Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I do apologize if i post in wrong area but i did use the search function but no luck.

So we bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra and it is a rebuilt car, it was hit in the front so the only thing that was changed was the front radiator, hood and front bumper. The car runs fantastic but there are only two complaints :grin2:

1. We don't have a horn, and it physically isn't there, I am assuming the place we bought it from didn't bother to put one on.

2. The ambient temperature display only shows two dashes ( -- ) so I am assuming that wasn't hooked up as well or missing altogether.

I did notice a connector not plugged into anything and I can seem to see where it should go so can you guys please let me know what it is and where it should go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You have a missing part on your car. I happened to check under my hood and I saw something there that you dont have. I would say outside temperature sensor since yours says "--".
I have a 2012 canadian GLS. See pic below.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
86 Posts
That circled item is a bonnet/hood switch for the alarm! They have replaced the radiator support and not the switch. It is normally mounted on a bracket with two 6mm bolts under the top left side of the body/radiator support>
RADIATOR SUPPORT for 2014 Hyundai Elantra

Missing part is No 20 here>
ANTI-THEFT COMPONENTS for 2014 Hyundai Elantra

The ambient temperature sensor is behind the front plastic bumper in the of the body/radiator support. Part No. 9 here>
RADIATOR SUPPORT for 2014 Hyundai Elantra

I am guessing that the temperature sensor was not replaced or else not connected after the repair.
hope that helps.

Duke

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This helps tremendously, no my question is since I have no issues with my alarm working. Should I bother with replacing this or just let it stay as is.

Now my next issue is the horn, I know it isn't there but I wonder if I even have the wire harness to actually plug it up same for the Ambient temp sensors, could you maybe show me the links to that?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes the alarm will work if the hood switch is missing but not totally protected!
You would only need to replace the bonnet / hood switch if you think thieves may enter there. If they get into your engine bay, then they have access to the battery to nullify the car security systems. It's up to you, for me I want all the protection the car can offer. The switch and bracket are cheap a new car aint.

Diagram of horns parts down the bottom part No. 2 and 3.
HORN for 2014 Hyundai Elantra

Horn location?
Hyundai Elantra: Components and Components Location - Horn - Body Electrical System - Hyundai Elantra MD 2010-2016 Service manual

The wiring should be still there as it is part of the front harness - unless damaged.

Is the gixxer your Zook?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you again, but reason I ask for the horn and Temp Wires is because I do not see any connectors hanging off like I do for the hood switch.

And yes the gixxer if differently my zook :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Most likely situation is that the crash repairer cut away the smashed horn and temp sensor when fixing the car and never replaced them, cheaper! Maybe wiring was broken away with the items in the dingle?

Either way you could replace the horn and the sensor. If the wiring is not present then you would have to find out the wiring color codes where the items were removed. Then some simple splicing and insulating. A bit of the loom with connectors could be got from an auto wrecker with the sensor and horn still attached?

Nice Zook

My toy - Trumpet Sprint GT.
Duke

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately around here the wrecker yards don't have may 2013 but im keeping an eye out.

And as soon as my second child is born and we settle down with the budget i am going to see about a Triumph!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey can someone take a picture of their harness that goes from the horn and Ambient temp sensor, I have not had any luck asking any one around me with the same car to look at it :) I feel like if I can see where its supposed to go and plug up I can make me a harness.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Just like YF Sonata, the UD/MD Elantra use a pigtail that plug into main harness (EE11) near the left headlamp and run down in front to fire both horns and ambient temp sensor.. If I recall, just that short section of pigtail is kinda pricey...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts