Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2017 Sonata Hybrid SE. I live in Austin and when I switched to Normal mode (because of hills) my mileage went up in town. 47.7 on a 11 mile trip and 43.2 on a 30 mile trip. I'm impressed!

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have found that our 2011 Sonata Hybrid loves hilly country. The best mileage, around 50, was a drive in the Catskill Mountains. It usually is around 38-40 summer, 33-35 winter. Cold has a big impact. New tires cause a temporary reduction as well.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I just got a 2017 Sonata Hybrid SE. I live in Austin and when I switched to Normal mode (because of hills) my mileage went up in town. 47.7 on a 11 mile trip and 43.2 on a 30 mile trip. I'm impressed!
I understand this is a hybrid thread...just saying, I got 47.7 mpg on a recent 35 mile trip. The car had about 2 gal. left, it was about 45 deg. with 2 people going 62 mph. The car has 142K on it!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
2016 HSH with the 2.0 engine. Usually around 44 - 48 mpg Jersey driving. I'm towards PA side with hills. It likes long drives of 30 miles for the best mileage. Colder weather (teens) it'll drop to 35mpg. Now around 40 degrees it's back up to 40 mpg.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a 2016 SE and in So Cal weather and traffic conditions, I'm getting 59.5 currently. I usually get at least 750 miles from a tank. My best so far has been 62 MPG (over 800 miles in a tank) driving local and medium distance freeway trips. In general I get about 55 MPG in various conditions and seasons. However, I do hyper-mile a lot (especially to get the 62 MPG).

I'm very impressed with the economy I can get in this machine which is very nice in many other areas as well.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (White)
59 Posts
I've had my 2017 for a little over a year now, just over 27,000 miles. I have a 130 mile commute to work and back over the same route (day, after day, after day....). The worst mileage I received was right after I purchased the car - about 38 mpg per tank - but we were encountering REALLY low temperatures (for us) in the negative numbers. Last summer, I averaged mid to upper 40s consistently. So far this winter it's been a pretty steady 40 mpg.

I'm also very impressed with the mileage this car is getting, especially considering how large the vehicle is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok so im new to the "Hybrid" driving, learning slowly but surely.... im getting 40-41mpg combined... and you guys are well over 50! What am i doing wrong? 2013 limited 70k miles...
Granted, i drive above 65mph on the hwy (70mph posted) and i dont jack rabbit off the line, creeping up to speed a lil slower than traffic does.

To be honest though my first few days i couldnt brake the 37mpg...so i guess im improving...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok so im new to the "Hybrid" driving, learning slowly but surely.... im getting 40-41mpg combined... and you guys are well over 50! What am i doing wrong? 2013 limited 70k miles...
Granted, i drive above 65mph on the hwy (70mph posted) and i dont jack rabbit off the line, creeping up to speed a lil slower than traffic does.

To be honest though my first few days i couldnt brake the 37mpg...so i guess im improving...lol

Start from 2016, HSH use the second generation of hybrid system, which boost the MPG from 35/38 to 42/45.
For a 2013 HSH, 37 MPG can be achieved in hot summer.Very strange!

·
Registered
475 Posts

I think you're doing pretty good with your version and year. As you said, it is going up so you are learning. Basically, keeping the vehicle in electric mode as much as possible and regenerating electricity as much as possible (not having the ICE kick on by driving style) will do it. Your driving style has the most to do with it. Try to not to come to a complete stop by timing the lights, traffic, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2015 HSH, now at about 35K miles has always gotten around 34 MPG on my commuting with substantial city driving during two rush hours. On a trip to Philadelphia from DC it got close to 42 MPG on mostly interstate travel.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Using pump math 44.5mpg, but the car thinks different.
My experience is that the displayed fuel economy is pretty close to correct (at least on my YF Hybrid) -- at least after you adjust for the amount the odometer under reports the miles traveled. Of course, figuring a single fill up from the gas you add at the pump can have even more variance, as you rarely get exactly the same amount in the tank as you had when you last filled up. Of time, it tends to average out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts