Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 GLS, with only 30k km on it.. But it has an issue. After it rains - next day even, the car starts fine and drives ok unless you make a LEFT turn, then it stutters but stays alive if you're already at speed and if youre turning left from a stop, it dies halfway through the turn. I've already brought it to hyundai and they couldnt recreate the problem so they didn't find (or look) for anything. It happened again twice this week and it's clearly dangerous to be stalling mid turn in live lanes of traffic.

Anybody else have this issue? Anyone have any insight?

Thanks guys,
Zak

·
Registered
862 Posts
has it been modified in any way... particularly electrically?
Cold air intake altered or have a leak where moisture can infiltrate intake? Check inside the filter air box for water.
Is the plastic splash shield under the engine in place per the original install?

sounds like some kind of electrical glitch possibly, where a possible moisture or grounding situation cutting the ignition or something. But maybe could be moisture getting into the air intake somehow, you turn left and the the moisture heads for the engine intake. I don't know... just brainstorming here.

>>>> That is a strange one.... after a rain and left turns only a stutter.

hope you get it figured out.

Reactions: flemmons

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow that's a weird one. Only after rain and only during left turns? Makes it seems like maybe the drivers side wheel is kicking up water into the engine bay and causing an electric short somewhere? Or a vacuum hose is hooked on something when you turn left? Just a shot in the dark....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does the engine burn much oil? Do you keep the level at the full mark? There are numerous such stalling complaints for the Elantra, to which there is no known cause or cure.

-Car Stall problem of the 2013 Hyundai Elantra 3

Failure Date: 06/15/2016

On numerous occasions, my car would stall out during left turns ( middle of intersections) and while accelerating on an entrance ramp. There were no warning lights prior to stalling. I took it in for service/ diagnostics. I was told it is possible for the Elantra to suck up to 1qt of oil per 1000 miles! due to the mechanics of the car, it could stall out while turning if low on oil. I was due for my regular oil change and it was completed during this service at which time they stated I was 2 qts low !! it was suggested that I come in every 2000 miles to have it checked. My concern is -without warning lights, do I have to stall in the middle of an intersection to let me know my oil is low ????."

Hyundai Elantra Car Stall Problems - part 1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thats interesting. I just had the oil changed a few weeks ago and I assume the level was ok. This only happens the day after it rains (it might when its raining but I havn't noticed it). And it only happens with a left turn. I would say that I notice the car running a *tad* rough before the left turn... like when I pulled out and made 2 rights it didnt feel as smooth.

I brought it into dealer this morning and was met with some skepticism.. 'have you had an accident', 'well we cant just pull everything apart to find it'. etc. I said I've already been in for this before, its not safe, kids in the car dying in live lanes, etc. I told him it's fine today you wont experience it but I expect some results, etc. So he said he will try and recreate the problem by spraying the engine bay down. I hope he is able to figure something out but this issue doesnt throw any codes, no lights, so evenif he does see it they still have to put the time in to find it.

I'll keep everyone posted and thanks for the info!!

Zak

·
Registered
190 Posts
How much mileage on your spark plugs? Have you checked and cleaned your battery connections and grounding points on chassis and engine? Have you cleaned your throttle body?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much mileage on your spark plugs? Have you checked and cleaned your battery connections and grounding points on chassis and engine? Have you cleaned your throttle body?
Car was new last year...30,000km and I havnt cleaned the throttle body but everything looks good visually. Im pretty good with doing all my own maintenance, etc but its under warranty I want them to be the ones to find the issue. I hope it doesnt come down to me having to do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another update.. Hyundai kept the car for 2 days and said they cleaned the engine ground points but could not recreate the problem. Fast forward to yesterday, my wife gets in her car (raining for last 2 days, very humid and cool out) and sure enough it stalls while she is in live traffic. So we take it to dealer and leave it last night.

This morning they say they cant recreate the issue, and a hyundai engineer will be in tomorrow to look at.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this issue twice in the last 10 days. I have also had an issue 6 months after getting the brand new car where it would leave me sitting after I stopped (at a red light or stop sign) - no power. I had it towed twice to the dealership and got the same story "we can't recreate the problem. Keep driving it and when it happens again, bring it back in." "Miraculously", on the third trip back to the dealer when I inquired about the lemon law, "a software update just came through that will fix this very issue." It has fixed it (thus far), but now I'm starting to have this issue of dying when I make a left turn. My car is not even 3 years old and doesn't even have 20,000 miles on it and I am ready to get rid of it. I'm going to take this new issue to the dealer and see what I can find out. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Is it only after it rains that this issue occurs? Do you spot water anywhere underneath the hood after it rains and while the symptoms persist?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had an issue like this years ago with my 2003 Tiburon. It ended up being the spark plugs. You are under warranty so push that envelope with the dealer as much as possible. Some dealers will delay fixing the issue and play the "We can't find any problems" card until your warranty is up. Then if you return they will play your wallet like a violin and fix the issue thousands of $$$ later. Bring it to other dealers if you can. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone get anywhere with this issue. My wife’s 2012 Elantra is starting to do the same thing. When making a left hand turn the car will make a clicking sound, rpms will increase as thought the clutch is no longer engaged in the transmission, and then it will catch resulting in the car shutting down. This only occurs with left hand turns and does not happen while driving straight or turning right. The only stored code is steering angle sensor failure. I have changed CV axles, steering coupler, check transmission fluid levels, verified engine oil level, changed spark plugs, replaced all (4) coil packs, and cleaned throttle body. I am about to order a brand new steering column to fix the steering angle sensor failure because that is really this last thing I can think of. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Any help is much appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts