Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand new 2018 sonata SEL last week and have only put 100 miles on it. The only frusterating thing is when I am driving In standard drive mode I will let off the gas to take a turn or what now and when I go to press the gas pedal again there is this slight hesitation/low knocking sound for a second until I press the gas more then it goes away. It's almost as if it's in too high a gear and is not downshifting accordingly. It does not do this in sport mode. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
398 Posts
Suggestion:
when it happens, push the shifter to the left into the manual mode and see what gear is indicated on the dash. That will tell you if the trans isn't downshifting.

Congratulations on the new ride. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours (or most of us do!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its weird it only does it when i lightly step on the gas pedal. If I really push it down it kicks in and gives me good accelleration. I called the service department and the guy told me that the car has a million sensors and if there was something wrong it would pop up. Maybe I have to just get used to it. As I said it only does it between 30-40 MPH. Never in sport mode. Its almost like its in too high of a gear to support the RPM's. Maybe i will ask to reset the adaptive learning. The car had 20 miles on it a week ago when I purchased it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Give it some time to learn your driving habits. The adaptive learning in these cars is impressive. If I let my wife drive my car for just a few days it will feel very different when I get back in it. Mostly, the shift points will be much lower. After a few days it will slowly go back to higher shift points.

I wouldn't worry over any driving "anomalies" (unless a warning light illuminates) until you have more miles on the car, like 2500 or so. All three of our Hyundai, '14 Elantra GT w/ 2.0L GDI, '15 Sonata Sport w/ 2.4L GDI, and '16 Elantra SE w/ 1.8L MPI engines have shown an increase in fuel economy, smoother shifts, and generally better drive-ability after 2500 miles. I have often wondered if the ECM software was de-tuned during an undocumented break in period.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After doing more research I think what I am experiencing is a "Delayed Downshift". I guess I will give it more time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts