Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. So the past two days I went out to start my car to let it sit for a minute or two. When I went back out I heard a strange noise coming from the passenger side towards the front of the engine. So I got in the car and went to drive out. I shifted into gear and went to pull out and when I turned the steering wheel my battery light came on and the steering wheel got hard. Only lasted for about a second. Then while driving I noticed the passenger side creeks when I hit a bump. Also after driving and parking I noticed my car jumps around slightly at idle

I'll get a video of the noise tomorrow morning

Also, I do have a custom cold air intake I built myself, and a custom built exhaust.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
start with the basics. check for a loose and/or severely worn belt. with your wheel turned, the load on the PS pump is at its highest. if the belt is shot, it could be slipping. if it's a serpentine belt that can also take out the alternator momentarily.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
start with the basics. check for a loose and/or severely worn belt. with your wheel turned, the load on the PS pump is at its highest. if the belt is shot, it could be slipping. if it's a serpentine belt that can also take out the alternator momentarily.
Weird thing is it only happens when I first pull out in the morning. Once when pulling out, then again when I backed up to finish the turn.
After I started driving it didn't do it.

I'm going to try and change the belt today. Any advice? Seems pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had an idler pulley fail that made a strange noise at startup, but would lessen once the car was running a bit.
I was thinking of replacing the idler pulley along with the belt.

What's the part number and how hard is it to replace the idler pulley.
Could it be the crank pulley?

Here's what I was looking to purchase

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-4060975-Gatorback-Poly-V-Belts/dp/B000C34KVU/ref=au_pf_ss_1?ie=UTF8&Make=Hyundai%7C3&Model=Sonata%7C21&Year=2006%7C2006&carId=005&n=15684181&s=automotive[/ame]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a part number. That looks like the idle pulley. It took 5 minutes to replace the pulley. It took much longer to fight with the serpentine belt. :angry: I need to replace the crank pulley. It's delaminating. Anybody know where I can find a diagram of engine parts?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I don't have a part number. That looks like the idle pulley. It took 5 minutes to replace the pulley. It took much longer to fight with the serpentine belt. :angry: I need to replace the crank pulley. It's delaminating. Anybody know where I can find a diagram of engine parts?
Here's a picture.

Do you know which one is the crank pulley (harmonic balancer) and idler pulley?

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Every one in a while when i hit a puddle the battery light will go on and PS will momentarily go out. Its due to the belt getting splashed and slipping. The PS and alternator are both run off the belt so I am sure your issue is somewhere in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts