Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Sonata 2.4L GL A/T, 2007 Tucson 2.0L
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one point I assumed the lighting was poor because the lights were clouded over and got them serviced at the dealer.
They are definitely no longer cloudy but the light is still pretty weak. When I use the headlights I can barely see more then a couple feet ahead of me.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Original bulbs? Get some higher performance halogen or LED.

Good site for reviews:

I've had good results with Bosch Gigalight Plus halogen and Katana LED.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Original bulbs? Get some higher performance halogen or LED.

Good site for reviews:

I've had good results with Bosch Gigalight Plus halogen and Katana LED.
If i get the halogen/led you mentioned will i need to do any wiring changes, or is it as simple as swapping the old with the new?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
The halogen is just a bulb swap, H7 apparently for your Sonata.

For LED you need bulbs and adapters (no wiring change):

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I guess I don't need other headlights. I went to remove the exisiting bulbs to check wattage and noticed they were falling out of the housing due to improper install.

After getting them put in right, the output is much better.

·
Registered
721 Posts
After getting them put in right, the output is much better.
That's good that you checked that!
They are definitely no longer cloudy but the light is still pretty weak.
Get new headlights if you can. I have polished the old ones for years, and was still not having enough light. My daughter broke one of the headlights and I had to buy a replacement one - wow, what difference it made!
Got a cheap replacement one from CarID (not OEM):
2000 Hyundai Sonata Factory Replacement Headlights - CARiD.com

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some more time, I came to the conclusion the bulbs I had actually were trash. I ended up getting some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, but with $60 outta my wallet, I'm still not impressed.

The intensity of light seems to more or less be the same. The only difference I see is that the light extends out a little further.

Oddly enough, the light from the fog lights illuminate better than the headlights. The only downside is they only illuminate a few feet out. If I could find a headlight that illuminates similar to the level of the fog lights with the range of the Ultras, that'd be awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts