Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - my wifes 2007 Volvo S40 has pending engine failure (low compression in #4, very bad blow by. We weren't planning on picking up a new car, but the Tuscon is very attractive from features, warranty, and price.

So here I am! We're literally going to the dealership tomorrow to look at the cars to see if she likes them. I like the idea of a 1.6T w/ DCT, but I have read HORROR stories on here. Then, I just read that there's recalls on the 2.0L having debris from manufacturing inside.

Sigh.

What should I consider? We're aiming at an AWD model.

Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmm. I have owned a 2017 SE 2.0L/6-speed Auto for a month now. I didn't want a turbo since I plan on keeping the vehicle for ten years and doing my own work after the warranty expires.

For most of my driving, it's fine. Freeway 50-70 is noticeably different than my recently sold 1994 Impala SS (obviously), but it's also different from my recently sold 1995 Maxima SE. The Max never felt like I was pushed on the pedal for no reason. Accel is not bad, just not what I have been accustomed to for 20 years.

That said, I actually drove both engines before deciding. The 1.6 does have more pep, but I did not like the way the throttle worked. It just always felt off. And not enough extra pep to make me want to pay more for it.

So, as to the rest of the car, I wanted to keep my cost down. I only added the Popular Equipment Package. I didn't want leather nor AWD. However, I am starting to wish I had gotten the upgraded stereo with Apple CarPlay instead of just a Bluetooth, liftgate remote open, heated seats and remote start.

·
Registered
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T DCT
222 Posts
Welcome to the mad house... I mean forum.

If your wife is used to driving a car with a conventional automatic "slush box" with a torque converter, the DCT may not be the best choice. Drive both in city and freeway.

A DCT is not for everyone; it helps to have experience operating a manual transmission. After the updates, my DCT works fine.

Let us know your impression of both drive trains.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey all - my wifes 2007 Volvo S40 has pending engine failure (low compression in #4, very bad blow by. We weren't planning on picking up a new car, but the Tuscon is very attractive from features, warranty, and price.

So here I am! We're literally going to the dealership tomorrow to look at the cars to see if she likes them. I like the idea of a 1.6T w/ DCT, but I have read HORROR stories on here. Then, I just read that there's recalls on the 2.0L having debris from manufacturing inside.

Sigh.

What should I consider? We're aiming at an AWD model.

Thanks!
Can you point me where you read that for the Tucson? Everything I've read specifies other models built 2011-2014

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a 2017 AWD Tucson 1.6T DCT since October. No problems. Chose the turbo because it is much more fun to drive. Passing acceleration from 50-70 leaves the regular 2.0 in the dust.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Too bad you cant wait until February when this will be available

New 2.4-liter GDI 4-cylinder engine with 6-speed SHIFTRONIC® automatic transmission (standard on Sport with production starting in February 2018)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Too bad you cant wait until February when this will be available

New 2.4-liter GDI 4-cylinder engine with 6-speed SHIFTRONIC® automatic transmission (standard on Sport with production starting in February 2018)
I guess the complaints of the DCT and lack of power from the 2.0, they decided to bring the 2.4L over from the sister KIA Sportage, speaking of which..... If you wanted that combo without waiting for february, you can just get the KIA now. However, I think the Tucson is a better looking car.

Also, on relatively flat ground, you won't notice much of a difference from the turbo to the NA engine, but if you have lost of long hills to climb on your commute, the turbo way way better. I can cruise up a very steep hill at high gear at around 2000rpm with no problems. That's torque is amazing. However, in my previous cars, they would have to kick down a gear or two, and scream at 4000+rpm to maintain speed up the hill.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That is exactly what I did I traded my 2013 Santa Fa in for a 2018 Kia Sportage SX turbo which has a 6 speed transmission.
My wife wanted a Tuscon but not with the DCT trans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts