Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All from this Newbie!
I have a 2009 2.2 CRD and tow a caravan with a weight of about 1850kgs. I thought that with a tow weight of 2000kgs the Fe would tow my van easily.
To my dismay I find that although the tow is stable I have had problems with the transmission fluid getting too hot. With this problem the engine warning light has come on.
My local dealership recommended I have an after market transmission cooler fitted. I thought there was a cooler fitted from factory...do I know something that the dealership does'nt? Do you have any tow problems or is it just me? Good to be on the forum!

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (MG Cruiser @ Oct 7 2010, 07:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361755
Hi All from this Newbie!
I have a 2009 2.2 CRD and tow a caravan with a weight of about 1850kgs. I thought that with a tow weight of 2000kgs the Fe would tow my van easily.
To my dismay I find that although the tow is stable I have had problems with the transmission fluid getting too hot. With this problem the engine warning light has come on.
My local dealership recommended I have an after market transmission cooler fitted. I thought there was a cooler fitted from factory...do I know something that the dealership does'nt? Do you have any tow problems or is it just me? Good to be on the forum!

You are correct in that your Fe has a transmission cooler fitted from the factory which is sufficient for cooling the vehicle as purchased, however you have now installed a hitch and tow a caravan which has placed additional load on the drive system and whis overloads the cooling system. (Transmission and engine) With the addition of a after market cooler it will not only keep the transmission fluid cooler but also off load your existing engine cooling system and the engine will run a bit cooler.

The price of a cooler is much less than repairing a transmission. One of the best buys you can make. Get the largest you can place in front of the rad as you will need it on a real hot day.

What I do is manually shift when towing. This will keep you engine RPM up and causes less heat build up in the system.

In addition to the towing of a caravan, I now read in another post that you have upgraded the fuel metering system to raise your HP from 114 to 141 KW. This additional HP could already be taxing you cooling system on hot days and with the towing I can see you would have oil heating problems. More HP used, means more cooling capacity is needed. The Radiator is sized for the original configuration and with these upgrades is now taxing you system. The transmission cooling is just a series of loops of tubing in the radiator tank and with the addition of an aux cooler would assist in off loading some of this heat load.

Just my two bits.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How can you tell if it has a transmission cooler on it?

I have a 2007 3.3L loaded (not limited though). It has a hitch on it that i assume that came from factory. can i crawl under neath and see something or? How do i tell?

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use a stock standard SF for towing, without any problems apparent whatsoever, touch wood. Occasionally, cough cough, the payload is two tonnes plus the weight of the trailer. I need to take building materials to jobs we do in the country, so I travel at high speed, up to the speed limit, up and down hills and have covered several thousands of kms. I have an el cheapo third party tow bar and hitch and no modifications to the cooling.

As the other post has mentioned, your problem may be caused by the power upgrade chip. Years ago I used to tinker with performance engines for cars and boats and inevitably the heat output increased with increased power, occasionally causing failures.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
The factory transmission cooler resembles a second, smaller radiator located in front of the main radiator. If you don't have one, you definitely need one to tow that much weight. 1850 kg is a lot for a vehicle of this design. In North America most people use a V8 truck for that sort of duty, and even Hyundai does not recommend pulling that much with a Santa Fe. I tow less than 900 kg with my 3.3 V6, and find that to be a comfortable limit.

My suggestion when driving is to use manual shifting to keep rpm a bit higher, especially when climbing hills. Modern transmissions are programmed to keep RPM as low as possible, which can lead to transmission overheating when pulling a heavy load. Counter-intuitive as it may seem (especially with a diesel), you need to keep the engine spinning under load to keep transmission temperature down.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Oct 11 2010, 03:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362583
... In North America most people use a V8 truck for that sort of duty, and even Hyundai does not recommend pulling that much with a Santa Fe....
There are not too many V8 cars available these days in most countries outside North America. Most people have downsized because of the ridiculous fuel prices and some concern for the environment. The price of cars and trucks is very high here and it is not an option to keep a spare truck just for towing.

The Australian standard spec SF is rated for 2000 kgs towing or near enough to 2 tons (with braked trailer, of course.)

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (murraycod @ Oct 11 2010, 04:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362588
There are not too many V8 cars available these days in most countries outside North America. Most people have downsized because of the ridiculous fuel prices and some concern for the environment. The price of cars and trucks is very high here and it is not an option to keep a spare truck just for towing.
We can both agree that North Americans are spoiled by cheap gas and even cheaper credit. But before we get too preachy, however, let's also keep in mind that (1) dragging around a recreational trailer is an uneconomical, ecologically-destructive extravagance no matter where you do it, and (2) Doing so with the bare minimum of equipment is asking for trouble.

Overheating is the #1 thing to expect when loading a vehicle to 99% of its capacity and heading off on a long drive. When setting the recommended towing limit, the manufacturer cannot possibly anticipate the ambient temperature, average cruising speed, changes in elevation and other factors that one will encounter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Oct 11 2010, 02:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362704
We can both agree that North Americans are spoiled by cheap gas and even cheaper credit. But before we get too preachy, however, let's also keep in mind that (1) dragging around a recreational trailer is an uneconomical, ecologically-destructive extravagance no matter where you do it, and (2) Doing so with the bare minimum of equipment is asking for trouble.

Overheating is the #1 thing to expect when loading a vehicle to 99% of its capacity and heading off on a long drive. When setting the recommended towing limit, the manufacturer cannot possibly anticipate the ambient temperature, average cruising speed, changes in elevation and other factors that one will encounter.
I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Are you suggesting that Hyundai have misrepresented the towing capacity of the SF? They sold the vehicle in Australia with full knowledge of Australian conditions and rated it for 2000 kgs towing.

The OP is attempting to tow less than that and has a problem with overheating oil. I can tow 2000 kgs plus and have had no such problem. There must be some other factor affecting his car. The OP has a diesel engine which should be better than my 2.7 petrol engine for towing.

BTW it is discourteous for you to lecture the OP about how he uses his car. If he wants to tow a caravan, that is his business.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a heavy duty 5X8 trailer that I use for my quad. Several times I have had a yard of gravel in it. The the Santa Fe pulls it great. Lots of power to keep up with traffic but you do have to allow some extra stopping distance as the trailer does not have any brakes on it.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (murraycod @ Oct 12 2010, 01:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362907
I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Are you suggesting that Hyundai have misrepresented the towing capacity of the SF?
My point is simply that 2,000 kg is a lot for a vehicle of this size, and thus prone to overheating at the limit.

QUOTE (murraycod @ Oct 12 2010, 01:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362907
BTW it is discourteous for you to lecture the OP about how he uses his car. If he wants to tow a caravan, that is his business.
Nice try, but my words were clearly not directed at the OP. They were directed at your comment about environmentalism. But either way I didn't mean to judge anyone... I am a recreational tower myself. :57:

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (murraycod @ Oct 11 2010, 10:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362907
I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Are you suggesting that Hyundai have misrepresented the towing capacity of the SF? They sold the vehicle in Australia with full knowledge of Australian conditions and rated it for 2000 kgs towing.

The OP is attempting to tow less than that and has a problem with overheating oil. I can tow 2000 kgs plus and have had no such problem. There must be some other factor affecting his car. The OP has a diesel engine which should be better than my 2.7 petrol engine for towing.

You may not have any problems with overheated oil in your towing as a standard spec SF but the OP does no longer have a standard spec SF as by his own admission he has a Steinbauer upgrade fuel metering chip in his SF bring his HP up from 114Kw to 141Kw an increase of 24% coupled with an increase in torque of about 19% and the power band runs from 1500- top rpm. ( standard power band is from 1800-2500) He also says that his economy has increased. His quote from another thread is below. With this increase in Hp of 24% and his torque curve being 300 Rpm lower, coupled with his increase in economy,( which means to me that the engine combustion is leaner) is all contributing to his heating problem in my mind. So claiming that he should not be having heating problems with his unit as it is a stock unit is absurd. He has modified the Hp and torque curve of his engine and is now living with the problems that he himself has created.

Quote from other thread
Hi
I have the Steinbauer upgrade for the fuel metering on my 2009. The 2009 Kw of 114 is upgraded to 141Kw with an increase in torque of about 19%. The Power band goes from 1800-2500 to 1500-through the rev range. The Power is smooth and the economy has increased. Look at the current 4WD Magazine as they have done a test on alot of "chips". The Steinbauer came out on top. I do not know if they do an upgrade for the 2010 yet!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (dunmovin @ Oct 16 2010, 05:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363917
You may not have any problems with overheated oil in your towing as a standard spec SF but the OP does no longer have a standard spec SF as by his own admission he has a Steinbauer upgrade fuel metering chip in his SF
Thanks to dunmovin for setting things straight.

Stating one's engine mods up-front should be mandatory in threads like this. Otherwise it is a waste of everyone's time... like the patient who complains of mysterious stomach pains without bothering to mention that he just finished swallowing a bucket of toenail clippings. :rant2:

Engine upgrades are not free. They place an extra load on the transmission which, when coupled with heavy towing duty, is a recipe for disaster. The OP is going to fry his transmission, and if Hyundai finds out about the engine mod you can bet the warranty will be fried too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Oct 16 2010, 03:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363901
My point is simply that 2,000 kg is a lot for a vehicle of this size, and thus prone to overheating at the limit.

Nice try, but my words were clearly not directed at the OP. They were directed at your comment about environmentalism. But either way I didn't mean to judge anyone... I am a recreational tower myself. :57:

Most of the "advice" you have given in this thread is ill-informed and wrong. You have confirmed that you are also mean and vindictive. Your attempt to target me with your rant about recreational trailers has missed by a mile. I have no interest whatsoever in towing a caravan.

The fact remains that Hyundai rate the SF for 2000 kgs towing. An owner would have an expectation to be able to tow 2000 kgs without having problems. In my experience that is the case.

Any home-spun theories that this is not achievable are simply rubbish.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (dunmovin @ Oct 16 2010, 05:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363917
You may not have any problems with overheated oil in your towing as a standard spec SF but the OP does no longer have a standard spec SF as by his own admission he has a Steinbauer upgrade fuel metering chip in his SF bring his HP up from 114Kw to 141Kw an increase of 24% coupled with an increase in torque of about 19% and the power band runs from 1500- top rpm. ( standard power band is from 1800-2500) He also says that his economy has increased. His quote from another thread is below. With this increase in Hp of 24% and his torque curve being 300 Rpm lower, coupled with his increase in economy,( which means to me that the engine combustion is leaner) is all contributing to his heating problem in my mind. So claiming that he should not be having heating problems with his unit as it is a stock unit is absurd. He has modified the Hp and torque curve of his engine and is now living with the problems that he himself has created.

Quote from other thread
Hi
I have the Steinbauer upgrade for the fuel metering on my 2009. The 2009 Kw of 114 is upgraded to 141Kw with an increase in torque of about 19%. The Power band goes from 1800-2500 to 1500-through the rev range. The Power is smooth and the economy has increased. Look at the current 4WD Magazine as they have done a test on alot of "chips". The Steinbauer came out on top. I do not know if they do an upgrade for the 2010 yet!

You must have missed my post earlier in the thread that I agree with your point that the power chip may cause heat problems. However, it is not necessarily so. It depends on how the OP drives his car.

If he drives with the power always at maximum, of course he would have overheating and other overstressing issues. But if he drives with the power more or less in the normal range, then there should be no such issues.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (murraycod @ Oct 20 2010, 06:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364987
You have confirmed that you are also mean and vindictive.
You forgot that I also eat puppies.

Apologies to the OP, who has gone AWOL perhaps because of the direction the thread has taken. Did you ever figure out whether or not you have a tranny cooler? If not, you need to add one. Next on the list is what you probably don't want to hear - reversing the engine mod to see if that helps. As I have said enough times, your Santa Fe is being loaded to its limit and needs every bit of help it can get. Good luck, and remember to post an update.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Oct 21 2010, 07:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365113
You forgot that I also eat puppies.

Apologies to the OP, who has gone AWOL perhaps because of the direction the thread has taken. Did you ever figure out whether or not you have a tranny cooler? If not, you need to add one. Next on the list is what you probably don't want to hear - reversing the engine mod to see if that helps. As I have said enough times, your Santa Fe is being loaded to its limit and needs every bit of help it can get. Good luck, and remember to post an update.
Thanks for clarifying. I was going to mention the recreational baby seals, but there is no need now.

I also hope that the OP lets us know how he has resolved the issue.

G

·
I chose to buy the 2010 manual gearbox Santa Fe with 2500kg braked towing capacity as I felt the earlier version with 2000kg would not be a good match for our 1830kg caravan. Turns out I make a good choice judging by the posts. In the UK it is always suggested that 85% of the vehicle weight is towed as a max, not a given rule but certainly a good referrence so that you never use the vehicle at full towing capacity and therefore max strain. Having some extra payload in the vehicle aids better towing caracteristics. Through my experience all towing capacities are viable but there will be circumstances when the vehicle will be overstressed due to climate or road conditions.

My only problem (if it is one) is that when pulling away on an incline I get a clutch burning smell, am I just asking too much of the clutch? Any idea :liebe011: s?

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (Santa Simon @ Oct 22 2010, 04:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365367
I chose to buy the 2010 manual gearbox Santa Fe with 2500kg braked towing capacity as I felt the earlier version with 2000kg would not be a good match for our 1830kg caravan. Turns out I make a good choice judging by the posts. In the UK it is always suggested that 85% of the vehicle weight is towed as a max, not a given rule but certainly a good referrence so that you never use the vehicle at full towing capacity and therefore max strain. Having some extra payload in the vehicle aids better towing caracteristics. Through my experience all towing capacities are viable but there will be circumstances when the vehicle will be overstressed due to climate or road conditions.

My only problem (if it is one) is that when pulling away on an incline I get a clutch burning smell, am I just asking too much of the clutch? Any idea :liebe011: s?
You say that you discount the load capacity by 15% from the stated capacity. Is there any reference or basis for this?

I looked again at the SF Owner's Handbook. It states that "the loaded trailer weight cannot safely exceed the values in the following chart - 2000 kgs for trailer with brakes." There is no mention of any need to discount this.

Amongst my friends and work associates here we regard the manufactures recommendation as a nominal maximum and the vehicle would have reserve capability to load more, without breaking.

Regarding the clutch smell, it indicates that the clutch is slipping and if repeated often enough it will shorten the clutch life. Perhaps you can modify your starts to short and sharp to minimise the slipping.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts