Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to dig into the car when I get back in town towards the end of this month. I'm seriously considering shaving the door handles on her. I have experience with door poppers and have never had an issue with them on my SRT-4. Keep in mind this is also not a daily driver. I did a quick photoshop of what it would look like, any thoughts?

With handles:

Shaved:

·
22,793 Posts
Oh, my! That does have a clean look. I can only imagine the looks on passersby and onlookers as they search for how you enter it. Talk about smooth, in more way than one?

·
Registered
171 Posts
It does look better with it shaved. By no means does the car look bad with door handles either.

Btw, love the ride height on the car.

·
22,793 Posts
Looks great...however
Do you really want to be welding plugs into your doors, destroying your paint finish etc
Hey, it's only money. He's got dump trucks full of it, now. Pretty soon, the U.S. "Gov'mint" will be asking him for a loan!!! :grin:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hi gamer. Not sure why. But he app is crashing when I opened your pm.

As for this. I can't believe what a difference it makes like this.

But just out of curiosity. How would you open the doors?? Not sure I've very known this was a mod.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Love your car but not a fan of the shaved look. It feels incomplete to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
one sweet looking elantra...

i dont find the handles really take away from the look of the car or its lines.. looks good both ways to me

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Looks great...however
Do you really want to be welding plugs into your doors, destroying your paint finish etc
It's really not that big of a deal, I've already had my local body shop do some work on the car and the paint matches the factory finish 100%.

Hi gamer. Not sure why. But he app is crashing when I opened your pm.

As for this. I can't believe what a difference it makes like this.

But just out of curiosity. How would you open the doors?? Not sure I've very known this was a mod.
I'm still not sure I want to do this, it's clean either way. I'm starting to think it might be the very last thing I do. OR if my door handle cracks like has happened on here, then I'll do it.

The doors open with what's called a door popper. It's essentially like keyless entry but pops the door open slightly so you can grab the side and open it. If the remote stops working then there is an emergency switch placed somewhere on the car to open the door. The only issue is if your battery dies....

·
22,793 Posts
The only issue is if your battery dies....
Somehow I find that scenario disturbing. My first thought was: how do you get under the hood to change the battery, or hook up cables to gain access to the door? Secret, hidden release cable, somewhere? :eek:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Somehow I find that scenario disturbing. My first thought was: how do you get under the hood to change the battery, or hook up cables to gain access to the door? Secret, hidden release cable, somewhere? :eek:
Actually yes, you nailed that on the head Rich!

A cable to open the hood is placed somewhere under the front bumper. :D

·
22,793 Posts
Actually yes, you nailed that on the head Rich!

A cable to open the hood is placed somewhere under the front bumper. :D
Well, in that case, GO FOR IT! Get some of that extra cash you have laying around in trash bags in the garage and get busy. LOL

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you do this install, have remote jumping terminals for the battery installed someplace that you can access.

That way if needed you can at least get into the car should something happen.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone.

It's really not that big of a deal, I've already had my local body shop do some work on the car and the paint matches the factory finish 100%.

I'm still not sure I want to do this, it's clean either way. I'm starting to think it might be the very last thing I do. OR if my door handle cracks like has happened on here, then I'll do it.

The doors open with what's called a door popper. It's essentially like keyless entry but pops the door open slightly so you can grab the side and open it. If the remote stops working then there is an emergency switch placed somewhere on the car to open the door. The only issue is if your battery dies....
It would be worth doing just to see my wife's bewilderment when i tell her to get in the car! "wheres the handle??":confused::confused:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you do this install, have remote jumping terminals for the battery installed someplace that you can access.

That way if needed you can at least get into the car should something happen.
VERY good point that I had overlooked. Thank you! Maybe behind the license plate, just need to engineer a hinge so I could move it like the old school cars from the 70's to fill the gas tank :cool:.

I remember a guy at one of the local car shows had shaved his S10 and actually had his license plate bolts connected to the battery so he could jump the car if needed :eek:. That didn't seem like the smartest idea in the world......

It would be worth doing just to see my wife's bewilderment when i tell her to get in the car! "where's the handle??":confused::confused:
That my friend would be great!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would leave the door handles alone. The car sleek enough with them. Few years down the road you'll be wanting to sell it and i don't believe there's even a small market for cars without door handles. Never heard anyone yet say "If only i could find a car without door handles". More trouble than what it's worth imo.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would leave the door handles alone. The car sleek enough with them. Few years down the road you'll be wanting to sell it and i don't believe there's even a small market for cars without door handles. Never heard anyone yet say "If only i could find a car without door handles". More trouble than what it's worth imo.
I totally agree. I would never buy a car without door handles either. However, if the OP is going to keep the car until it dies, then its a different story.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I totally agree. I would never buy a car without door handles either. However, if the OP is going to keep the car until it dies, then its a different story.
True enough but if he does shave the handles odds are he won't have a "choice" but to keep it till it dies. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535

1 - 20 of 28 Posts