Hyundai Forums banner

1101 - 1120 of 1163 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,101 (Edited)
1)Transmission Service:Did a second drain and fill at 39,985 miles.
2)4th Oil & Filter Service:Changed oil and filter at 39,985 miles.

Quick detail of engine compartment,coated all rubber and coolant hoses,all exterior black plastic including all rubber door and trunk trim.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,528 Posts
Changed spark plugs for the 2nd time.
95600 miles, first set done at 45000.

Replaced with OEM NGK purchased off Korean seller on Ebay for $56

easy 20 minute job and saves you over $200 from the dealer cost. My dealer wanted $275 forplugs and labor.

First set changed at 45,000 did not look worn at all but these were all worn electrodes and wide gap due to wear.

car was running OK with old plugs but after replacing this set it is so smooth idle can't feel it running and seems more responsive dive than before.
I am thinking that the extra wear on this set of plugs may have been because I've run 4 cans of CRC GDI I take cleaner and they have had a lot more carbon blown through the intake than the first set.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Recently got a hole in my exhaust but I quickly got it fixed. Only a small amount of piping was rotted out from the years of heavily salted roads every winter. Shouldn’t have any issues going forward

·
Registered
91 Posts
Recently got a hole in my exhaust but I quickly got it fixed. Only a small amount of piping was rotted out from the years of heavily salted roads every winter. Shouldn’t have any issues going forward
perfect time to get some mufflers if that is your thing!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
perfect time to get some mufflers if that is your thing!!
I used to have a pair of magnaflows and a resonator delete but I ended up going back to stock last year. I have a sound clip if you’re interested

Reactions: Cammerv8

·
Registered
505 Posts
I like the sound as well, what made you go back to stock? Was it droning while cruising?
A lot of drone above 55 mph was part of the reason why I went back to stock. Sometimes I go visit the in-laws in Delaware which is a 3.5 hour drive for me. To listen to that for 3 hours+ drives you mad. I had my fun with it though!

·
Registered
394 Posts
A lot of drone above 55 mph was part of the reason why I went back to stock. Sometimes I go visit the in-laws in Delaware which is a 3.5 hour drive for me. To listen to that for 3 hours+ drives you mad. I had my fun with it though!
Understandable! My 2.0T stock exhaust already has a bit of drone when going up long hills so I couldn’t handle any more on long trips either

·
Registered
288 Posts
I put my summer tires back on.

This winter was disappointing. No snow in my area ?

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,528 Posts
Did my second Transmission Service, current mileage 97201. This time was a drain and fill using Valvoline MaxLife.
No visible residue on the drain plug, a small amount of gray when wiping the plug off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
First oil and filter change on the '18 2.0t that I bought in December. Glad to see they made a smaller panel to take off vs the '15 model I had. It's still a PIA even on ramps not to mention I'm 75 years old. Had the dealer do they last two changes on the '15 just because it's a little rough on the old boy. Decided to bite the bullet and try it again and I'll give it back to the dealer in the future.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,528 Posts
Changed the belts (serpentine and stretch) they had 97,000 plus on them and were still in good shape, no noticeable cracks.

The 2 local dealers were crazy in what they wanted to do the job for my dealer that I purchased the car from quoted $430 and the other closest dealer was $ 360.

I used Hyundai OEM belts purchased online from Hyundaioemparts.com (De lRey Hyundai in Florida) saved about 20% off local dealers prices belts listed at about $65 each, on line they were about $45 each. If you want to go aftermarket with gates or Goodyear you can cut that parts price in half at about $20-25 each from Rock Auto.

The whole job is very easy, 4 tools required, 17 mm wrench to move the tensioner to remove the serpentine belt, jack and socket to remove rt front wheel to gain access to crank pulley to turn engine using a 7/8 or 22 mm socket.

Serpentine belt comes right off as soon as you release tension, stretch belt can be bumped off the water pump pulley or just cut it off. There are a$10 tool to stretch the belt back on as you turn over the engine and I bought one . it would have worked easily if I had someone available to turn the engine as I held it in place but doing it alone it kept popping out since I could not hold it and turn the engine. So I used the zip tie method as described by Guitarfish in his thread ( Who has changed their stretch belt? ) and it worked well then pull back tensioner and install new serpentine belt.

For about an hour work and a $300 savings it is a job worth doing if you have basic DIY skills.

·
Registered
193 Posts
1)Transmission Service:Did a second drain and fill at 39,985 miles.
2)4th Oil & Filter Service:Changed oil and filter at 39,985 miles.

Quick detail of engine compartment,coated all rubber and coolant hoses,all exterior black plastic including all rubber door and trunk trim. View attachment 444786
where did you get your strut tower brace and what brand is it?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,118
where did you get your strut tower brace and what brand is it?
[/QUOTE

I bought it in the link below.Looks like price went up a lot as I paid $160 three years ago.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Last night I upgraded the headlights to 35W HIDs.
Much better than LEDs I have to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2424Goldie
1101 - 1120 of 1163 Posts