Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A difference touted in the GT vs the regular Elantra are the Sachs dampers. What exactly do they do? Are they suppossed to help the reported squirrley rear end? Mine does not hop too bad but I have noticed it but have never driven a regular Elantra to witness if it is different.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We don't know. People who have replaced the GT dampers say the factory part looks much like the Sedan part. The part doesn't say Sachs, could be made by Sachs for Hyundai, could all Hyundai shocks be made by Sachs and this is just marketing hype about the GT.

We also don't know how the regular vs sports (17" wheels) suspension differs on the GT. Same shock different settings, different shock, same shock different spring?

I personally think the rear on the GT (base 16") is over-damped and the Sedan is user-damped. I don't know why the GT is over-damped - stiff shocks or weak springs, but the ride is bad. The suspension is very miscalculated. I think it is so badly miscalculated, that putting any random reputable damper will make it better.

I'll be putting KYBs on the back as soon as they get back in stock, as I cannot stand the cheap jittery ride. I'm not even talking about performance handling - I just want a decent ride.

Does anyone know the rear spring rates for the GT base model ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
suspension

You want to see how bad they are? Take the car down a dirt road, I took mine down a dirt road (slowly) that I was used to take in my old camry. At one point I thought I was going to be seasick, it was bouncing in so many different directions at the same time.
Now I realize it wasn't made for this but it was the worst of any car i've used on that road.:(

·
Registered
790 Posts
For as glaring as these handling issues are , I gotta ask , did anyone actually drive the car before buying it ?
I drove mine on the dealers typical route, with is normal smooth roads I didnt think twice about my own route with crappy roads.

After I bought the car and went on my crappy I though wow this a bit off but I could live with it.. When I switched to different wheels/tires (just for the look really) I personally though the handling really improved.. I am intersted to see how the KYB shocks improve the ride, though I am satisfied with my handling I almost want to buy them just to see what the hype is all about.

With the amount of complaints I see about the ride I am surprised so many people still bought the car myself haha

·
Registered
105 Posts
For as glaring as these handling issues are , I gotta ask , did anyone actually drive the car before buying it ?
Yes, I test drove it with a 250lb sales person sitting next to me, improving the ride (believe it or not, adding extra weight improves the ride). Dealer is at a location with new roads paved 8 months ago. Tires on all vehicles at the dealer were overinflated, so any harshness I contributed to that.

Didn't expect for a modern car to be so badly misconfigured, so I didn't pay much attention to that. Also, pumped up by articles like this Suspension helps differentiate Coupe and GT from Hyundai , I assumed they've done at least a decent job with the suspension. Performance handling wan't at all on my mind with this car, just assumed it can't be worse than a stock Chevy Cavalier (the worst I've driven).

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's fine on normal smooth roads, but if you toss in something out of the ordinary, like a bump in a tight turn it's somewhat less than perfect.
The rest of the car is so good it makes the cheap suspension stand out more.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I took the car on 2 test drives for about 20 min each. I guess I was swayed by the hype of more upmarket "Sachs" dampers and a sportier suspension and probably should have driven it longer. In any case, I don't think the ride or handling is that bad for this class of car. The roads in the SF Bay Area suck and the other cars we have or have had recently did not ride great anyway (although handling was better). I would like a better ride but am too young for a Buick (not by much!).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Can we, please, specify base or Sports package when sharing suspension experiences. Might be a significant difference. Mine is base (16" wheels).

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mine is the "sports" package myself, was less than average off the lot, and now with my new wheel/tire combo I would say its about average for a car its class, but it $150 in shocks can make it even better than I am game to try..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine is the Style pkg with sport suspension. Wonder how much difference there is in the actual handling of this vs. Base? I have not driven both.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the 17" wheels/tires. I think that most OEM shocks are not that great and my guess is that the Sachs shocks are considered a step up from the base models. That's strictly speculation on my part. Replacing OEM shocks helps in a lot of cases, not just on the GT. Also, the fact that it's a solid rear axle is a lot of the culprit. I have owned several Mustang GT's in the past and they exhibited similar jumpiness. So IMHO upgrading the shocks is going to help but I don't think it's totally fixable because of the solid axle.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The Sachs shocks are just a bit better designed (marginally) mono-tube which means there's separation between the gas and fluid inside, which helps with damping..as opposed to a twin-tube shock, which is better for ride, but doesn't give much to performance since the gas and fluid are together.

Check out this video from KYB. They show/explain it pretty well.

The "sachs" upgrade for the GT isn't really much...just name. Until you go aftermarket, the difference is negligible. Apparently the spring rate for the GT is about 5lbs heavier in the rear than the sedan and coupe though. No idea what the spring rate colours mean though...fwiw, rear is Orange – Green

1 - 17 of 17 Posts