Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this being the first vehicle I've owned that will be kept looking "pretty", I wanted to know what products you guys use for cleaning the rims, chrome, dash, glass, seats (leather), and the car itself (soap/wax).

The one thing that I have used on all of my vehicles is Rain-X. That stuff is awesome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Get a can or bottle of all wheel cleaner for your nice wheels.
It removes stubborn brake dust that soap cannot remove.

I also keep Quick Detailer by Meguire's on hand, along with Wax As You Dry.
It will be the easiest wax you've ever applied.

Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner works well, but there are many different ones on the market.

You can mix up some tap water and vinegar to make your own cheap, effective, window cleaner.
It can be used safely on tinted windows. Just pour into a spray bottle, and you're good to go.
Never use an amonia based product on tint.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am an auto detailer P/T in the evenings so I know a thing or two about keeping a car clean... I tend to use some products that are not available in the car cleaning isle but that doesn't matter because I still use a good amount of regular car cleaning products. I assume you don't wanna spend hundreds on cleaning/detailing products so I will list some of better products I've used that don't cost a whole lot.

For wheels I like Meguiars "all wheel cleaner" its in a purple spray bottle and it does an excelent job on light to moderate brake dust, just spray it on and I use a white wax applicator to scrub the wheels, works perfect.

For the Chrome, Dash, and all interior plastics I use a quick detailer spray these leave no shine or residue and keep everything looking brand new, the non shine will not attrach dust and it won't make a nasty glare when the sun shines through the windows. I prefer Turtle Wax Ice quick detailer because it leaves a nice scent. Don't worry that it is designed for paint it works perfectly fine. I use a microfiber towel to wipe down the surfaces and it leaves no lint.

For the glass that's simple Stoner brand Invisible Glass, we use it at the shop but its in non labled spray cans since its not re-sold. Its safe for tint if you have it and its just great glass cleaner.

I don't have full leather seats but at the shop we use Lexol brand leather cleaners and conditioner, always have great results with it and I know its availavle on the shelf.

For car wash I prefer Kit wash its yellow (sometimes hard to find or Meguiars Gold Class wash it orange.

For wax I have used a ton of them and I could go on for hours about them. To put it blunt you get what you pay for check out Pinnacle wax google it (starter kit is about $90) if you want something cheaper go for Mothers Pure Carrnuba Wax its in a can about 6 inches round and cost about $20

These are only a few quick reccomendations ask away if you have more questions. I hope I could help.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I use Meguiar's stuff, Gold Class wax and the detailer. It makes the black paint really have a deep shine. I use their wheel spray too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys, especially the no ammonia based cleaner for tinted windows. It looks like Meguiars seems to be the "go to" brand for most of you. I'll start putting my kit together this week.

·
Registered
486 Posts
http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.c...ive-leather.cfm

Just to muddy the water, I've posted in 2 other Threads what I read from a 303 Aerospace Protectant site ABOVE - that MOST ALL Domestic and Asian cars NOW have a Plastic Coating on the Leather AND that they should be Maintained as VINYL. I see no value in Leather care stuff as a result.

I just recd Vinylex made by Lexol (http://www.vinylexprotectant.com/) which Penetrates, Conditions, and gives UV Protection for the top-coating Plasticizers.
Maybe SExy_Sonata can comment on this but that's what the article/PR states.

I'm trying Klasse All-in-One and Klasse Paint Sealer (which I like) But am Not confident you could tell the difference in a "Taste" test between all the good brands. Your observation of Shine AND longest Water Bead time will steer you right, I'm sure.

Have fun trying some.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (CraigS26 @ Nov 20 2010, 06:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373431
http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.c...ive-leather.cfm

Just to muddy the water, I've posted in 2 other Threads what I read from a 303 Aerospace Protectant site ABOVE - that MOST ALL Domestic and Asian cars NOW have a Plastic Coating on the Leather AND that they should be Maintained as VINYL. I see no value in Leather care stuff as a result.

I just recd Vinylex made by Lexol (http://www.vinylexprotectant.com/) which Penetrates, Conditions, and gives UV Protection for the top-coating Plasticizers.
Maybe SExy_Sonata can comment on this but that's what the article/PR states.

I'm trying Klasse All-in-One and Klasse Paint Sealer (which I like) But am Not confident you could tell the difference in a "Taste" test between all the good brands. Your observation of Shine AND longest Water Bead time will steer you right, I'm sure.

Have fun trying some.

I am also a user and fan of 303 "sunscreen" for vinyl and rubber. For the paint I use a waterless method of washing that is a lot like using windex on a window but you use spray wax and microfiber towels instead of window cleaner and paper towels. Just spray down the panel with a good amount of the spray wax and then gently wipe it clean with the microfiber. The wax lubricates and lifts the dirt off and the finish is left waxed and perfect afterwards. I used to use terrycloth towels but recently switched to microfiber which seems to clean better with less effort. I go through about two dozen of the smalll 12"x12" towels (best to clean with a clean towel) as I go around panel by panel. they get washed in hot water before using them again. once a panel is clean I hit it with a very soft touch-up microfiber for the last cleaning of the liquid wax residue and final polish. regular turtle wax spray wax works great for me. When I first got the car i hit it with a few coats of a paste carnauba and the spray-wax cleaning method ensures the car is always coated and therefore easy to clean the next time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
optimum no rinse - no BS in the name no rinse. during winter i wash my car in the garage with 2 gallons of water. you can also dilute at different ratios for lube (clay) and quick detailer. if car is exceptionally dirty i spray off first, but i wash every week or two so my car rarely has a lot of caked on dirt

when i do break out the water hose for a wash, i have some meguiars super soap i got free

wax, i use meguiars tech wax 2.0

clay bar is a must for my pearl white. i use meguiars smooth clay kit, but i'm sure any is fine.

interior i use meguiars natural shine - cleans up like new and no sticky residue afterwards

make sure you have plenty of microfiber towels. get some nice ones for the paint and some walmart specials for the wheels, door jambs, etc

that about covers it for me, but i need a good wheel cleaner so i'm curious to see some more responses here...

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I'm probably gonna invest in Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner and claybar for my White pearl. Best place to buy in brick n' mortar stores? How about online?

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (buckeye45 @ Nov 20 2010, 12:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373375
With this being the first vehicle I've owned that will be kept looking "pretty", I wanted to know what products you guys use for cleaning the rims, chrome, dash, glass, seats (leather), and the car itself (soap/wax).

The one thing that I have used on all of my vehicles is Rain-X. That stuff is awesome.

Thanks.

This is the best detailing I have used, "Z-Best Car Wax". Just search in Google I personally think it's better than Zaino, Zaimo, or Meguiars. Get their 19$ kit. =)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I must say that all the talk on the boards about Invisible Glass convinced me to give it a try and I must say that I am IMPRESSED with it. I used it on my new Sonata Turbo and my wife's Elantra and the windows came out the best I've ever seen. I'll be keeping a look out on other products for washing/detailing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Lexol leather cleaner / conditioner.

Poorboys wax, quick detailer, spray 'n wipe, and interior trim.

Meguiars car wash.

Jaeger

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow, this question always opens up a can of worms, kinda like asking "what oil should I sue" and seems that almost everyone either is, or was a pro, or semi pro detailer, as I was at one time.

First off let me tell you this one thing that most companies don't even tell you. The paint on the car is a "pro rated" system from the OEM for 5 yeas. So dont waste your money on those "5 yr protection" products, why? because the paint already has a 5 yr warranty from Hyundai (pro rated).

Now allot of people get "wax" and "polish" confused. They are NOT the same. On new paints, you should not need a Polish. A wax is used as a layer of protection between the paint and the elements. Its the "barrior" that is needed to protect the paint from the sun, salt, etc. "Polish" has mirco polishing agents that are added to take blemeshes out of the paint surface. On a new car you should not have any, so you can skip this. If the paint is neglected, and you have some light scratches in the clear only, a "polish" hides those very good, then you apply a "wax" on top.

Forgive my french, but Brand Preference is like an opinion, and you know what they say about opinons?? They are like a s s holes everyone has one, haha. SSSSOOOO I will skip the whole brand loyalty bit.

I will tell you what I did when I bought my car new last week. It is VERY important to use a "Car Soap" and not Joy or some dish detergent, that may strip wax (except joy it wont) or dull the plastics (including joy) so use a Soap that is designed for Cars. Look for one that says "conditions paint" and one that "PH Balances" the water. This will help eliminate water spotting. The "conditioner" is nice as it helps nourish the paint and plastics.

Then I clay bared my whole car. Even new cars have a "gritty" feel and you want this to be done to ensure that when you do "wax" that it will bond to the paint (clear actually) and not the dirt ontop.

I then applied 1coat over the whole car, then an additional coat on the front (including headlights) hood, roof and trunk. of a synthetic wax that just came out (not giving brand).

For the plastic I use an arasol product for "trim" and plastics. Make sure you look for a product that states is has "UV' protection or its worthless.

Now, there are "good" waxes, and "great" waxes and the funny thing is, most folks can't tell the difference. Mainly the person applying them might as some are easier to use than others, but from my experience when I used a product that cost $100 an ounce vs. $12 for a 16oz bottles. So you have to be REALLY into cars to know what to look for. So don't kid yourself, if you are fine using a product you bought at wallyworld and your car looks great and your happy? Then your good. Don't buy into the hype of products that make a bunch of promises.

A good instant detailer, or spray wax is great for "in between' shine and protection. I usually will wax the car once a month or every other month and use a spray wax every week after I wash the car.

I hope this helps you, and if you need any other input feel free to PM me. I don't want to get into an arguement here on the boards. Its pointless. haha.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Gave my baby a nice wash, polish and wax. Polish only only the rear bumper due to some fine scratches caused by my hockey bag. Will have to either get 3M or a protector pad for the future. Scratches all gone after polishing. Nice layer of wax and it rained right after and everything just beaded off. Went with Auto Glym all around. It was onsale for 25% off so gave it a shot and the reviews are pretty good.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
QUOTE (Jeffs2011SonataSE @ May 7 2011, 05:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=441892
Wow, this question always opens up a can of worms, kinda like asking "what oil should I sue" and seems that almost everyone either is, or was a pro, or semi pro detailer, as I was at one time.

First off let me tell you this one thing that most companies don't even tell you. The paint on the car is a "pro rated" system from the OEM for 5 yeas. So dont waste your money on those "5 yr protection" products, why? because the paint already has a 5 yr warranty from Hyundai (pro rated).

Now allot of people get "wax" and "polish" confused. They are NOT the same. On new paints, you should not need a Polish. A wax is used as a layer of protection between the paint and the elements. Its the "barrior" that is needed to protect the paint from the sun, salt, etc. "Polish" has mirco polishing agents that are added to take blemeshes out of the paint surface. On a new car you should not have any, so you can skip this. If the paint is neglected, and you have some light scratches in the clear only, a "polish" hides those very good, then you apply a "wax" on top.

Forgive my french, but Brand Preference is like an opinion, and you know what they say about opinons?? They are like a s s holes everyone has one, haha. SSSSOOOO I will skip the whole brand loyalty bit.

I will tell you what I did when I bought my car new last week. It is VERY important to use a "Car Soap" and not Joy or some dish detergent, that may strip wax (except joy it wont) or dull the plastics (including joy) so use a Soap that is designed for Cars. Look for one that says "conditions paint" and one that "PH Balances" the water. This will help eliminate water spotting. The "conditioner" is nice as it helps nourish the paint and plastics.

Then I clay bared my whole car. Even new cars have a "gritty" feel and you want this to be done to ensure that when you do "wax" that it will bond to the paint (clear actually) and not the dirt ontop.

I then applied 1coat over the whole car, then an additional coat on the front (including headlights) hood, roof and trunk. of a synthetic wax that just came out (not giving brand).

For the plastic I use an arasol product for "trim" and plastics. Make sure you look for a product that states is has "UV' protection or its worthless.

Now, there are "good" waxes, and "great" waxes and the funny thing is, most folks can't tell the difference. Mainly the person applying them might as some are easier to use than others, but from my experience when I used a product that cost $100 an ounce vs. $12 for a 16oz bottles. So you have to be REALLY into cars to know what to look for. So don't kid yourself, if you are fine using a product you bought at wallyworld and your car looks great and your happy? Then your good. Don't buy into the hype of products that make a bunch of promises.

A good instant detailer, or spray wax is great for "in between' shine and protection. I usually will wax the car once a month or every other month and use a spray wax every week after I wash the car.

I hope this helps you, and if you need any other input feel free to PM me. I don't want to get into an arguement here on the boards. Its pointless. haha.

Jeff
Well put.

QUOTE (Souks @ May 7 2011, 08:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=441936
Gave my baby a nice wash, polish and wax. Polish only only the rear bumper due to some fine scratches caused by my hockey bag. Will have to either get 3M or a protector pad for the future. Scratches all gone after polishing. Nice layer of wax and it rained right after and everything just beaded off. Went with Auto Glym all around. It was onsale for 25% off so gave it a shot and the reviews are pretty good.
I saw that stuff and bought some of the leather cleaner/conditioner. Did you get that as well. I haven't opened it yet and am really on the fence about it. I need new leather cleaner conditioner, but with this new leather being treated with a poly coating, I am unsure of what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (jasen1 @ May 7 2011, 09:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=441971
I saw that stuff and bought some of the leather cleaner/conditioner. Did you get that as well. I haven't opened it yet and am really on the fence about it. I need new leather cleaner conditioner, but with this new leather being treated with a poly coating, I am unsure of what works and what doesn't.
Didn't get the leather stuff, just the HD Wax, Super Resin Polish, and the rubber vinyl stuff. 3 of the Canadian Tire's I visited didn't have the wheel cleaner either, so I just used the super Resin Polish stuff since the wheels are nice and clean and then did the HD wax on it too. It came out looking 1000x better than it originaly did. Auto Glym says you can use both products on wheels so gave it a try. looking for the glass cleaner. I had a bottle of Meguires leather care so used that and it leaves a greasy residue, so I'm guessing the leather didn't absorb it like leather would. Will have to find some of the stuff others mentioned somewhere.

Now I got to find some window cleaner that is safe for tints in this city. Only had two options at Canadian Tire, Windex and Simple Green.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ May 7 2011, 10:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=441973
Didn't get the leather stuff, just the HD Wax, Super Resin Polish, and the rubber vinyl stuff. 3 of the Canadian Tire's I visited didn't have the wheel cleaner either, so I just used the super Resin Polish stuff since the wheels are nice and clean and then did the HD wax on it too. It came out looking 1000x better than it originaly did. Auto Glym says you can use both products on wheels so gave it a try. looking for the glass cleaner. I had a bottle of Meguires leather care so used that and it leaves a greasy residue, so I'm guessing the leather didn't absorb it like leather would. Will have to find some of the stuff others mentioned somewhere.

Now I got to find some window cleaner that is safe for tints in this city. Only had two options at Canadian Tire, Windex and Simple Green.
HELLL NOOOOOO!!!!!
best glass cleaner in the world is "Stoner Invisible glass"
get it at costco in the 4 pack. I think I saw it at walmart also.

Ammonia in the windex will turn your tint pink/purple. AVOID it at all costs.
as for the leather stuff, they guy I bought my Autoglym at from partsoruce said this product was designed not to leave greasy residue on the poly treated leather. If it does, I can return it no problem....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hmmm, will have to check out Costco for the glass cleaner. Will go grab a bottle of the AutoGlym leather thing too, for $10, worth a try.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts