Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if already covered.

I like the matt finish in my 13 Azera Tech package leather seats and would like to treat the leather and keep it that way.

What are others using to accomplish this?

TIA,

Tracy

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Apologies if already covered.

I like the matt finish in my 13 Azera Tech package leather seats and would like to treat the leather and keep it that way.

What are others using to accomplish this?

TIA,

Tracy
Boy are you going to get all kinds of advice.....
I have tried many different brands and found that Meguiars gold leather cleaner/conditioner works the best for me...easy to apply easy to remove Plus it's cheap. Your biggest problem is the matt finish you want to keep.
I have tried at least 5 or 6 different name brand leather products and they all
gave a sheen to the leather

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
When I bought my current car 15 years ago, it was my first one with leather. I researched extensively to find the best leather product and chose Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner. I have been treating those seats for 15 years and they still look like new. Same story for my wife's car which she kept 10 years, and her current one at two years. Lexol gives the matte finish you want.

The trick is to identify which part of the seat is leather and which part is matching vinyl. Typically, only the parts of the seat that touch you are leather (seat top and front of seat back). The way you can tell is press your finger into the fabric. If you see tiny wrinkles radiating out from your finger, it is leather. If not, it is vinyl. It is a subtle difference, but you can see it. Treat the leather parts with Lexol. Treat the vinyl parts, and all the other vinyl and plastic parts of your interior, with Vinylex, a great vinyl conditioner from the same company. Yes, my 15-year old car, treated with Vinylex, still looks like new inside. Vinylex is also great on tires, exterior black plastic, and weatherstripping.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you MV, I am very familiar with Lexol. I really want to maintain the matt finish. From what I read it is best to clean with damp cloth and use a protector. It is conditioner that makes the leather shine.

I have some Lexol protector at home I have used on motorcycle saddle bags and they did not shine which did pleasantly surprise me.

I found this link as well.

Getting the leather back to "matte"!! - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Another option is the Griot's Garage leather treatment.
griotsgarage.com

I've used their leather treatment for years on the leather in my 928S, 535i, Azera, Tahoe. Works great.

This is a car guy's car care place. If nothing else, check out the tools and car care stuff.

·
22,788 Posts
Another option is the Griot's Garage leather treatment.
griotsgarage.com

I've used their leather treatment for years on the leather in my 928S, 535i, Azera, Tahoe. Works great.

This is a car guy's car care place. If nothing else, check out the tools and car care stuff.
+1 on Griot's leather care. Love how the seats look. Love the mild aroma that lingers behind. Car STILL smells new after 17 months. Like the directions say, "use sparingly" with a THIN application. Several thin coats are much, MUCH better than a thick one. One bottle lasts "what seems like" forever!

Ultimately, the decision rests upon you. As long as you stick to a quality product (those listed above are all excellent), you're gonna be the winner in this dance contest. And so is your car's seats. When someone cares this much for their car, its a sign of great ownership. Good luck and Happy Leathering!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
On one car I have light tan leather, a mistake. Seems that leather belts and jeans can transfer dye to the seats and, well, it does not come off. Had to have one seat re done by a detailer to get back to original, I actually rubbed the dye off of the seat trying to remove the stain. I use Lexol for the conditioning but with Tan, decided that a seat cover of some kind is the only way to keep the leather belts and jeans from re staining the seats. Lesson learned, go with a dark leather.

·
22,788 Posts
On one car I have light tan leather, a mistake. Seems that leather belts and jeans can transfer dye to the seats and, well, it does not come off. Had to have one seat re done by a detailer to get back to original, I actually rubbed the dye off of the seat trying to remove the stain. I use Lexol for the conditioning but with Tan, decided that a seat cover of some kind is the only way to keep the leather belts and jeans from re staining the seats. Lesson learned, go with a dark leather.
Someone else posted on the Elantra sub-forum about the "blue" in his jeans transferring onto the leather. He used one of the above products...bought it at Wally World...Meguiar's, I believe. Anyway, he divided the driver's seat down the middle with a piece of tape and did a "side by side," Before/After comparison. Unbelievable. I wouldn't have guessed it in a million years. However, I don't recall him mentioning any fading. And it was the tan leather, as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts