Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car is a almost 2 year old 2012 Sonata Turbo with just under 11k miles. I was cleaning my engine bay after a long roadtrip ~1k miles or so and noticed that the passenger side of the engine casing had a web of lines on the surface of the engine casting, near the engine mount.

This car has not been in any collisions, scrapes, etc and still looks factory new inside and out. No modifications whatsoever have been done to the vehicle.

I can feel unevenness on the surface of metal running my finger over the area. Some of the lines run directly into the area where the bolts are securing the engine to the mount.

My question is, are these signs of the engine casting beginning to fail? Anyone think these are indeed cracks in the metal or just surface imperfections left over from the casting process? Anyone else notice anything similar on their engines?

·
Registered
115 Posts
That is totally normal, working in the shop that builds these it's nothing new, **** you should check out your engine block!!! Some spots on that thing look like a cracked egg. But that's the way Nemak sends them to us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone. Its reassuring to know that its a normal occurrence. I'm just a bit paranoid as I've been dealing with several other issues in the meantime (turbo not working at cold start / sunroof creaking / cracked headlamp).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts