1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
746 Posts
Same ones I put on my Sonata but from a different ebay vendor and same price. Nothing wrong with them. Just send them a message asking for clarification on what bulb number they come with, I didn't see anything on that page specifying type of bulb. Would be good to know ahead of time what type so you can see who is a good retailer for HID and if they have an HID bulb that fits. Mine was an 861 bulb.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same ones I put on my Sonata but from a different ebay vendor and same price. Nothing wrong with them. Just send them a message asking for clarification on what bulb number they come with, I didn't see anything on that page specifying type of bulb. Would be good to know ahead of time what type so you can see who is a good retailer for HID and if they have an HID bulb that fits. Mine was an 861 bulb.
It's a 881 bulb, here's the link to the sellers website selling the same product
2011-2012 Hyundai Sonata Fog Lights

I was going buy HIDS yesterday for my DRL's but I wanna get fogs first, then do the HID conversion for both DRL's and fogs at the same time.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If I was wanting to avoid the steering column, I would use a relay jumped from a circuit that's hot only when the vehicle is running.

Maybe even a relay controlled by the low beam circuit? Then they would come on when you turn on your lights. Doing this could avoid a switch all together. Just be sure to use an inline fuse whatever you decide.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It's a 881 bulb, here's the link to the sellers website selling the same product
2011-2012 Hyundai Sonata Fog Lights

I was going buy HIDS yesterday for my DRL's but I wanna get fogs first, then do the HID conversion for both DRL's and fogs at the same time.
Probably what my bulb number was, I couldn't remember the exact number, Put mine in year and a half ago. Don't have it anymore to be able to double check.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I was wanting to avoid the steering column, I would use a relay jumped from a circuit that's hot only when the vehicle is running.

Maybe even a relay controlled by the low beam circuit? Then they would come on when you turn on your lights. Doing this could avoid a switch all together. Just be sure to use an inline fuse whatever you decide.
Could you explain further on what you mean by that? I appreciate it! Also I am actually for its own switch, I want to be able to turn them on/off by themselves.

·
Registered
746 Posts

Good point, I forgot to mention. Would need a relay kit for any HID install on a Hyundai, Know issues with some people cooking a BCM ($700).

Mine I tapped into the low beam circuit for a relay signal and ran the power from the Battery to relay to the bulbs. (fused circuit)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Not my pic but a great illustration showing how to connect a relay...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I gotcha, yeah that's for when I do my HID conversion. But for right now I'm gonna get these fogs, and see how I like them. I'm gonna wait a month or so to do the HID conversion.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Oh I gotcha, yeah that's for when I do my HID conversion. But for right now I'm gonna get these fogs, and see how I like them. I'm gonna wait a month or so to do the HID conversion.
Its doesn't have to be for a HID conversion. You can wire the fogs like this w/o HIDs. By tapping into the fuse block to a wire that's only hot when the car is running, it reduces the chances of leaving the fogs on and draining your battery.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its doesn't have to be for a HID conversion. You can wire the fogs like this w/o HIDs. By tapping into the fuse block to a wire that's only hot when the car is running, it reduces the chances of leaving the fogs on and draining your battery.
I hear, I want to have it on it's own switch. This will be my own actual big install on my own of the Fogs, only trouble I see myself having is with the electrical. Doesn't seem to difficult hopefully there's a good instruction manual lol.. Isn't it just your basic + and - wires and a ground.. I want to be on it's own switch, power on and off as I please. Am I gonna have to do something with the fuses and fuse box?

·
Registered
726 Posts
You'll need to get power to control the relay from the fuse block. The diagram I posted shows how to connect it to a switch.

Think of the relay as an electronic switch. Its turned on and off by power it gets from the fuse block through a switch...flip the switch and it "turns on the relay" and closes the circuit from the battery to the lights.

It works better than just wiring from the battery to a switch to the lights, even thou this will work.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gotcha thanks for the info Satan, hope you don't mind if I single you out for help I need be when it comes to the install. Just ordered that fog light kit and a set of 2 H8 Xenon White 68-SML LED Bulbs for the fogs off of ebay as well. Can't beat it 20$ for the LED H8 bulbs and 60$ for the fog light kit. Can't wait to install them!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'll help all I can. I'm no expert but have installed electronic equipment to fake my way through most installs. Once you realize that everything connects the same way you can figure out just about anything.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks man! I can't wait to get the fogs and install them!

·
Registered
81 Posts

Is this what Satan's diagram shows (the part I bolded)?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Is this what Satan's diagram shows (the part I bolded)?
The diagram shows the fogs controlled by a switch.

If you want them to come on and stay on all time just connect to a circuit that's only hot when the car is running. No switch would be needed. You would go straight from the fuse block to the relay.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The diagram shows the fogs controlled by a switch.

If you want them to come on and stay on all time just connect to a circuit that's only hot when the car is running. No switch would be needed. You would go straight from the fuse block to the relay.
Thanks. I'd prefer they go on and off with the headlights.

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Not sure why you would replace your fogs with these. What makes them better than the stock fog lights?
His 2011 GLS was not available with foglights. I believe he wants to add them, but use a stand-alone switch. They are probably the Korean market OEM version that use 881 bulbs instead of the US's H8 bulbs. Nothing wrong with that set up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts