Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I am looking at purchasing an Elantra within the next few weeks. I am having a really hard time picking a colour. I am deciding between sparkling ruby and indigo midnight " I think that's what it's called here"

I realize that this is not something that someone should decide for me, however, I feel that I would be happy with either and I need something to push me over the edge. lol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
that's a hard choice since both look great. I really love the indigo color, esp after a wax. Color ends up looking so dark and sparkly and a mile deep.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a hard choice since both look great. I really love the indigo color, esp after a wax. Color ends up looking so dark and sparkly and a mile deep.
That's definitely what I'm wanting! The only thing holding me back is that I know it looks purple under certain light. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing, but red looks just class all around. Then again, blue is my favourite colour. Sigh, so tough to choose lol

·
Registered
952 Posts
That's definitely what I'm wanting! The only thing holding me back is that I know it looks purple under certain light. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing, but red looks just class all around. Then again, blue is my favourite colour. Sigh, so tough to choose lol
I chose the indigo blue, as blue is my favorite color. I did not notice the purple in it until someone said something to me about, then I noticed it. But yes only under certain light conditions can you see it. Now I dont notice it any more.

And yes the color looks amazing after a good wax.

·
Registered
111 Posts
White...with black tinted windows, but make the dealer pay for that tint ;)

Keep in mind, the dark colours are the most difficult to keep looking clean!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey everyone!

I am looking at purchasing an Elantra within the next few weeks. I am having a really hard time picking a colour. I am deciding between sparkling ruby and indigo midnight " I think that's what it's called here"

I realize that this is not something that someone should decide for me, however, I feel that I would be happy with either and I need something to push me over the edge. lol
Those are both beautiful colors. Both are deep, rich and very appealing. However, the maintenance of darker colors is demanding. While they are most rewarding when new, as they age and have endured many washings, darker colors tend to show flaws in their finish, such as "swirl" marks. So, that showroom luster gets lost and requires some buffing out by experienced or knowledgeable hands/equipment to remedy that.

I had a black minivan once and took great pride in her appearance. But I had to work hard at it and I was very fastidious towards that endeavor. If you're not one to do much labor to seek that perceived "factory" shine, the red may be preferable.

Darker colors will also show dirt accumulation more readily than lighter colors in between washings/waxings. Lighter colors tend to be more forgiving. Yet, brighter/lighter colors aren't nearly as rewarding to the eye after a good wash and wax.

I never had satisfaction in the cleanliness of that black minivan when doing a coin operated car wash. So, I chose to do it all with meticulous effort in my driveway. Since then, I've purchased white, gold and gray vehicles - all of which allowed me to escape the compulsion of polishing them out each and every time I washed those vehicles.

In other words...I've gotten lazy. :D

·
6,836 Posts
Yeah, what ecdusit said. :thumbsup:

I LOVED my Indigo Night Elantra's looks, and the color received many compliments because people couldn't tell if it was blue or purple (it's both! :D)

However, I chose a pearl-white Leaf because I was sick of obsessing over swirls, blemishes, you name it. Lighter colors just hide them better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
acebmxer- I've seen pictures of it at night and it looks pretty awesome!

Steelious- I agree.. but it should be a little better than a black car right?

ecdusit- The car I'm currently driving, I haven't washed more than three times in three YEARS!! :O So I know all about being lazy. I just say to myself "the rain will wash it" however, since I will be buying a new car soon, I will be washing it much more frequently. I want to care for it and wax it every few months. In other words If I can get away with washing it once every two weeks then a dark colour shouldn't be much of a problem.

·
22,788 Posts
Severely predjudiced, here, towards towards the Shimmering White Metallic. I wonder why? :grin:

I agonized between the Radiant Silver vs. Ruby Red (Red Allure it was called at the time) when looking to buy a 2011. Finally chose silver because the taillights were more defined. On the red, they just sort of blended into the paint. But that is one great color (red). Then traded for a 2013 white. I just didn't paprticularly care for the camel color interior at the time and finding a red one with black leather was a harder task than planning & robbing Fort Knox.

The white hides dirt & dust much better. Is also cooler in the summer months. Snow even looks good on it! LOL

The Indigo Blue is deceiving. Is it blue? Purple? Both? If you want rarity, it's the most difficult to find. The indigo is manufactured in Korea. The red also in Korea. The white and silver in Montgomery, Alabama. That keeps Americans employed. And I like that.

Good luck in your quest! Be sure to take a pic of you car and post it on here. In the end, whatever decision YOU make based on your particular criteria will be the correct one. I'm just glad I don't have that brain banging to do all over again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ecdusit- The car I'm currently driving, I haven't washed more than three times in three YEARS!! :O So I know all about being lazy. I just say to myself "the rain will wash it" however, since I will be buying a new car soon, I will be washing it much more frequently. I want to care for it and wax it every few months. In other words If I can get away with washing it once every two weeks then a dark colour shouldn't be much of a problem.
So actually NOT washing a dark colored car will result in a car with fewer swirl marks and therefore a greater appeal and higher asking price upon resale. Well...of course, after you've finally washed it.

I can ALMOST agree with that logic! B-u-t...I just gotta wash my car. Dangit! :blink:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I initially was smitten by the Red Allure with black leather but when it became literally impossible to find, I was left to choose with what the dealer had on hand and as I bought Emma at the height of the Elantra hysteria, there were only three Limited models with tech on the lot at the time. One was silver with the gray interior and though I like silver, that would have made three silver cars in the family as my mom still had her RX300 at the time. The second one was black on black and though I have the tools and skills to keep a black car swirl-free, I no longer have the time and energy plus every tiny scratch, rock chip and dust molecule shows up. Black was out. That left the only other one on the lot; Titanium Gray with gray leather.

And the rest, as they say, is history. ^_^ Now almost two years later I don't regret my choice one bit. The Titanium Gray has tons of flake that shimmers like water when clean under the sun and hides dirt extraordinary well in the winter, even after a month or two without a wash.

·
Registered
667 Posts
This is one of those choices you have to make based on what YOU like. Which one "pop" more to you? I went for the Shimmering White since it is a pearl white and looks fantastic, especially in the sun after a wax. :D

·
22,788 Posts
Shimmering White Metallic rules the planet!!! ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Shimmering White Metallic rules the planet!!! ;)
Insofar as the color white goes. I once had just a white Ranger pickup. After that I got a white Volvo. I also drove several white company service vans as a field service technician. Then I upgraded my own vehicle to a PEARL white Azera, which now sounds sublime when compared to your SHIMMERING white metallic Elantra.

By the sound of it, that's gotta be the grandest white possible! I mean, what other adjective is there that could top that!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Definitely go for a red one! It looks stunning with black tinted windows. When I saw one in the show room I fell in love immediately :blush:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me the red definitely "POPS" more.. but after seeing some issues of paint chipping around the doors on the Red colour cars, that's making me a bit :/.. Haha Rich I test drove a white one last week and it was certainly a beauty. It's almost like any colour on this car is a winner!

·
22,788 Posts
I love the red, mine is called Venetian Red, when it's polished or waxed. You can look at mine.
What's it called when it's NOT polished or waxed? LOL

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Bri26;1437345 I am deciding between sparkling ruby and indigo midnight "......[/QUOTE said:
I got the red. My wife, who is an artist, loves the name, (Venetian Red). Saw the Indigo Midnight close up. Loved the metal flake that was bigger than in my red. Saw a dark blue with great metal flake in a VW Passat. More metal flake needs to be in all the Hyundai colors.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts