Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the ticking noise that is normal for our engines? Well, below 25 degrees F, it is the most worst noise ever. It sounds like the valve train is going to explode. Anyone else experienced this? Just keep in mind I've driven many cars. The ticking noise shouldn't be outrageously loud.

But my main problem that is worrying me is this WHOMP-WHOMP-WHOMP noise. The higher the RPM the faster the noise. Doesn't matter if the car is moving or not and I know it's coming from the engine. I hope it's not related to the loud ticking. Anyone have any idea? It only happens for approximately 5 minutes. After that, there's no WHOMP sound and the ticking goes back to normal sound levels.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do you happen to have a video of it or can you record it with a cell phone/etc.? It's been colder than that here recently and I'm driving a 2013 Elantra 6MT too, but haven't had anything other than the "hyundai" startup noise that goes away almost instantly.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you happen to have a video of it or can you record it with a cell phone/etc.? It's been colder than that here recently and I'm driving a 2013 Elantra 6MT too, but haven't had anything other than the "hyundai" startup noise that goes away almost instantly.

I think I'm going to have to because it's hard to explain.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It wouldn't hurt and that way if you take it to the dealer, you can play them the video too (since your engine will likely be warmed up by the time you get there and might not make the same noise!)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Other than the supposed "normal" chain rattle on first start, I am wondering if it is the variable intake moving around that is causing the noise.

I would also get a video made, things seem to "work normal" at the stealers all to often, especially when your not right there with them when they crank it up.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
My car does not seem to be any louder when cold. Only synthetic oil for me, not sure if it makes a difference but worth a try if you are using the regular stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
639 Posts
We just had our coldest nights of the year with temps in the high teens, and no strange noises here. Our Elantra gets 10/30 conventional oil.

·
22,788 Posts
A little engine WHOMP-WHOMP-WHOMP is perfectly normal... not :)

I'd get it checked asap.
Maybe it's morphing into a Blackhawk chopper. This whomp-whomp-whomp could be the beginning stages. ;)

Or a critter laying under there for warmth and was awakened by your 1,200 RPM alarm clock. Any signs of chum laying around the driveway? :grin:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Or a critter laying under there for warmth and was awakened by your 1,200 RPM alarm clock. Any signs of chum laying around the driveway? :grin:
Now that brings back memories of growing up with a lot of farm cats around, and my father's Oldsmobile with the spacious radiator fan shroud. You learned the hard way to always bang on the hood before starting the car. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts