Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
22,787 Posts
Hello All, I just purchased a new 2013 Elantra Limited 2 weeks ago. It will be a daily commute car. I was using a 2013 Porsche Boxster S, but after 28,000 miles in one year I decided to get a car for commuting. I love this car. It's loaded with everything. Especially since I got it for $20,978. Although I bought the bumber to bumper warranty for 100,000 miles that was $1200 extra. I got a black one. I ordered some cool ADR Classic rims for it, and considering changing emblems to Genesis wings, has anyone done that yet?
There have been some Genesis emblem mods done. As well as some others. Try the search button at the top of the page. Use 'Genesis' as your keyword.

:00000732:Welcome to the forums!

·
22,787 Posts
Hi I've recently purchase a 2012 Elantra Limited in the US to import into Canada. I'm having a great challenge in finding any dealer in the US & Canada to install a transponder ignition disabler to comply with the Canadian admissibility requirements. Please help with any lead or suggestions. Thanks
Hopefully, someone will be able to lend an assist. Since it's Father's Day, the responses may be slow coming. But don't give up hope.

:00000732:And, welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone, just signed up as I just purchased a 2013 Elantra. Been just browsing the forums and reading a lot on what to expect from this car.

I just retired my beloved 2003 Mazda Protege, had some great memories with this car but I'm looking forward to creating more with the Elantra!

Off to read some more :)

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Hello everyone, just signed up as I just purchased a 2013 Elantra. Been just browsing the forums and reading a lot on what to expect from this car.

I just retired my beloved 2003 Mazda Protege, had some great memories with this car but I'm looking forward to creating more with the Elantra!

Off to read some more :)
Welcome to the forum ! :00000732:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbie here.

Hi everyone. Recently found this forum, been reading along, and I'm amazed of the amount of info I get so I signed up! Recently got a '14 GLS and looking forward to having great time here!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone. I don't actually own an Elantra, but my girlfriend has had a '14 SE with the preferred package and 6AT for a few months now. I bought a new Accord last fall, so I ended up helping her with the buying process not long after we started dating, and I was impressed with how far Hyundai has come. I actually like the interior of her car better than mine. It also gets good mileage without sacrificing too much pep.

Anyway, as I was changing the oil on it the other day, it occurred to me that a lot of the maintenance will probably fall to me if things work out between us (so far, it looks like there's a pretty good chance of that... if I can get her to stick around :D). Because of that, I thought it'd be a good idea to find a decent Elantra forum and keep an eye on what's going on in their world. This looks like the best and most active of the bunch, so I'm looking forward to picking up on the insights you guys have.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Hey mbnc welcome to the forum, looks like you both have good taste in cars. You will be happy to know that your next few years of maintenance are oil changes, tire rotations, adding wiper fluid, and checking and replacing filters and wipers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all!

Just bought my first Elantra! I've never owned a non-"American" vehicle before this, and I absolutely love her. 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited, black, with tech package.

Coming off of a Fix-Often-Repair-Daily 2011 Ford Fiesta that has been in and out of the shop repeatedly since driving it off of the lot - finally gave up when its transmission blew out three times in a month and Ford told me that it was fine. Their actual words were, "That isn't our problem, ma'am," so I washed my hands of American vehicles.

Elantra stood out to me, and I absolutely love Odile. She's a dream to drive - my road rage is probably 95% less than what it was. :D It took a long time to get her and in that time I stalked the heck out of this forum. Couldn't wait to join. And now I have! :)

Anyway, glad to be here!
Cheers,
Kim

·
22,787 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Kim! :00000732:

You may not realize it, but you have a 50-50 chance that your new Elantra WAS built in the USA. Check your VIN # on the dash behind the windshield (or any paperwork within your grasp. If the number starts with the letter "K," it was built in Ulsan, Korea. If it starts with the number "5," however, its birthplace is Montgomery, Alabama.

But, you're right. It is, by virtue of its name bade, a non-American car.

BTW, back in the 50-60's, we used to call it First-On-Race-Day. Really upset those Chevy guys. Can't say that anymore. :wink2:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi all!

Just bought my first Elantra! I've never owned a non-"American" vehicle before this, and I absolutely love her. 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited, black, with tech package.

Coming off of a Fix-Often-Repair-Daily 2011 Ford Fiesta that has been in and out of the shop repeatedly since driving it off of the lot - finally gave up when its transmission blew out three times in a month and Ford told me that it was fine. Their actual words were, "That isn't our problem, ma'am," so I washed my hands of American vehicles.

Elantra stood out to me, and I absolutely love Odile. She's a dream to drive - my road rage is probably 95% less than what it was. :D It took a long time to get her and in that time I stalked the heck out of this forum. Couldn't wait to join. And now I have! :)

Anyway, glad to be here!
Cheers,
Kim
Welcome, and I wouldn't get so upset with American brands, after all a Focus will always be a Focus...

Congrats on the road rage decrease lol.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Hi all!

Anyway, glad to be here!
Cheers,
Kim

Hmm...where in New England are you? You kinda cute...:wink:

(and young enough to be my daughter...:eek: :D )

·
22,787 Posts
Hmm...where in New England are you? You kinda cute...:wink:

(and young enough to be my daughter...:eek: :D )
That was hilarious. I didn't see that coming. I've got granddaughters...several of which may be Kim's age. :grin2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is definitely an Ulsan plant! I think it was meant to be, though. The first two letters of the VIN are "KM" (as in "Kim"), so I think it was Fate. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. :laugh: My father is all about American Muscle, so he was devastated that I was buying a car from a company that didn't originate in the good ole U.S. of A. He actually threatened to remove me from his will before calming down and realizing a "non-American" car isn't the end of the world.

Have to admit, I'm not quite up on the Elantra slang yet - what is the "Montgomery" build?

MrPlop: I did test drive a newer Focus before choosing the Elantra, and I have to say that I was shocked at how much of a difference there was. The Focus felt like a bucket of bolts. I used to have a 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 convertible, as well, that I constantly had to pour money into, so I'm leery of American made vehicles now. I do give props to Lincoln - I drove a Lincoln Town Car for a while and that thing was a tank. I was a middle car in a three car accident and the extent of the damage was some scratches on the rear bumper. The car behind me was totaled!

I wouldn't mind a Corvette, of course :D, but otherwise I think reliability is the name of the game for car choices in my life right now after all of this car trauma with Ford. Before getting Odile on 01 October I had been without a drivable vehicle from mid July while Ford yanked my chain around. Never going to put myself through that again!!

Steampunk: Flattering, thank you! I do have a boyfriend, though. :)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It is definitely an Ulsan plant! I think it was meant to be, though. The first two letters of the VIN are "KM" (as in "Kim"), so I think it was Fate. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. :laugh: My father is all about American Muscle, so he was devastated that I was buying a car from a company that didn't originate in the good ole U.S. of A. He actually threatened to remove me from his will before calming down and realizing a "non-American" car isn't the end of the world.

Have to admit, I'm not quite up on the Elantra slang yet - what is the "Montgomery" build?

MrPlop: I did test drive a newer Focus before choosing the Elantra, and I have to say that I was shocked at how much of a difference there was. The Focus felt like a bucket of bolts. I used to have a 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 convertible, as well, that I constantly had to pour money into, so I'm leery of American made vehicles now. I do give props to Lincoln - I drove a Lincoln Town Car for a while and that thing was a tank. I was a middle car in a three car accident and the extent of the damage was some scratches on the rear bumper. The car behind me was totaled!

I wouldn't mind a Corvette, of course :D, but otherwise I think reliability is the name of the game for car choices in my life right now after all of this car trauma with Ford. Before getting Odile on 01 October I had been without a drivable vehicle from mid July while Ford yanked my chain around. Never going to put myself through that again!!

Steampunk: Flattering, thank you! I do have a boyfriend, though. :)
Montgomery Alabama has a plant, that Rich is referring to. Some of Elantra Sedans, and Sonatas are manufactured there.

Congratulations on your car, and welcome to the forum.

·
22,787 Posts
My father is all about American Muscle, so he was devastated that I was buying a car from a company that didn't originate in the good ole U.S. of A.
I hope he doesn't watch his football on a Samsung flat screen or wash/dry his clothes with Samsung. If he does, don't say a word. :grin: We wouldn't want him to implode at the news.

And, like your dad, I grew up with American muscle cars. They're just not what they used to be. Either that, or I'm just not willing to risk my hard-earned money buying one of the domestic models of the Big 3, only to have it start falling apart in several years, possibly sooner. Detroit steel used to RULE the highways and bi-ways of America! And they were sought after by everyone. Those were the days. WERE!

They can still make a comeback. But that's gonna take some time and effort. And, that's a long row to hoe!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hope he doesn't watch his football on a Samsung flat screen or wash/dry his clothes with Samsung. If he does, don't say a word. :grin: We wouldn't want him to implode at the news.

And, like your dad, I grew up with American muscle cars. They're just not what they used to be. Either that, or I'm just not willing to risk my hard-earned money buying one of the domestic models of the Big 3, only to have it start falling apart in several years, possibly sooner. Detroit steel used to RULE the highways and bi-ways of America! And they were sought after by everyone. Those were the days. WERE!

They can still make a comeback. But that's gonna take some time and effort. And, that's a long row to hoe!
Funnily enough, he watches his TV on a Sony! He can get very particular about certain items. I hear you though - American cars just aren't what they used to be.

Ah, it didn't occur to me that you meant Montgomery, Alabama. Here I was thinking there was some sort of Hyundai slang code for different builds! :nerd:

21 - 40 of 85 Posts