Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but has anyone started a "What Car Did You Trade In For Your Santa Fe?" thread yet?

If not, I'll start with mine:

I had a 2009 Chevy Malibu LT. It was super comfortable with large bucket seats and comfy suspension however, it was totally unreliable. Somehow a fuel injector got knocked loose, supposedly by a rodent, as the dealer told me and charged me 200 bucks for it and the transmission would hesitate for up to several seconds between shifts, randomly, especially when the car was warm. Knobs started to fall off, literally, and they told me that I'm being too harsh with it...never had knobs just fall off on me with a newer car before, only in my first car which was an '83 Buick Skylark where I had to pour gasoline directly into the carbs to start...ahhhh the sweet high school memories...

Needless to say, I'm much happier with the SF over the Malibu.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
2005 BMW X5. I had 3 of the E53 X5's over the last 10 years. I am self employee, travel a great deal, and it was close to perfect. Except, of course, the cost of ownership. Out of warranty repairs is very high and gas mileage is just "ok" at 21/22 mph on premium on the Interstate.

It was time for a new (or CPO'ed) car and candidly I just wasn't willing to pay the $40+K for a other BMW or Audi. And I guess that was because I fell in love with the price point of a heavily discounted Sorento EX I looked at last summer. But for a number of reasons, I just could not pull the trigger.

So the short list became a Sorento, Santa Fe, Acura RDX, or used Audi Q5. In the end, I found this forum and the Think Tank discounts and it was an easy decision. I went for a 2.0T AWD with everything. After 4 days of ownership it is exactly what I was expecting. My first business trip is next week and that will be the real test.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The wifey totaled her 2006 Mercury Milan on Veteran's Day last year. Bambi's hubby ran out in front of her on a dark country road out on the North Fork of Long Island. Thankfully she was unhurt and Mr. Buck ran off with unknown injuries. USAA finally came through with a fair offer on the vehicle (we had to compete with 1000's of Sandy damaged vehicles) and we put that cash down on our new SFS. :D

Our plan was to keep the Milan one more year and then shop around for a CUV. We are very satisfied with the SFS! The 2.0T is smooth and powerful and the AWD was worth every penny! :wink2:

·
Registered
273 Posts
1999 Dodge Dakota with 125000 miles. Great midsize truck never needed to do anything with it except wear and tear items and ball joints. Loved the truck but the 3.9 V6 was a dog and got around 14 mpg. Also really never used it for a truck anymore since I bought a 6 X 12 untility trailer and pull behind our Chrysler Town & Country. Used to be a Honda person then went to Dodge. Was happy with Dodge until we bought our T&C back in 2008, build quality is just not there with a list of minor issues but the biggest is the brakes. 62000 and 6 pairs of different brake pads and 2 sets of rotors. I really wanted a Dodge Charger with the HEMI since I figured they will not make V8s much longer but the more practicle family man took over and started looking at more sencible options and got the SFS, pretty happy with it so far.

·
Registered
870 Posts
2008 Acura TSX. 46K miles. Car was perfect during the entire time, never had a single issue with it. Got the SFS because the TSX just became too small for the family. I wish I had the extra cash to keep it as my drive to work and use the SFS just for the times I wasn't alone. Some lucky person out there is getting a great second hand car.

·
Banned
730 Posts
2008 Buick Enclave CXL with 90,000 miles on it. Bought it certified. 2 months after purchasing they had to basically drop the motor to fix a big oil leak on the engine. Covered under warranty. Few months later the water pump went. Covered under warranty. December 2012... Would not start one night for my wife. Engine would roll over but not fire. Dealership had it a week. Says they fixed it but a couple of times it felt like it was going to do the same thing again. Warranty expired December 22nd. Time to say "Goodbye" Buick. It was also too big for our shrinking family and passenger seat was extremely uncomfortable.

Very, very happy with the Santa Fe. Despite all the grumbling on this message board about issues (what are message boards for...:rolleyes: ) I feel the build quality is quite good. Only real complaint is gas mileage but it beats the Buick and I knew about the issues going into this so can't complain really. Well, actually I can, I'm a pilot and pilots complain about everything. LOL. What is the difference between a jet engine and a pilot? The jet engine stops whining when it gets to the gate!

Oh, and unlike BSoars above me.... I feel sorry for the poor guy who gets my lemon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Haven't traded in a vehicle in years. Always sold them privately. But with the condition of my Sonata (immaculate) I'll wind up trading it in later this year for something else. I know I'm going to lose big time because prices on used ones are so low even at a dealer. They're only offering about 4k. Of course they have to mark it up to stay in business.

·
Registered
46 Posts
2008 GMC ACADIA SLE
There were many repairs over the 4.5 years of ownership, but nothing too major. UNTIL, the cylinder head went at 52k miles...timing chain stretch is what we were told...and we were ready to move on.
Happy with the SFS2T so far, just doing our best to adapt to the wonky steering feedback.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2006 Toyota Matrix AWD....wanted something bigger and well newer. Care gave me no issues and easy to maintain.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2008 Altima, good car, had no issues, wanted to go back to an SUV, and the new Santa Fe had the looks and features than had me sold. So far the Santa Fe has been great and have been impressed with the fit and finish.

·
Registered
248 Posts
2008 Altima, good car, had no issues, wanted to go back to an SUV, and the new Santa Fe had the looks and features than had me sold. So far the Santa Fe has been great and have been impressed with the fit and finish.
2007 Avalanche LTZ

·
Registered
406 Posts
2004 Nissan Pathfinder

Given to us by my mother-in-law a couple of years ago when she realized she just wasn't driving it enough. Only had 22,000 KM's on it. Engine blew up (power valve screws sucked into engine) at 86,000 KM's last May. Had engine rebuilt but it had constant problems and we just couldn't sink any more money into it. Too embarrassed to say how much we dumped into it, but it was free to begin with.

Loving our SFS and the warranty! Not too fond of y leaking windshield, but that's covered.

·
Registered
117 Posts
2009 Corvette. I took a new job in Minneapolis and needed an AWD vehicle. I bought my SF without knowing a thing about them. It was the first one the dealer received and after driving Tuscon without a turbo, drove the 2.0t and loved it. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
2005 chrystler Pacifica AWD touring. It had 90,000 miles on it and needed a timing belt change $600+. The 19in tires needed replacing so another $1000. And the AWD only got 19mpg. Got a 2013 FWD brand new (1st for us). No issues with traction even in winter now.Winter mileage is 23-24mpg calculated not dash. When we 1st got it 29mpg with summer blend. 6000 miles on it now no issues.

1 - 20 of 307 Posts