Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I am trying to install the WeatherTech AVM Floor Mats in my Elantra GT Sport. For retention (so they don't slide forward), they come with auger type retention hooks.

The problem is that the GT retention hooks that hold down the carpet are too short to add in the floor mats. The top of the retention hooks are flush with the carpet. And, the WT retention auger hooks won't got into the carpet (maybe I need to poke a hole first?). But the points in the WT floor mats for the retention hooks to poke through are where the existing GT hooks are, so using the WT auger retention hooks seem not possible. Any solution? I guess this would hold for any WT mats? I don't want to remove the carpets, if possible.

Any ideas? Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Greetings,

In response to my questions to WeatherTech, this is what they said:
"You would need to remove the existing Hyundai mats.
Our Auger hooks should be able to screw into the carpet and then our mat would slide over the hook."

So my question is, to those who have installed WeatherTech Floor Liners, did you remove your carpets and used the existing GT retention hooks?

I haven't tried too hard to screw the auger retention hooks into the carpet because I think I'd have to poke a hole in the carpet to get it started.

Seems like I will have to remove the carpets and purchase the WT Floor Liner to get better coverage than the cheaper WT AVM Floor Mats I already have????
Will the WT Floor Liners fit onto the existing GT retention hooks????

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the same mats, and had the same issue. As they said, their instructions specifically say not to put them over other mats. I don't know if replacing the GT hooks with the WT hooks would work. The WT hooks seem like they might be long enough for both layers. That was something I was going to try when I had time. But for now, the spiky backs of the WT mats grip well and the mats don't move at all, so I haven't actually done it yet and may not. They are sitting on top of the OEM mats. (Yes I know it's a risk, but I never secured the mats in my other two cars either, honestly.)

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
We have the digital fit ones all the way around and they fit great. Only complaint for this set is that the dirt doesnt seem to come off as easy as the older ones that we have.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have the digital fit ones all the way around and they fit great. Only complaint for this set is that the dirt doesnt seem to come off as easy as the older ones that we have.
============================
Did you have to remove the OEM carpets to secure the WT Floor Liner (digital fit) to the GT's retention hooks (if you did use them). My cheaper WD AVM mats keep sliding forward. As Minsie said, maybe the WT Floor Liners (digital fit) will grip better so I don't need the retention hooks. I'd like not to have to remove the carpets. But I'd like to have them more secure with retention hooks.

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think all WT products are designed to be used alone, not on top of OEM mats. It's possible that someone sells longer hooks, but I think you might have to abandon the idea of keeping the carpeted mats in place if you want to secure with the WT or GT hardware. Maybe remove the carpet only on the driver's side? Let us know if you figure out a solution. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think all WT products are designed to be used alone, not on top of OEM mats. It's possible that someone sells longer hooks, but I think you might have to abandon the idea of keeping the carpeted mats in place if you want to secure with the WT or GT hardware. Maybe remove the carpet only on the driver's side? Let us know if you figure out a solution. :)
==================================================
Greetings,
Just got a reply from Hyundaishop.com concerning the 'mats':

"The term “mats” also includes the carpeted style. There cannot be anything under the WeatherTech mats when installed."

I'll have to see whenever I decided to spend $109 for the front WT Liners.
But you have a good idea for only removing the driver's side carpets. I don't think there is a way to replace the GT's OEM hooks for taller hooks.

Thanks...Gary

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Did you have to remove the OEM carpets to secure the WT Floor Liner (digital fit) to the GT's retention hooks (if you did use them). My cheaper WD AVM mats keep sliding forward. As Minsie said, maybe the WT Floor Liners (digital fit) will grip better so I don't need the retention hooks. I'd like not to have to remove the carpets. But I'd like to have them more secure with retention hooks.

Gary
Yes you must remove any OEM mat or anything under the new liner. It is dangerous to stack mats especially Weathertech liners. Seeing how cars are traded in at the dealer I work at I do not understand the thought process that more mats = more protection. Weathertech liners have a huge lip on them to prevent anything from getting outside the liner. They still use the OEM hooks for a secure fit and do not move around at all.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Been using weather tech liners for several years in multiple cars. They stay in place very well (whether using the hooks or not), and only complaint is the material can be a little slippery when wet... and of course wet conditions is one of the main reasons for buying WT in the first place.

I understand that making them slick makes for easier cleaning, but would be better if the WT liner's had a slightly rougher surface.

That said... I had never heard of anyone putting mats UNDER them, and can't see what that would accomplish. I DO ---even though WT strongly recommends against it---place a mat on top of the WT's in order to not have that slipping sensation.

Ironically... the reason WT says not to put mats on top of the liners is because of the safety hazard if they slip. But what's the difference if you're foot is slipping on the liner already?

It IS important to test, first, though. Have found through trial and error that the carpeted mats do not stay in place very well at all, so is best to go with rubber. Since my car is brand new, I put a rubber mat on top of the WT and the carpeted Elantra mat that came with the car on top of it, and it is surprisingly secure. But you have to test, and when the car gets older, I'll probably do away with the carpeted mats. And some rubber mats slide a lot anyway, some stay put very well.

And even though WT will not tell you it's ok, their mats on top of their liners stay in place pretty decently, since they are custom shaped for your car, so they can't move very far once they're in place.

Would be so much better of WT liner surface wasn't so smoothe, but it is.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Been using weather tech liners for several years in multiple cars. They stay in place very well (whether using the hooks or not), and only complaint is the material can be a little slippery when wet... and of course wet conditions is one of the main reasons for buying WT in the first place.

I understand that making them slick makes for easier cleaning, but would be better if the WT liner's had a slightly rougher surface.

That said... I had never heard of anyone putting mats UNDER them, and can't see what that would accomplish. I DO ---even though WT strongly recommends against it---place a mat on top of the WT's in order to not have that slipping sensation.

Ironically... the reason WT says not to put mats on top of the liners is because of the safety hazard if they slip. But what's the difference if you're foot is slipping on the liner already?

It IS important to test, first, though. Have found through trial and error that the carpeted mats do not stay in place very well at all, so is best to go with rubber. Since my car is brand new, I put a rubber mat on top of the WT and the carpeted Elantra mat that came with the car on top of it, and it is surprisingly secure. But you have to test, and when the car gets older, I'll probably do away with the carpeted mats. And some rubber mats slide a lot anyway, some stay put very well.

And even though WT will not tell you it's ok, their mats on top of their liners stay in place pretty decently, since they are custom shaped for your car, so they can't move very far once they're in place.

Would be so much better of WT liner surface wasn't so smoothe, but it is.
Probably depends on what shows type you wear but I dont find them slippery. I will say the material has changed slightly from my cars 2013/2014 Weathertech mats to our 2018's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes you must remove any OEM mat or anything under the new liner. It is dangerous to stack mats especially Weathertech liners.
Greetings,
What is causing confusion is that the 'WT AVM' mats come with 'auger retention hooks' that are to be screwed into the OEM carpets. So one might think that the 'WT FloorLiners' can be installed in the same way, on top of the carpets. But no, I see now that they say you are to remove any 'mat', including the carpets (for the 'FloorLiners') and use the OEM hooks. Why are they including the auger hooks with the AVM mats if you are supposed to remove the carpets????

And, of course, the WT site for the AVM mat does not address any of these questions. Anyway, I think the questions have been resolved.
But I just looked at the WT instructions again and it shows the 'auger hooks' being used for the 'All-Weather Floor Mats' and the 'FloorLiner'. duh...

Thanks... Gary

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greetings,
Well, I took a closer look at the GT's OEM retention hooks. They are 13 1/4 inches apart. However, the spots where the retention hooks are to come through the WT AVM mats are only 11 inches apart. So even if I removed the GT's carpet to try to use the GT's retention hooks, the WT AVM mats could not even attached to them.

So, I wonder if the holes in the WT's FloorLiners will match up with the OEM GT's retention hooks. Does anyone have a measurement for the WT's FloorLiners holes for the retention hooks??? Are they 13 1/4 inches apart to match the GT's retention hooks???

Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts