moment.

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
We don't. LOL Wife doesn't care to drive my Elantra, preferring her Tucson. If I'm with her in her car, I'm usually relegated to the position of "passenger." Once in a blue moon, she'll let me drive her Tucson. And I'm okay with it that way!
I agree with the second part as I have only been a passenger in my Elantra a few times, typically after a few too many :beer:

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
If tax dollars are subsidizing chargers then cities will soon have to start issuing tickets to vehicles not using them. The ones I saw in Austin before I moved were at Walgreens and Walmart. Walmart had them right up front in prime parking areas and Walgreens had them off to the side corner of their lot. I suppose the people of Walmart are taking up the charging slots by now wherever they can.

On an an unrelated note insomnia sucks.

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
These things about your Leaf are interesting. The funny thing is that 15 or 20 years from now people will be laughing about 100 mile range and such large batteries. Everybody with several cars will probably have an electric or something like the Volt that has best of both worlds and a 40mpg car will be a joke.

I remember some concepts in the past where electric cars could visit battery swap stations for extended range driving. Basically you pull in to station and attendant removes discharged battery and inserts charged one in about 5 minutes just like stopping for gas. I wonder if something like that will ever exist.

Speaking of insomnia I got a second interview for this night job working 12 hour shifts 7-7. Its a tech support job at 24x7x365 data processing center. The cool thing is that you only really work 7 of 14 days on a rotating schedule. It would be an interesting adjustment but I would actually have more time with my family than a regular day shift. At this point I gotta do whatever it takes to get in the door with a good company. I suspect I may like working nights too.

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
Thanks Holly hopefully I get this one, seems like a good company and I liked the person who would be my manager.

this 40 MPG is a joke and nothing new, a friend of mine, many years ago, did 42 MPG with is 90 something Mazda Protegé. I read somewhere that 1992 was the year where cars were the most fuel efficient and I beleive it my 1992 Ford Probe did very good.
My first car also got good mpg Fuel Economy of the 1988 Ford Festiva but it was not very safe or comfortable. The addition of power everything, and many safety features really dragged down the mpg of modern cars.

Back in 1993-94 when gas was cheap I could drive all week on $5

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
i do not like people parking close to me...i always look to find a place where i feel safe..not always easy and more than once i end up leaving without doing what i set out to do...

BTW...your car made the rival hyundai forum...:)
Nissan Leaf - ElantraClub - For Hyundai Owners and Enthusiasts
Yeah I usually try to park out of the way too but I'm slowly giving up since it seems that people go out of the way to park next to you anyway.

And lol the club is hardly a rival forum. Half of our members in Elantra section probably visit there. I visit on occasion and some of their mods visit here too.

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
Glad to hear your side job is working out. Hopefully you get some more time on your next project. Since you like cars you may also consider doing some custom stuff for cars in the future. My buddy was into hotrods and classic car restoration and those guys pay a pretty penny for high quality upholstery and interior fabric work.

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
This whole limited range business would make me nervous. Of course now I am only commuting 10 miles each way all city so I could in theory drive back and forth to work all week on one charge. I'm just not ready to accept this technology as normal.

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
Funny I used to do the same thing in my Focus which was quick off the line and that's about it. Now I do the opposite and take off really slowly when somebody is acting like that. I think that pisses them off even more.

· Retired Staff
11,821 Posts
I saw my first Leaf in KY today. With no charging stations anywhere around here I was very surprised to see one. I used to see them fairly regularly in Austin. I also saw a Volt last week in my work parking lot but that vehicle makes more sense in a place like this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.