Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an '07 Santa Fe Limited last week and noticed the passenger headlight seemed to work much better than the drivers side one. Looking at the front of the truck, there is no perceivable difference, but when I pull up to my garage ( flat surface facing garage straight on ), I get the attached light beams.

The passenger light seems noticeably brighter and with a more elongated oval in good left to right coverage. The drivers side seems to have a light pattern like a really skinny 0 with and up and down type pattern.

Could it be that the drivers side bulb is installed incorrectly, or is it simply likely one of the bulbs burnt out and was replaced with a different 'style' bulb?

ht tp://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss156/droseskip/IMG-20130909-00052_zps7c940e40.jpg

·
Registered
538 Posts
I can't open your attachment, probably just me. From your description it does sound as if the bulb has been installed incorrectly. If it's a H4 bulb and someone was very careless they can be installed 120 Degrees (1/3 turn) out of correct position.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would think it's two different lamps but Just swap them to see if it's the housing or the bulb that is responsible for the difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ya, I've only been a member for 6 days, so the system won't let me post the link properly. I put a space between the http's. The picture is with the drivers side headlight adjusted as high as I can make it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

I cant stand sideways pictures..

Your light bulb is installed incorrectly... common issue for the home DIY or other that not aware that bulb fits socket in specific manner..

REMOVE the lamp housing to table top and correct it,, you can see and better with lamp out in open,, set bulb in socket correctly, secure it with retainer, connect plug and cap, put lamp back into car. DONT forget to plug the works in before finish fitting lamp to body.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant stand sideways pictures..

Your light bulb is installed incorrectly... common issue for the home DIY or other that not aware that bulb fits socket in specific manner..

REMOVE the lamp housing to table top and correct it,, you can see and better with lamp out in open,, set bulb in socket correctly, secure it with retainer, connect plug and cap, put lamp back into car. DONT forget to plug the works in before finish fitting lamp to body.
Thank you very much for posting the picture and your information.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
HEY!!! You rotated the pic and it not sideway anymore..

Get the bulb fitted to socket correctly yet ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have big hands and learned the hard way with scraped knuckles that I can't change out a bulb with the headlight pod on the vehicle. I always remove the pod, and as there are only three bolts, it is a pretty simple job. I think I use a 10.5 mm socket or maybe 11mm, not sure which. I just leave it hooked up to the socket extension.

I recognize the light pattern. When the bulb is not seated, it doesn't align with the projector beam. I actually did that myself the first couple of times replacing the low beam bulb.

Here is how I do it now.

I get my bulb and open it up taking care not to touch the outer lens with anything! Then I place an old towel on the work bench so I don't scratch up the pod. I unbolt the pod, push down on the bumper cover and pull out the pod about six inches. Unplug the harnesses. One goes to the headlights, the other to the side lights or parking, not sure.

Place the pod face down, unscrew the cap on the back, pull off the harness, and push down the wire holder to release the bulb. It is at this point someone made a mistake. The bulb must be completely reseated on the pod before hooking up the wire holder. That is really easy to do if you should try to replace the bulb in situ. Also, you tend to rub the outside of the bulb against dirt and grease that is naturally under the hood when replacing it.

Get the fresh bulb and repeat the process. You will be able to replace the bulb without touching the sides of the pod, and you will be able to see that the bulb is properly seated. There will be no doubt.

Here is the good part! From removal of the pod to its replacement is no more than five minutes with no skinned knuckles! I do the same thing on my 2010 Sonata and my son's 2003 Sonata.

Daniel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your helpful advice, it is very appreciated! I haven't had chance to do the fix yet as it's been raining outside at that garage you see in the pic is full of crap so I can't get it inside lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a break in the rain tonight so went out to rotate the bulb. Getting the headlight itself was not as easy as advertised. The bolts/nut were easy enough but it was a fight to get it out after I unplugged the wires. TIGHT!!

But alas I got it out and you were right, it's painfully obvious how the bulb should sit when you can look directly into the back of the headlight. Got it seated properly and it made all the difference. I'm golden! Thank you all for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts