Hyundai Forums banner

881 - 887 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Safeco is really dragging their heels on this. Accident was 11/12 and still will not admit liability, still "talking to other driver". Which is so stupid. The only possible way the damage could occur is just as I described; other driver made a lane change to the right and shunted my EGT with his right front tire. Rubber all the way from the front of the left rear door to the back of the car, only marks on his truck are on the tire. If I had turned into him I would have more damage and he would have body damage.

Safeco has been informed they will be speaking to my lawyer shortly.

Oh, and then there is this. Other driver was charged with Failure to Identify, Failure to Stop and Render Aid, and Fleeing the Scene of an Accident. The first two were citations, the third a Class B Misdemeanor, which got him arrested and the truck impounded. Had I been injured it would have become a felony.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Safeco is really dragging their heels on this. Accident was 11/12 and still will not admit liability, still "talking to other driver". Which is so stupid. The only possible way the damage could occur is just as I described; other driver made a lane change to the right and shunted my EGT with his right front tire. Rubber all the way from the front of the left rear door to the back of the car, only marks on his truck are on the tire. If I had turned into him I would have more damage and he would have body damage.

Safeco has been informed they will be speaking to my lawyer shortly.

Oh, and then there is this. Other driver was charged with Failure to Identify, Failure to Stop and Render Aid, and Fleeing the Scene of an Accident. The first two were citations, the third a Class B Misdemeanor, which got him arrested and the truck impounded. Had I been injured it would have become a felony.
Yeah that sucks. Clearly he was in the wrong and found guilty (Cited/Charged) of several items. All they are doing is wasting their time and maybe even money in the long run. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Well, after a month Safeco gave up on finding the other driver and accepted full liability. He apparently disappeared after he got out of jail. No big surprise there.

When the inner door panel was removed the repair shop found that the inner crash beam was bent, so a replacement door was required. Safeco insisted a used door be installed (which they can demand in Texas) and found one somewhere and had it shipped in. I had already told the body shop "it better be perfect" and that I will call foul if there is any body filler required, and that I wanted the door painted inside and out, just like new. They agreed and I will say they did an excellent job throughout. I know where the paint and repair was done and it is very difficult to find any evidence of the work. As I told the shop when I dropped it off, "I want it to look like it never happened."

Final tally was $4187 for the repair, $897 for the rent car. Accident happened 11/12/18, got Casper back on 1/04/19.

BTW, Enterprise did me a solid. There were no "equivalent" rentals available, so they put me in a '18 Nissan Maxima Premier (?) fully loaded. Ran great, but has blind spots you could hide a small car in both to the front and rear. But had every "driver assist" you can imagine. I learned quickly to adjust the range on the smart cruise. Default is maximum range which meant that a vehicle pulling in front of you a good 200' ahead caused a full-on ABS limited brake application. First time it did it I thought the engine had seized!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Well, after a month Safeco gave up on finding the other driver and accepted full liability. He apparently disappeared after he got out of jail. No big surprise there.

When the inner door panel was removed the repair shop found that the inner crash beam was bent, so a replacement door was required. Safeco insisted a used door be installed (which they can demand in Texas) and found one somewhere and had it shipped in. I had already told the body shop "it better be perfect" and that I will call foul if there is any body filler required, and that I wanted the door painted inside and out, just like new. They agreed and I will say they did an excellent job throughout. I know where the paint and repair was done and it is very difficult to find any evidence of the work. As I told the shop when I dropped it off, "I want it to look like it never happened."

Final tally was $4187 for the repair, $897 for the rent car. Accident happened 11/12/18, got Casper back on 1/04/19.

BTW, Enterprise did me a solid. There were no "equivalent" rentals available, so they put me in a '18 Nissan Maxima Premier (?) fully loaded. Ran great, but has blind spots you could hide a small car in both to the front and rear. But had every "driver assist" you can imagine. I learned quickly to adjust the range on the smart cruise. Default is maximum range which meant that a vehicle pulling in front of you a good 200' ahead caused a full-on ABS limited brake application. First time it did it I thought the engine had seized!
I feel like if it was another $3k-4k it would have been considered a total loss. I wouldn't think insurance companies would be willing to put more than $7,500 into my car but I might be wrong. Itll be my turn to deal with Hyundai and their anti perforation warranty in a few months.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
To close the story, Casper had to have the drivers side rear door replaced (internal crash brace was bent). But the Round Rock Collision Center did a fantastic job and did what I told them I wanted. To make it like it never happened. Excellent paint, fit, and finish. The battery was disconnected for so long that it had to go through the learning process again.

She's back, and I'm glad!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #886
replaced the original OEM battery in my 2013 today. 7 years and 4 days after I brought Sally home. Not a bad run at all for a car battery. It still started the car.. but was weak if running the radio for a while with the engine off. Needed a boost today... that was the sign that it won't make it through the winter.
Easy job... took 20 minutes only. 10mm and 12 mm sockets with extensions.
Bought a Costco Kirkland battery... low cost with a long 4 year replacement warranty and 100 months prorated. Hard to beat that for $109 + tax

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #887
bought a Yonaka axle back exhaust for my '13 GT.
Black Friday sale price was the tipping point for something that's been on my wish list for some time.

881 - 887 of 887 Posts