Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 447 Posts

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was an Elantra owner, I was able to participate in the "What Happened In or Around my Elantra Today" thread. But now that I've traded her in for a '12 Nissan Leaf, I can no longer participate. So, I've started my own thread dedicated to the Leaf and what happens in/around it.

Today: Ran some errands, including washing my car cover at the laundromat so that I could put it on the Leaf. Then I washed, waxed, and cleaned the windows, wheels and tires. Looks great.

My husband also washed his Xterra today and I helped him get some water spots off, to his amazement.

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention, I was waiting at a long turn out of Walmart, and a black Leaf pulled up behind me. The lady driving it gave me the thumbs-up and I gave her one back. :D

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't seen a Leaf in my city but there are many i-MiEV. A local drugstore bought a few ones for their home delivery service.
Opposite here! Many Leafs and few iMievs on the road. :mellow:

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't drive my Leaf much today. Just moved it out of the way of the people doing yard work. I myself helped hold a ladder and rake branches that our friend was trimming off the tall bushes.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Opposite here! Many Leafs and few iMievs on the road. :mellow:
My wife and I went for a walk with the dog yesterday evening to enjoy the last days of summer. At a stop sign we saw an i-Miev, a delivery guy from the drugstore, I asked my wife to listen.....no engine sound.....she was amazed. Those cars are very fast, it accelarated as fast as a car with an engine. I was impressed but not the dog LOL

· Registered
5,647 Posts
My wife and I went to the new Scores restaurant that just opened downtown, we had a gift card as a wedding gift, at the entrance of the restaurant was an i-Miev with the logo of the restaurant on the doors, it is the home delivery car ;) definitely a lot of i-Miev in my city but they are bought by restaurants and stores. I*looked inside and noticed it has a normal automatic shifter instead of a puck.

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today, I drove my husband to work, which is pretty much on the opposite side of the Portland Metro area (30 miles one way) in my Leaf. I spent all day over in Hillsboro working on job stuff at the library over there, and stopped by a Nissan dealer for a free charge-up. Walked to a nearby Izzy's and bought myself some lunch, etc. Later on, picked him back up, drove to Popeye's for unhealthy fried chicken, and then went to Fred Meyer for another charge-up. Left her there for a few hours (husband drove me home in Xterra).

My wife and I went for a walk with the dog yesterday evening to enjoy the last days of summer. At a stop sign we saw an i-Miev, a delivery guy from the drugstore, I asked my wife to listen.....no engine sound.....she was amazed. Those cars are very fast, it accelarated as fast as a car with an engine. I was impressed but not the dog LOL
And i-Miev is actually considered one of the more sluggish of the electric cars. You'd be impressed with the pick-up on my Leaf. ^_^ Also, the puck is just a Nissan oddity.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Today, I drove my husband to work, which is pretty much on the opposite side of the Portland Metro area (30 miles one way) in my Leaf. I spent all day over in Hillsboro working on job stuff at the library over there, and stopped by a Nissan dealer for a free charge-up. Walked to a nearby Izzy's and bought myself some lunch, etc. Later on, picked him back up, drove to Popeye's for unhealthy fried chicken, and then went to Fred Meyer for another charge-up. Left her there for a few hours (husband drove me home in Xterra).

And i-Miev is actually considered one of the more sluggish of the electric cars. You'd be impressed with the pick-up on my Leaf. ^_^ Also, the puck is just a Nissan oddity.
If the i-Miev is sluggish it seemed to accelarate fast from the stop sign but I'm impressed by the torque your Leaf has! How long can you drive without charging it? do you miss your Elantra?

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nissan gives you free charges?
Yep! And this wasn't even the dealership I bought it from, and they were more than happy to let me charge there.

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This morning my husband and I drove our Nissans to the dealer to drop off the Xterra for the tow package and side step installs.

BTW, forgot to mention that I got a second "wave" yesterday from another Leaf owner. Hehe.

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today, I was getting on 205-N from an onramp, and I had a full car (husband in front, kids in back). As I was speeding up on the ramp to merge, this guy in a '90s Lincoln Continental sped past me to my right, literally on the shoulder. There was no reason for him doing this, as I was going plenty fast and I wasn't stopping him from being able to merge or anything. Then there was a traffic control light that we had to stop at, and you know I laid on my horn.

After getting on the freeway, I caught up to him and got behind him, just to psych him out a bit (like maybe act like I was gettin' his plates). Well, then he pulled away and kept on driving crazy, and there was no way I was going to mimic that.

But my husband got mad at me for honking at him, because he was afraid the guy would try and get out of his car and punch me or something. Um, yeah, the guy's gonna punch ME because I am the one driving badly - NOT.

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forgot to mention - we were waiting at the traffic control lights to the freeway onramp, and we had the windows down, as well as the guy in a truck next to us. He was like, "Is that all electric?" and we're like, "Yep!" and he asked, "Is it a prototype?" and we're like, "Nope, you can buy it!" :p

· Registered
362 Posts
The guy in the Lincoln was probably embarassed that a leaf can outrun his car and tried to show you that his car was still faster. Yep, you just burned $10.00 worth of fuel accelerating buddy.

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HAHA...so true, Jun.

Another rude person today. We went to Fred Meyer to do some shopping and charge up a little, and there was someone parked in my usual spot where I charge my car, so I had to park in the one next to it, which was fine. The cord is pretty long from the charger. But then, another car pulled up into the other electric charging spot (a Subaru Forester) and 4 hippie-looking girls, some with dreadlocks, got out. The spot is clearly marked with a sign specifying it's for EV's, and the charger is right in front of it. There were no other spots that an EV could park to charge.

I was like, "Hey, that's an electric car charging spot!" and one of the girls was like, "Yep, sure is!" and walked away. Pretty surprising that these so-called hippies in their dirty Subaru would care so little. I mean, luckily for me, I live pretty close by and so charging up there wasn't essential, but imagine if someone had traveled quite a ways and needed to charge up badly, and stumbled upon their charging spot being entirely blocked!

They were still parked there when we came back out, so I wrote a polite note explaining that the electric charging spot is important because it's our only way to fuel; we can't get gas.

· Registered
362 Posts
If the Subaru was dirty...whats another scratch right?.....from your key....

6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the Subaru was dirty...whats another scratch right?.....from your key....
The thought crossed my mind, but I decided to take the high road and not make a bad name for EV owners, lol. ^_^ Don't need bad CAR-ma! :D

· Registered
362 Posts
I just checked and we have free 7 level 2 charging stations in my city (Rancho Cucamonga, Ca) just in case an EV car is in my future. I may wait for the range to go up and the price to come down some more.

1 - 20 of 447 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.