Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New to the forum. So I was just testing around the headlight area thinking of possible led attachments. I notice something weird. The red wire on the 3 pin connector on my accent where the stock headlights connect to which says ground has 12v!!! The other two that are green and white has no power. Even when I turn on my car. What is going on here?? Is this a disaster waiting to happen? Bad connector? Bad ground? I tested it with a circuit tester. And tester is working fine. Any help will help. Thanks guys. Oh. It's a 2012 accent SE.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
you're thinking of A/C systems where this is DC. the 'ground' is the frame of the car and that's what the negative terminal of your battery is connected to. your entire frame is a negative terminal. it's quite normal and nothing to be concerned with.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hyundai switches the power for the high/low beams by moving the ground connection @ the multi switch. What you're finding is the way it was designed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what you Guys are saying or rather what I'm understanding is that it is completely normal for the red wire labelled ground to have 12v. And mind you, this power is constant even with the car turned off. And so if I wanted an led to come on with my low beams i would connect the positive to the red "ground" wire and the negative to the low beam wire?
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The red wire is for the low beam. Each low beam has it's own fuse/power source, but they are connected together. When you measure the disconnected red wire from the left headlight, you're seeing the 12 Volts that's applied to the right headlight.. The diagram below makes it easier to understand..

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so the red is low beam and what is ground then? where can i connect the ground wire of the LED? i tried connecting to the chasis, that didnt work. i but when i connect it to the WHITE wire it works fine with low beam. so is white wire the ground? if so why is the connector labelled as so?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
There is no direct path to ground when the headlights are off.. The battery is wired through a fuse to one side of the high and low beam bulbs. The other side of the high and low beam bulbs go to the headlight switch.

The headlight switch connects the desired bulbs to ground thereby completing the circuit and making them light up. When the headlights are off, there is no ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not working out for me. My battery keeps on dying the way I wired it. Can someone help me out on the wiring. The hid wires come in 2s. The live and the ground. Where do I connect these wires to?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts