Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is a way or someone has installed these on the rear doors of their Tucson. I managed to find the wiring for the front side, I was just hoping to match the rear doors to the front. I just need to know which wires turn on when the doors are open and turns off when they're closed. Thanks

I've attached a picture of the driver side

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
The rear doors don't have the reflector in them so you'd end up mounting them on the door itself and have it look pretty bad.. plus they would probably also hit the body of the car and end up falling off / breaking / whatever.

The rear doors also don't have the same wiring, so there's 'probably' no wiring to use that would be the same as the front doors.

This is why they only sell front kits.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is a wire connected to the dome light but that's connected to the body's not the door. It's where the little button gets pressed on the lower b pillar

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a wire connected to the dome light but that's connected to the body's not the door. It's where the little button gets pressed on the lower b pillar
So it would only turn on when the lights turn on? I have thought about tapping into the dome lights and I'd have to run a longer line. I just thought since it shows that the rear doors are open that I could tap it from that wire, just not sure which wires those are.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So it would only turn on when the lights turn on? I have thought about tapping into the dome lights and I'd have to run a longer line. I just thought since it shows that the rear doors are open that I could tap it from that wire, just not sure which wires those are.

I assume it would be the same source. Open the door and press the little button with your hand, will it show the door closed? On my Sonata I have 2 dome lights, I assume you also have two(front rear). I figured if you go into the carpeting you can wire it up the B pillar

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume it would be the same source. Open the door and press the little button with your hand, will it show the door closed? On my Sonata I have 2 dome lights, I assume you also have two(front rear). I figured if you go into the carpeting you can wire it up the B pillar
Thanks, i'll try it out later..

·
Registered
138 Posts
the front doors.

This is why they only sell front kits.
So I looked online for front door light kits and can only find generic 3rd party kits.

Were you meaning that there are kits specifically for the Tucson?

If so, do you have a link or manufacturer name?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the finished product, I tapped into the dome lights. Since I have a moon roof, I have one on each side. I just ran the wires through the B pillars, I still would have liked to tap the wires by the doors themselves but I guess this is good enough, at least it looks symmetrical unlike when it was just the front doors that have them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Niceeee and even better that you have a source on each side. Did you have any issues hiding the wires?
I did, from the B pillar to the door itself. I wanted to run it through inside the wiring harness in the doors but I had no luck finding space, so it's visible outside when the front doors are open.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The only problem that might occur is when it gets hot out, cold out, vice versa and all of the above.. eventually those strips could just fall off. Unless you've already secured them better with some tape/adhesive.

It's definitely a cheaper way of doing it versus the oem puddle lights that you have to drill a hole into the doors for..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only problem that might occur is when it gets hot out, cold out, vice versa and all of the above.. eventually those strips could just fall off. Unless you've already secured them better with some tape/adhesive.

It's definitely a cheaper way of doing it versus the oem puddle lights that you have to drill a hole into the doors for..
Yeah i got that accounted for since I am in Canada our weather is unpredictable

·
Registered
941 Posts
I do like the idea of this... I wasn't going to get into doing anything too 'crazy' with my Tucson but everyone's images for different things just keep making me want to do everything I swore I wouldn't do!

So the dome light is pretty much the only / easiest way to do the rear doors eh?

I was thinking of the front door welcome lights like the led reflectors but those wouldn't activate if only the rear door is opened. I might have to take a look at doing this. Just for fun.

What did you use to account for the long term effects of the weather?

When I did underhood lighting in my Elantra I did _not_ account for engine heat... oops.. melted half of the strips.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do like the idea of this... I wasn't going to get into doing anything too 'crazy' with my Tucson but everyone's images for different things just keep making me want to do everything I swore I wouldn't do!

So the dome light is pretty much the only / easiest way to do the rear doors eh?

I was thinking of the front door welcome lights like the led reflectors but those wouldn't activate if only the rear door is opened. I might have to take a look at doing this. Just for fun.

What did you use to account for the long term effects of the weather?

When I did underhood lighting in my Elantra I did _not_ account for engine heat... oops.. melted half of the strips.
Not unless you want to try out every single wiring combination of the rear doors, that was the only way me and some guys here thought was possible lol.

Well since I did the front doors not having the rear doors just didn't seem right to me.

I accounted for the adhesive on the strips themselves and added a stronger adhesive

·
Registered
941 Posts
These are the door wiring plugs.. I doubt that any of them are constantly hot after the door is opened to supply power to the leds.. the window switches obviously not either, nor the speakers.

Buuuutt... MAYBE, the first pin? Door Switch (AJAR) .. would that be a hot wire signaling the door is open? I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to try and figure out...

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ok so none of those are hot wires.. guess the dome light is the only / easiest thing to do.

For anyone wanting to do this, but with clean(er) wiring... I did take the time to figure out how to accomplish that...

I used a wire worm to get the wire from the door harness opening down to this grommet at the bottom of the door..

I knew I needed to get the wire through the door plugs, somehow...

So of course, drill a hole! Carefully and exactly, I found the perfect spot.. and a 3/32" drill bit fit the gauge wire I had perfectly.. the hole is on the bottom end of the plug, but I guess the top would work just as well.

Then it was just a matter of passing the wire through everywhere it needed to go..

All that was left was connecting the plug and calling it a day..

Reconnecting the plug did give me a little bit of a fight.. I didn't do anything on the door side of the plug to ease the fitment of the wire coming through.. really had to press the plug on to get it into place.. a smaller gauge wire might be a little easier, or finding a safe spot to make a hole on that plug also.

I think I might be doing this project.. now that I have one wire run for power :grin2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts