Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly, I enjoy having a clear vehicle.

The 2018 Santa Fe 2.0T Ultimate here got about 2 1/2 hours of tender loving care.

Having done some research about the value of clay-baring a car's finish...I was still slightly skeptical if the results would be all that some hype it up to be.:smile:

First...a Meguiar's Clay Bar treatment. That was both interesting and rewarding. Despite what had seemed to be a very thorough washing, doing the Clay Bar treatment "exposed" all sorts of surface dirt that could not be seen nor really felt. Following the Clay Bar 1 hour job...it was amazing how much smoother the finish was.

Next...spent about an hour or so doing a Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid polymer wax job.

Holy Moley! The finish feels incredibly smooth, has a terrific shine...and supposedly will protect the finish for up to 6 months.

But then...that was so much "fun"...with those results...I suspect I'll repeat the 2-step process in 90 days or so.

·
Registered
427 Posts
yeah, I used to to that once a year before I had kids. No time for that now. But yeah, the clay makes the car really smooth. (but it doesn't really matter to me anymore now).

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Nope...never an option here...paste wax doesn't last as long with twice the work.

I never tried their polymer finish (If it's Meguire's, it has to be good) but I have used their yellow wax followed by their Ultimate paste wax and you can't beat the finish.

Can you...?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yeah, I used to to that once a year before I had kids. No time for that now. But yeah, the clay makes the car really smooth. (but it doesn't really matter to me anymore now).
Yeah....I can respect that. The full Clay Bar followed by Ultimate Liquid polymer was jobs take a total of about 2 1/2 hours or so...time well spent but not time available to everyone. But having now seen the results of this process...I'm making the time to do this at least twice per year.
I never tried their polymer finish (If it's Meguire's, it has to be good) but I have used their yellow wax followed by their Ultimate paste wax and you can't beat the finish.

Can you...?
Nice. I have a friend who turned me on to the Meguiar's products...he used the paste for a couple years. He told me that it does a terrific job.

But he also pointed out the fact that he later switched to the Ultimate Liquid polymer product after seeing that his weekly washes "wore out" the paste wax shine in about 60 days. He said he got the very same results with the polymer liquid version, but it lasted at least twice as long. he also said it was much easier to apply and buff off with minimal effort.

Therefore, I started out with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid...and after the Clay Bar treatment (including the 19" wheels)...the results are fantastic...and the durability should be longer. The Pearl White exterior color "pops".

One last tidbit - I did the same thing with my wife's 2013 car, and also turned on another friend to Ultimate Liquid who did his 2014 Santa Fe this past weekend - both cars now have stellar finishes.

The Clay Bar treatment before applying a new coat of wax makes a significant difference. It was both a surprise and quite amazing just how much surface dirt was removed on what appeared to be a very clean car following a car wash. I thought the Clay Bar kits were perhaps a bit of excess hype...but they indeed are not. Nice.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
118 Posts
I started using a clay bar probably about 20 years ago. I finally bought an alternative that can be cleaned instead of replaced.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Clay_Block_V2_Luber_Surface_Cleaner_p/clay_block_kit.htm

Only need to use this or clay when the surface feels contaminated (not smooth). I may have to use it more often now that I live at a place where I can't wash my car at home and time between washes is a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use meguiars ultimate liquid wax, best I have ever used, stays on for like a year. I do it at least once a year before winter, just to help reduce paint damage.

I used to do it spring/fall

Honestly with the business and kids, I might just pay someone to do it now.

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
316 Posts
i've been on nu finish since it came out. easy enough and last almost a year with partial garage kept. i'm going to try the ultimate next.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I too have used Nu Finish for over 20 years. I apply it in the spring and fall. I'm more concerned with protection over shine, and it's always preformed very well for me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I too have used Nu Finish for over 20 years. I apply it in the spring and fall. I'm more concerned with protection over shine, and it's always preformed very well for me.
i've been on nu finish since it came out. easy enough and last almost a year with partial garage kept. i'm going to try the ultimate next.
Nu Finish is notorious for leaving a white dusty film residue on non-painted trim. It's also more difficult to work with...and given Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid has neither problem..and both provide longer-lasting protection...Nu Finish was never an option here. If folks are happy with it though...by all means...at least it provides some protection.

·
Registered
427 Posts
seriously, I have tried many waxes and nothing comes close to the ultimate liquid wax... I still have bottles of other waxes and I don't even want to use them anymore.

it's sooo easy to apply and just buff out. Easy, fast, awesome finish.

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
316 Posts
FYI scotty kilmer highly recommends nu finish. lol yeah next wax job will be in july or august on my subaru and i'm going for the ultimate. honestly the only problem i have with the nu finish is the residue on the black plastic. but other basic waxes do the same thing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI scotty kilmer highly recommends nu finish. lol yeah next wax job will be in july or august on my subaru and i'm going for the ultimate. honestly the only problem i have with the nu finish is the residue on the black plastic. but other basic waxes do the same thing.
One key thing to make any wax job successful is to get it washed first...and clay baring it is also something that will end up with super results. I've always heard about how great doing a clay bar prior to waxing would improve the results...but now I'm sold on it.
I started using a clay bar probably about 20 years ago. I finally bought an alternative that can be cleaned instead of replaced.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Clay_Block_V2_Luber_Surface_Cleaner_p/clay_block_kit.htm
Thanks for that recommendation...I just ordered a clay block kit from them (and watched all the neat online videos on the value of that product.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Admittedly, I enjoy having a clear vehicle.

The 2018 Santa Fe 2.0T Ultimate here got about 2 1/2 hours of tender loving care.

Having done some research about the value of clay-baring a car's finish...I was still slightly skeptical if the results would be all that some hype it up to be.:smile:

First...a Meguiar's Clay Bar treatment. That was both interesting and rewarding. Despite what had seemed to be a very thorough washing, doing the Clay Bar treatment "exposed" all sorts of surface dirt that could not be seen nor really felt. Following the Clay Bar 1 hour job...it was amazing how much smoother the finish was.

Next...spent about an hour or so doing a Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid polymer wax job.

Holy Moley! The finish feels incredibly smooth, has a terrific shine...and supposedly will protect the finish for up to 6 months.

But then...that was so much "fun"...with those results...I suspect I'll repeat the 2-step process in 90 days or so.

I have to comment, I'm impressed that you guys are waxing your cars. Where I live, it seems like I'm the only one that hand washes and waxes our cars. The car wash places around me are busy all the time. People think getting that spray on wax is protecting their paint.

I've had my 2018 SFS for 6 weeks and 2 weeks ago I waxed it with Mothers Carnuba wax. I was very impressed of the quality of the base coat/clear coat paint. Those of you that waxed cars from the 50's and 60's can appreciate the Hyundai paint. My neighbors couldn't believe I was waxing a brand new car. They think you should wait until it needs it. Having love bugs in Florida twice a year, it's a good idea to especially keep the front end waxed.

My theory is to wax every place I see paint. I do the door jambs too so dirt and dust will wipe right off when I dry the car after a good washing.
I'll have to try the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Polymer.:beer:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had my 2018 SFS for 6 weeks and 2 weeks ago I waxed it with Mothers Carnuba wax. I was very impressed of the quality of the base coat/clear coat paint. Those of you that waxed cars from the 50's and 60's can appreciate the Hyundai paint. My neighbors couldn't believe I was waxing a brand new car. They think you should wait until it needs it.
Things have changed since the "olden days". :grin2:

With car finishes routinely including clear coat on top of the paint colored layers..applying a protective wax on a new vehicle is actually good "preventative maintenance". Nooks and crannies get dirty just like and sometimes more than other visible surfaces...so keeping those clean and protective can only result in beneficial results.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
LOL. Hey, I was once that particular about my vehicles. You could read a book or newspaper off of my vehicles. Then life happened. Got a little older and a LOT busier. Vehicles became more of a necessity than a show piece.

Going to try it just for grins and giggles. Will be a BIG test on my wife's vehicle once she moves to a new job. She works at a Coke plant. Coke as in coal, not cola. Drives a white SF long.

Reactions: Hyundaifan0001
1 - 20 of 27 Posts