Hyundai Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1397 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well I got ambitious again....

Cleaned the engine bay (it's never been cleaner), changed out to a clean filter, tucked the RGBW and hid relay wires (used thick ac foam from Lowe's to seal)
Adjusted shock dampeners (front is at 14/36, rear is 18/36 still since it's still just one)
Installed 20mm Ultra Racing rear swaybar (I've had this thing forever)

Engine bay was cleaned with hot water mixed with a few drops of dawn in a spray bottle. I used brushes to get into the nooks and crannies...

Still looking for a bit softer ride from the coilovers, ride height is almost where I want it, if anything the rear needs to come up 1/4".

I finally installed that rear swaybar, I got it used from a guy in Canada in October 2018. It had some surface rust on it and I wasn't very happy with what I paid, but it's the discontinued 20mm version. I had to wire brush it, sand it down, hit with rust transformer, and paint it with a few coats of black.

Honestly with the new jack, jackpad and power tools it wasn't hard at all. 2-19mm nuts hold the ends on (17mm wrenches to hold the inner part), and 4-14mm bolts hold the brackets on. After they're all loose the bar just drops out from the side. Put one side of the bracket in a vise and used a hammer to free the rubber mount from the bracket. The new polyurethane mounts slipped into the brackets without and issue and it all bolted up perfectly. Bracket bolts torque to 40ft lbs, sway bar links torque to 86ft lbs. Didn't notice a difference this morning but the car still needs an alignment.

As for that poor adjustable shock it met it's demise in the machine shop. They drilled into it so it was safe to heat and even after applying 200ft lbs of torque that stubborn metal sleeve didn't budge. The shock is a sight to be seen, it's just completely destroyed. A Facebook friend had the same thing happen to them and they have one extra good one I can buy, so I'm back in business.

To top it off I had the dampening adjustment tool in my pocket with my phone. I rolled over to get to one of the bolts on the rear sway bar and heard a crunch. Cracked and destroyed the glass that covers the camera. Camera still works, glass is a 3 dollar part from china. Lesson learned....

Pics of how the car sits now, and a few other pics..... enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
So I got the "gloss black Peal Coat" off brand Plasidip, cleaned surface with wax and grease remover, professional stuff that I use all the time, sprayed about 7 coats Looks good far away but definitely not glossy, and its coming apart all over very strange.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well I raised the back end a bit and it sits right at 26" now, the front is still a tad high but I haven't had time to adjust it.

Father's day weekend was a bust.....

(Backstory)

On Saturday I drove my pregnant fiancee to the med center but was turned away and sent to the ER. At the ER they didn't care about the issue I brought her there for (side pain) but they saw her blood pressure was high and wouldn't let her leave. The ER doctor was concerned and had us transferred to the hospital. At the hospital they admitted her due to high blood pressure and she ended up staying that night (I picked up my youngest daughter around 11 so she could sleep at home). In the morning I dropped my youngest off with her grandma and went to the hospital. At the hospital everything was back to normal, bp looked good and they were taking about discharging her. I waited around for a few hours then left to go home and raise the back end of the car. I returned to the hospital around 9.

When I got there she was in regular clothes and ready to go home. They took out her iv, gave her the discharge papers and then we sat and waited. Then (exactly like they did 4 years ago) they took her blood pressure one last time (this ******* protocol irritates me, why would you take vitals again after discharging a patient?). Of course it was high (probably because she was excited to go home) and they readmitted her, put in a new iv and took away the discharge papers (this was at 11:30pm). I picked up my daughter around midnight, and went to bed but didn't get to sleep till 1:30ish. I woke up at 5:15am to go to work, dropped daughter off at grandmas and struggled to stay awake on my drive to work. I ended up leaving work early to pick up my fiancee from the hospital then went home and slept.

I have tonight and tomorrow to get things sorted out because Thursday I am having my wisdom tooth removed which will probably wipe me out for Friday as well.

Anyway leaving the hospital I was obviously in a bad mood..... dash cam caught me spinning my tires in the parking garage. I probably would have sped home, but the I-40 is under construction with cops cars randomly spaced within the construction zones where nobody is working.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sorry to hear about the rough weekend. Never fun dealing with some hospitals protocol. I think most of the time it is just a way to bill insurance for more. The video won't play in embedded player. It says "Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner"

·
Registered
842 Posts
Have you dynoed that thing yet, be nice to know, with all the mods you did?

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
Not yet, I'm waiting to go to either stage 2.5 or 3.5 (yes that's the wg mod with meth) before I dyno.

Stage 1.5 dynoed at 289whp with intake, exhaust (don't know the full details), and fmic. I assume I'm some what over that having a full 3" turbo back exhaust, a 65mm throttle body and no coolant recirc. How much further? I really don't know. It's really quick for what it is and I would assume it's closer to 300whp.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well i finally got that replacement adjustable ksport shock on Monday but I had about 20 minutes at home until a huge storm came, so I didn't get it installed. Yesterday I came home and got started on it right away. Removed both sides, measured the stock one and adjusted them about 1/2 inch shorter than stock (about 22.5" from top mount to bolt center). Set dampening both in the middle (18/36) and installed them.

Also tried to install my remote adjusters but the nut on the top is too big. I"ll probably look around at different hardware stores or come up with a creative solution. I still don't know exactly where the top of the strut comes out in the car, I'm thinking it's next to the back seat. I was hoping it would be accessible from the trunk, but there's very limited space behind the trunk liner.

Either way this morning on my way to work I noticed I could take corners a bit faster, car felt more planted than before. I wouldn't think just one shock would make such a difference but it did.

I'll be helping a friend replace a clutch tonight so probably no more progress this week, but we'll see.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Replaced the windshield, rear camera and interior door handle. I think the right upper strut mount has already given out (Moog) and I checked my O2 visually. Torn wire right at the metal sleeve. Not so sure how I am going to remove that because of how much slack is in the exhaust (fore and aft). So much slack that I cant really get proper sudden torque on the O2 sensor.

Next is to look into replacing those dippy guards on the steering wheel controls. I wish they just easily popped out of the front versus pulling the whole wheel off.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
On my '12 sonata I had pulled them without taking off the whole wheel......take off the wheel and save a LOT of headache lol.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
On my '12 sonata I had pulled them without taking off the whole wheel......take off the wheel and save a LOT of headache lol.
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. I am going to tackle this weekend. I think I am just going to buff the trim pieces and put back in. Thinking quad ought steel wool should to the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally decided to give debadging a shot and see how it looks and I have to say I'm pleased. I used fishing line to slide between the body and the emblems and they all came right off. some adhesive was left behind that pretty much just rubs off (had to use goo gone on a couple areas).

For those that are looking to do this; I was left with a kind of "outline" of the old emblem that I couldn't get off with any cleaning agent that's safe for paint so I used a clay bar and the spray bottle that came with it and it came right off! No residue left behind or any weird outlines anymore and can be picked up from your local auto parts store or a Walmart or something. I believe the brand I bought was Mothers.

I think I'm going to leave the H logo and the 2.0T or possibly replace the H logo with a YF badge or similar. Might use the Limited emblem and/or the Sonata letters as accent pieces somewhere else, but will have to re-order I assume since the adhesive is now off of them.

Here are some pics
IMG_0951.jpeg xmvmWo3xTwm3dq4o45qmaw.jpg 9FCXjHg3TsutjeuAeBzPVw.jpg IMG_0953.jpeg

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Pulled the steering wheel today. Removed the trim pieces and used steel wool to remove all the rubberized paint. Look stock now and I don't have to pay for pieces. People are right, it would be almost impossible to remove those guards without pulling the wheel. The center nut is 7/8. I have a impact wrench I use for suspension stuff so that made breaking the bolt a piece of cake.

Got very very lucky as apparently I didn't seat one of the airbag connectors properly and threw a light. Popped the bag again and reseated and was very fortunate that the idiot light didn't remain and have to pay someone to reset it.

Tomorrow I am going to attempt to tackle the O2 sensor. Bought some extra tools (offset O2 wrench) and a 3/8 breaker bar and 3# mallet, pb blaster and canned air. Hopefully I wont spend all day under it!

Almost got all the nagging items wrapped up!

·
Registered
842 Posts
A little over 148K miles now, got back from dinner and decided to do my ivc service with CRC IVC. Will be going on a short drive tomorrow to warm up the car and then follow up with an oil change.

1341 - 1360 of 1397 Posts
About this Discussion
1.4K Replies
162 Participants
jdubs
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing