Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has not happened to me yet, - but I wonder: in the vehicles with the proximity fob that you start by pushing a button, what happens if the battery in it dies?

When the battery dies in the fob that just opens the door, at least, you have an option of opening the door with the key, and then you can start the car normally.

What options do you have with the "proximity" fob (short of keeping a spare battery in the car, which in the hot climate might not be a smart idea)?

Also: does the remote give any warnings when the battery charge is low?

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
I assume you mean push button start? If so there is a slot in the dash to insert the fob to start the car with the PB. And a hidden key in the fob to open the door.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I assume you mean push button start? If so there is a slot in the dash to insert the fob to start the car with the PB...
Where is this slot in the dash? There is no mention of that in the owner's manual.

Reading the owner's manual, it says that the Immobilizer Indicator Light (picture of a car with a key inside it) will blink when the battery voltage of the smart key is low. Depending on which dash display you have, you might also get a "Low Key Battery" message in the dash display.
The owner's manual goes on to say this: "- At this time, you can not start the engine. However, you can start the engine if you press the ignition switch or the Engine Start/Stop button with the smart key." Drive to the store and buy a new battery and install it. Then you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
In the sonata, there is a slot inside of the center console where you insert the key. Doing this negates the necessity for the battery in the fob and you can start the car and buy a new battery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you have a regular key the chip is in the key and doesn't need a battery and chip reader is near the ignition switch. So I assume a chip reader is in the center console just in case the battery dies. When I bought the car the salesman told me the slot was a charger for the key. I looked at the fob and could see there was no electrical connection to charge it and the battery is not a rechargeable battery. I heard that others were told the same thing from different dealers. Must have been a screw up in translation.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When if it "dies" you will have to get your spare.. If is is low battery your car might let you know. My manually says to push the start button with the fob and might start. No key here to bypass the whole odeal. Just a hope for low battery warning..

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Need to read your owners manual as different years/models are different. On mine, you push the start button with the fob itself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where is this slot in the dash? There is no mention of that in the owner's manual.

Reading the owner's manual, it says that the Immobilizer Indicator Light (picture of a car with a key inside it) will blink when the battery voltage of the smart key is low. Depending on which dash display you have, you might also get a "Low Key Battery" message in the dash display.
The owner's manual goes on to say this: "- At this time, you can not start the engine. However, you can start the engine if you press the ignition switch or the Engine Start/Stop button with the smart key." Drive to the store and buy a new battery and install it. Then you're good to go.
As a few have said it depends on the model of car. And no, its not mentioned anywhere in owners manual which is super annoying. I actually had this happen to me and I had no idea there was a slot in the center console as it was somewhat full and its rather hidden from view (probably the point). The deal had to walk me through the two places it could be. I always keep a spare battery in my center console just to be safe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Need to read your owners manual as different years/models are different. On mine, you push the start button with the fob itself.
Depends on the year of car. The older models with the push button don't reference what to do in the manual or the fact there is a slot for the fob at all.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Depends on the year of car. The older models with the push button don't reference what to do in the manual or the fact there is a slot for the fob at all.
Neither of mine have a slot for the fob or key. That's the point. Your owners manual will tell you what to do with yours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Neither of mine have a slot for the fob or key. That's the point. Your owners manual will tell you what to do with yours.
And I'm telling you the owners manual for my 2011 only tells you to replace the battery when it dies. It doesn't mention anywhere in the manual there is a slot for you to put the fob in the center console if the battery is dead and you don't have a spare around.

·
Registered
844 Posts
And I'm telling you the owners manual for my 2011 only tells you to replace the battery when it dies. It doesn't mention anywhere in the manual there is a slot for you to put the fob in the center console if the battery is dead and you don't have a spare around.
Batteries are cheap, and they will last longer than a year. Why not just make a note on your calendar to replace the battery yearly, on the anniversary of your purchase? That way you'll never have to deal with the low battery issue.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Page 4-64 from the 2011 Sonata owners manual.........

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts