Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes after driving it a little harder I get out and notice this smell coming from rear wheels. It smells almost like burnt rubber. The breaks are hot but not burning hot. The wheels are hardly warm. The tires are also not smoking.
Does anybody else notice this? It's hard to believe that this smell is coming from the tires. I would blame the breaks but I get nothing from the front breaks and they supposed to work harder.
What can this be?

Also it was happening since the car was new. It's 12 and got a little over 40k on it now.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Look at the back of the car at your exhaust tips, I've noticed when pouncing on the gas and really getting after it, there is a lot of black soot all over the tips and sometimes the back of the bumper as well, maybe that is what you are smelling, with my car being white, I notice it but people with darker cars might not, just a suggestion

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Sometimes after driving it a little harder I get out and notice this smell coming from rear wheels. It smells almost like burnt rubber. The breaks are hot but not burning hot. The wheels are hardly warm. The tires are also not smoking.
Does anybody else notice this? It's hard to believe that this smell is coming from the tires. I would blame the breaks but I get nothing from the front breaks and they supposed to work harder.
What can this be?

Also it was happening since the car was new. It's 12 and got a little over 40k on it now.
Our cars have drum-in-hat rotors for the parking brake. I would bet that your parking brake is still applied while you are driving, rubbing on the park brake pads and causing the smell.

Try applying the parking brake, the releasing it. It if seems stiff, I would try to lubricate the cable and mechanisms on the rear brake calipers. If that does not help with the issue, you will need to adjust the cable tension.

With 40K on the car, it should be covered under warranty. I would be sure to drive it normally before dropping it off so the service people can get a whiff of the smell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts