Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes my accent cranks once then pauses briefly and then it'll fire up. Other times i'll hear normal starter noise for 2 or 3 seconds and it starts up fine. I'm just wondering if this is a sign of a upcoming problem. Could a weak battery or dieing starter cause this problem.
Basically im hearing crank... pause... fire up. instead of a few cranks and then normal firing im used to.
Another bug im having is a very faint whining or bearing noise that sounds like its ac related. After changing the timing belt this came up. If i turn on the ac i get an evening weirder and more alarming clunky sound. I think i either didn't tighten the tensioner enough or maybe too much? I'm almost positive its all ac related since the car sounds really funny when i run with ac now. No problems before belt swap.
Any help is greatly appreciated sorry for the few threads i've made over the past few days.

·
22,793 Posts
When was the last time you replaced your battery? Are the cable clamps on the terminals cleaned and tightened? Battery posts clean? Also, consider the ground straps that lead to the fender wells. Underneath those grounding lugs can become corroded. Consider removing the bolt securing the lug to the fender sand clean both areas before reattaching. There may be another grounding strap on the other side.

These are the least expensive PM's you can do. Just a little time and elbow grease. Often it helps and you can achieve good results.

If it continues, maybe someone else can chime in and address potential starter symptoms.

Hard to evaluate noise via the INTERNET. If you can get an assist, lift the hood and have someone mimic your steps while you listen for the source of the sound.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Battery has to be pretty old. Car was bought about a month ago for 1800 bucks. Needed a new coil pack and spark plugs (PO did that) tbelt, drive belts, air filters, etc all replaced brakes done all around(I did these). I'll check all the grounds. It doesn't have problems its never not started just sometimes feels like it hesitates while cranking. Which leads me to think starter or battery? I can hear the fuel pump prime up no problems. how do you check injectors?

Right now ill focus checking grounds and stuff. I know im gonna need a passenger cv axle and radiator (off topic) but those are both leaking if a new starter is really cheap i could always drop one on with that order.

Doubt i have any air leaks but i'll probably be dropping the stock intake system for a cold air intake or ram intake got a crap ton of aluminum 2 inch piping laying around so i could easily mock up a CAI my rubber boot that leads to the intake plenum from the airbox is definitely looking aged. Twenty bucks gets me a nice ram setup for an accent online.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
agree with checking terminals, etc. especially on the starter. pull that battery out and get it tested before buying a new one. many stores will do this for you on the spot. just take a 10mm wrench with you and pull it in the lot like a good shade tree mechanic :)

the starters on these cars don't commonly die before the car, so hold off on that. a refurb one cost me around $140 here in canuck land. maybe slightly less, can't remember. interesting that starter was fine in my case...managed to trash the threads on the hole for one of the mount bolts. tap couldn't save it, had no helicoils. was just easier to have the parts store drive out a new one for me.

with the cheap CAI, do note that the filters are often crap...which is why they are cheap. they'll work just fine for performance, but you can start sucking in too much dirt. some will buy that kit, trash the filter and get something like a K&N cone filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll probably just wait for a while on the intake. 99% Of the time it starts and doesn't sound off at all. I'll definitely get my battery looked at and clean my terminals up they're pretty bad. The previous owner did the coil and plugs right before selling it to me. So spark should be fine. Eventually air will be redone with gasket and CAI but I'll do as you said and just get a nice lifetime filter. Would it be smart to sometime do the fuel injectors? On another note is there any other stuff I should look at doing? Tranny on the car is automatic wish it was a stick model.. which are known as more durable? The guy got a reman tranny less then 50k ago but my top/bottom end have 233k on them. any work i can do for easy power gains that probably just have been neglected? I'm looking at a spectra prem radiator is that a decent option? My back driverside strut sometimes clunks on speed bumps and hard roads is there any coilover/struts i should consider buying to fix the springy ride?

Sorry for all those questions just wondering on what i should do if anything to make the car perform and feel better.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
struts are a good one to do, if you're getting the rattling from them they're gone. oil leaks out after a while and the struts do nothing.

the manual trans is known to be very reliable - but that is not to say there won't be issues. i had a bearing in mine go at about 160k kms. the clutch bearings are utter crap. the auto trans, is definitely a problem after a lot of kms. usually seems to go at the 200-250k km mark.

so...not sure if you're after just maintaining the car or looking for modifications?? you mention the injectors and the rad. not sure if a spectra rad is a performance part, but a performance rad is not intended to increase power - its intended to handle the extra heat produced by some of the more serious mods to increase power. think turbochargers. same idea for injectors.

if you're asking about cleaning them out, it couldn't hurt. my opinion is skip the junk you toss in the gas tank. that cleaner is already in fuel and you have no idea how that will affect chemistry of the entire fuel system and car. does that stuff rot seals out? no idea here, nor does anyone else. my thought is toss them into an ultrasonic cleaning bath if you can get access to one, or use an air compressor to set up a reverse flow cleaning. i'd use pure cleaner there believe it or not...and then replace the o-rings. that chemical can be easily flushed out before dropping back into the car.

as for stuff that may have been neglected, plugs/wires is a good place to start. air filter, if its clogged at all. just hold it up to a light. timing belt is a must if never been done, if it breaks you'll trash the engine. i recommend replacing the idler/tensioner pullies while you're there as well as the water pump. good time to flush out the coolant too.

synthetic oil is nice and has many benefits, but don't expect any noticeable power increase. cleaning out the throttle body with an old toothbrush and a can of TB cleaner is a fun little job.

beyond that...not a lot you can do without mods really. check for sticking brake calipers, flush brake fluid if its getting bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done brakes front and back, timing belt, pcv valve, valve cover gasket, plugs, coil pack, and air filter. PO did the oil change right before selling me the car. Not really doing the radiator as a performance thing just doing it because my stock radiator is going out at 233k it has moisture seepings from the seams on the plastic tank. I'm also going to do the gear box oil soon my tranny has 50k on it rebuilt by trans king in late 2012. Ps fluid and brake fluid will get done soon. Cv axle is ripping on passenger side and that'll get done at the same time i flush the tranny.

Does driving with overdrive off around town and only using it for freeway driving prolong the trans life?
What brand struts should i get for this car? Should the springs come out at the same time?

Do you think 1800 was too high for the accent at 233k motor/ 50k auto tran?
interior is nice other then a few plastic scuffs. exterior has some light scratches on a most panels and 2 or 3 small dings.
Might try and get my brother an accent too since they're easy to work on and cheap. Want to make sure i get the next one for the right price.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i think you're doing just fine. maybe overkill with the coils, but hey thats my opinion. i replace stuff when it breaks.

i doubt that keeping overdrive off would affect the life of the trans since its a bearing issue that is common (i think)....but hard to say.

i've used KYB struts in the past and been very impressed. OEM replacement, good price and i find they perform a bit better. i believe they are nitrogen filled instead of oil. at least some of their struts are.

i don't think you did too bad for price. the engines in these cars are pretty rock solid. its the trans that is the issue, or clutches if you have a manual. that trans is still young with that few miles on it.

that being said, i would try to argue the next one down:) not sure what they go for where you are, but i have seen accents for $500-1000 here in canuck land. not sure how the prices compare though, ours are rusted out thanks to the salty roads.

and you're right, these cars are dead easy to work on :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts