Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD. Wishing the past couple of months I have changed:

Lower control arms including new ball joints on both sides
Inner and outer tie rods on both sides
New front hubs on both sides
New front struts on both sides
New Sway bar links on both sides.

I have lifted both sides and used a pry bar to find something in the front end that may be loose, but with no luck.

However, at low speeds I get a very distinct clunking when going over even slightly rough surfaces. It seems to mostly be coming from the front right (passenger side). I have checked everything that was recently replaced and can find no hint of what may be causing this.

The noise seems to get pronounced when I'm going slow over a rough surface and I turn the steering wheel.

The only things I can think of that haven't been changed already are the sway bar-to-frame rubber bushes, motor mounts tranny mounts or possibly something in the steering system.

Just wondering is this scenario sounds familiar and if anyone has any suggestions what to check and how to check it?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Playing parts darts is expensive. Seeing it is louder when turning check the rod ends where the tie rod joins the rack. They are also replaceable and should have no movement. You can check by jacking one side up and trying to rock the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock position. If you think there is movement remove the rack boot clamp and pull the boot back so you can see the joint.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Playing parts darts is expensive. Seeing it is louder when turning check the rod ends where the tie rod joins the rack. They are also replaceable and should have no movement. You can check by jacking one side up and trying to rock the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock position. If you think there is movement remove the rack boot clamp and pull the boot back so you can see the joint.
Th parts that have been replace so far are not for this noise, but rather because they all need to be replaced (car has 265k miles). There had been a different type of noise that replacing the lower control arm fixed, but this is a new and different noise. I should have been clearer about this in my first post. Even though the inner AND outer tie rods have been replace, I did check them anyway and found no issues.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You are right, the noise may come from subframe bushing or motor mount bushing. To check the subframe bushings, remove the bolts and washer and see if the inner sleeves are separate from the rubber. If you can hear slightly clunking noise when you push the gear from P to D, accelerating or braking hard, that's motor mounts.

sway bar bushings usually won't cause any noise, but for a 10 year old car, replacing them will improve the steering, and they are cheap. If there's enough space to remove the bolts, you can just replace them

·
Registered
75 Posts
My son's 2010 has 85k miles and rides like a coal cart, particularly up front. Same symptoms you have described, I hate the "parts darts" idea but I have not been able to find anyone to properly diagnose.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Hyundai did have a problem with the OE front struts. The seized up and would not move up and down. I had a customer where the left failed so they replaced only the faulty one.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Early 2000's Excel models. There were others but not sure which ones. They got a reputation around the industry with the problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update! FIXED!

I finally gave in and took it to my local auto repair shop and at first they couldn't find what was causing the noise, but then after they had it up on the lift and the guy shook the sway bar with all his might, he could duplicate the sound on the passenger side, but not on the driver's side. At first he told me that I needed a new sway bar link, but I insisted that I had just changed them on both sides. After some more investigating he found that the nut (nylock) on one end of the passenger side link wasn't completely tight! I suspect what happened was I had used a wrench that was too think to hold the back side of the joint while I wrenched on the nut and probably tightened the nut up against the wrench and not the flat of the link ball. I need to invest in some thin wrenches for such things I guess.

Anyway, he tightened the nut properly and the noise has vanished! Lesson learned.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Early 2000's Excel models. There were others but not sure which ones. They got a reputation around the industry with the problem.
LC Accent would compress and not rebound,, sometime 1 side, maybe both,, funy to drive with solid front suspension,, hit a bump,,,,, HANG ON.. think I may have seen an XD Elantra too, though dont recall

1 - 13 of 13 Posts