Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hopefully not KY jelly...

going to be doing a fluid flush on a 2007 elantra auto in the near future...are there any good alternatives to buying the fluid at a premium price from the stealership? any other sources? i'm in canada btw so getting it shipped with our postal laws may not be an option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A good thread on the subject that might help you out:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2152302

Personally, I try to run Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF when I can. Have not checked to see if it's compatible with an Elantra automatic, as my Elantra is a stick. But running it in my Focus wagon right now and have used it in other past vehicles. The best, in my opinion.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx#

You'd have to do the research and see if Mobil 1 meets the Hyundai spec.

I think this is the OEM fluid available at your dealer:

http://www.werhyundaiparts.com/oem-part/oem-hyundai/atf-sp-iii/0023011000

An expensive option:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/signature-series-multi-vehicle-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/?page=/storefront/atf.aspx

I would opine that the type of fluid you use in an Elantra, as long as it meets spec, is a lot less important than changing the fluid at appropriate intervals...something most people neglect.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Castrol multi import sp111 compatible, 4 liter jugs from wallymart, around $6 per liter. Have used for over 7 years now.

Canadian dealer mark up around 200 percent.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have to admit i'm not a fan of the multi vehicle fluids...one size fits all usually means one size fits none.

i'll give it a good look though, don't want to put any option out in the cold right yet. thanks.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I feel the same way about multi use fluids. Manufacturers use specific fluids and design/build/test parts around specific fluids. If a cheaper multi use fluid was acceptable they would probably save money and use it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats exactly how i feel about it.

a multi fluid is designed to meet many specs. the specs are more of a minimum set of properties, oil additive content, etc. a multi spec fluid has to meet all the minimum specs....so if it meets honda, toyota, and hyundai, how do i know what the honda and toyota spec/additives is going to do to my car?

i did read somewhere that hyundai just uses Mitsubishi fluids. kind of like how years ago toyota used GM dexron...any truth to that?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yes, in fact the Sp standard is actually SP/Diamond standard fluids (Diamond as in Mitsubishi diamond) There is also Chrysler products which used Mitsubishi engines and the Diamond fluids, which later became a cousin to today's ATF +4 products you find in Wally World. I successfully use the cheapo Super Tech +4 product in my Kia sometimes to do a flush, and an OEM Kia SP III flush when I feel rich.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Another safe alternative: Kia dealers also sells the exact same fluid under their name. Was 30% cheaper last time I had to buy some. Think 1st yr Kia Forte had the exact same 4sp trans under the hood.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
A large number of the early NF Sonata guys are using the Castrol. I used it on my first change/flush and will use it again when I drain and refill in the very near future.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Have logged over 500k kilometres on several different hyundai's with the Castrol, not a two bit fly by night company.

Would I put it in a brand new 40k$ Genesis under warranty--no.

I bought jugs of dealer sp111 with dealer receit paper trail while still in warranty to avoid BS problems.

The cost savings has allowed me to change tranny fluid more often ; which IMO is even more important.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts