Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from the Philadelphia area, in case any of you are familiar with any places around there.

Anyways, I don't feel comfortable doing it myself (and I don't have much time to spare anyways), so I'm looking around to find a place that will wax and clay my car for me. I just bought it (2011 Hyundai Sonata), and I didn't get any type of paint protection from the dealer.

Here are the three places I'm looking at. My goals are (a) a very wet, shiny look and (B) long-lasting protection.

1. http://www.thedetailshoponline.com/index_files/Page432.htm
2. http://www.parkandpolish.com/auto_detailing_service.htm

The third option is a place that says that they can clay and wax it for $35. Now, considering that the first option offers the same thing for $160, what am I missing here...?

I'm leaning toward the second option, with the carnauba paste wax, because it sounds like what I'm looking for. I've heard that carnauba is the best type of wax to use to get that "wet, shiny" look, but I also heard it's not that durable. Do you guys have any suggestions about possibly using a Meguiar's synthetic wax or something first before getting a carnauba wax? Would these detailing places even be willing to do that for me?

As you can see, I don't have much experience with any of this stuff. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (lazy @ Jun 9 2010, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331399
I'm from the Philadelphia area, in case any of you are familiar with any places around there.

Anyways, I don't feel comfortable doing it myself (and I don't have much time to spare anyways), so I'm looking around to find a place that will wax and clay my car for me. I just bought it (2011 Hyundai Sonata), and I didn't get any type of paint protection from the dealer.

Here are the three places I'm looking at. My goals are (a) a very wet, shiny look and (B) long-lasting protection.

1. http://www.thedetailshoponline.com/index_files/Page432.htm
2. http://www.parkandpolish.com/auto_detailing_service.htm

The third option is a place that says that they can clay and wax it for $35. Now, considering that the first option offers the same thing for $160, what am I missing here...?

I'm leaning toward the second option, with the carnauba paste wax, because it sounds like what I'm looking for. I've heard that carnauba is the best type of wax to use to get that "wet, shiny" look, but I also heard it's not that durable. Do you guys have any suggestions about possibly using a Meguiar's synthetic wax or something first before getting a carnauba wax? Would these detailing places even be willing to do that for me?

As you can see, I don't have much experience with any of this stuff. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

while carnauba wax is a tried and true method, these days synthetic sealants net better wetter results for less effort. I honestly would save the cash, invest in some detail supplies and go to town.

www.autogeek.net is your friend ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the quick response, NT2!

I just got off the phone with this guy I found on craigslist who does detailing, and he told me that what he would recommend a mirror glaze or something like that since it's a new car. He also told me that I wouldn't need to claybar since it's a new car, but I've heard conflicting opinions on this forum.

By the way, NT2, what wax would you recommend then? I've heard great things about the Meguiar NXT or something like that.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (lazy @ Jun 9 2010, 04:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331408
Appreciate the quick response, NT2!

I just got off the phone with this guy I found on craigslist who does detailing, and he told me that what he would recommend a mirror glaze or something like that since it's a new car. He also told me that I wouldn't need to claybar since it's a new car, but I've heard conflicting opinions on this forum.

By the way, NT2, what wax would you recommend then? I've heard great things about the Meguiar NXT or something like that.
I use NXT because its OTC and cheap.....but it doesn't last very long......My go to wax is the collinite 845...its really a boat wax but works soooo nice on auto paint. I can get a good 4-6 mos protection out of it and the bottle is like $15...it doesn't hurt that it smells like pina colada going on too :)

www.autogeek.net

get yourself a nice soap bucket, grit guard, some REAL sheepskin or microfiber wash mitts, foam gun (for applying soap), some good meguiars car soap. Definitely clay the car (Meguiars smooth kit is nice). I recommend getting some $8 microfiber super plush clothes for wax removal.

If you want cheap bulk detailing supplies go to www.chemicalguys.com

I could spend all day on this topic...too much too cover, not enough time to cover it all.....one of my pet peeves...I spend a maticulous hour just washing my car alone....clay, polish and wax adds another 6 hours or so

·
Registered
717 Posts
agree with NTSHBBY. I crawl around on Meguiars forum a lot. I buy all my products from Target and they have a twice yearly clearence on Meguiars products and Zroom. So I pick up new supplies each year for 50% off. I use NXT 2.0 and Zroom drying/Micro towels. I got two X-mas packs for $10 each so I have plenty of soap, wax, wheel, window, and other cleaners this year.

·
Registered
72 Posts
NT2 has the right elbow grease idea. But if your absolutely against doing it yourself then we recommend going to:

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php

Sign up for the forum, introduce yourself and then post a note in Detailing 101 indicating your looking for a professional detailer within your area.

I did a wash (with two Grit Guards) then a Smooth surface clay bar on my limited, the bar did not get real dirty but there was some residue picked up. It was an easy job as the bar is applied with the lubricant (supplied) and no pressure. Then waxed with wax of your choice, there ya go. Few hours work. Make sure you read all the instructions.

Tons of info on the Meguiars site, Detailing 101 is probably where you want to be.

Chuck

·
Registered
209 Posts
i browsed around autopia and a lot of pros recommend claying a new car. i did and pulled a ton of crap off my brand new pearl white se.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
QUOTE (lazy @ Jun 9 2010, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331399
My guess is that you will be missing quality! To clay and wax a car properly (assuming a thorough hand washing first) you are looking at a solid 4 hours of manpower, if not more. If I was spending 4 hours washing, claying and waxing a car, I would be charging a heck of a lot more than $35.

I know I have very limited time myself, but the feeling of doing the detailing job myself gives me great pride. In all honesty its not all that hard to learn how to detail a car either. What you could do is wash your car around dusk and clay it that night. The next evening you can apply a nice coat of wax and detail the tires and trim. In two evenings worth of work you have a very nicely detailed ride and have saved yourself some money. That being said, I've been wanting to wash & wax my car for the last couple weeks and still haven't had a chance. Its not looking like I will have a chance this weekend either.

I've never heard of either of those shops, but like I said in my PM, I've never really looked into detailing shops in this area. I've considered doing it part time myself (especially after seeing some of my co-worker's cars that needed it), but I just don't have the time to devote to it.

If you want to order supplies from autogeek, an elantra club forum I am a moderating on has a discount with them and they are highly recommended by one of the detailing guru's there (who taught me much of what I know). Let me know if you want the details.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Be wary who you solicit your services from online. There are many hacks out who think that they're 'detailers' just because they have a wash bucket and a jar of wax. If you really want to get the finish looking deep and wet, there is a LOT more to it than just wax. The lack of depth in the paint (especially dark colors) comes from oxidation and swirl marks, the latter of which can be introduced after just ONE poor wash. Automatic car washes will do this in a heartbeat. In order to keep your paint clear and deep, you have to get it correctly polished by somebody who actually knows what they're doing. Then it requires not straying from a borderline religious washing procedure to keep it looking that way.

The closest really good detailer I know near you is Detailed Image in Norwood, New Jersey. They do some pretty incredible work and their website is here. Granted the price may be a bit steep but trust me, the end result is more than worth it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll be looking into all the resources listed here as well as considering all of the thing's written thus far.

QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jun 10 2010, 12:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331552
Be wary who you solicit your services from online. There are many hacks out who think that they're 'detailers' just because they have a wash bucket and a jar of wax. If you really want to get the finish looking deep and wet, there is a LOT more to it than just wax. The lack of depth in the paint (especially dark colors) comes from oxidation and swirl marks, the latter of which can be introduced after just ONE poor wash. Automatic car washes will do this in a heartbeat. In order to keep your paint clear and deep, you have to get it correctly polished by somebody who actually knows what they're doing. Then it requires not straying from a borderline religious washing procedure to keep it looking that way.

The closest really good detailer I know near you is Detailed Image in Norwood, New Jersey. They do some pretty incredible work and their website is here. Granted the price may be a bit steep but trust me, the end result is more than worth it.

So rather than automatic car washes, you'd recommend hand-wash places only?

·
Registered
90 Posts
This weekend I was planning on hand washing the car then using Meguires smooth surface clay.. which wax do you guys recommend for a phantom black and is there anything else that I should do?

Im looking forward to this weekend because it will be my very first time "detailing" my car ever!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (lazy @ Jun 10 2010, 01:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331587
So rather than automatic car washes, you'd recommend hand-wash places only?
I would strongly suggest washing it yourself. I don't trust anybody else to touch my car....EVER. I have a write up pinned in 'Interiors & Exteriors' that gives pointers on proper washing techniques that help prevent swirl marks. I think that will help to answer some of your questions.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I hand wash on Sundays but if it needs a quick wash I am not afraid to use a car wash. A road trip is a perfect example. I will wash the car when I get to my destination point and then when I get home. So it might see 2 washes in a 3 day period. I use a place called Legends Car Wash. All hand wash and wax products are Meguiars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i found turtle wax ice, to work well, and they have a cleaner they call clay bar to clean off older cars too.it's clear you don't have to mess with paste

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can get good info at truthindetailing.com also. Many of the posters are at least part-time pro detailers. While they do use some Megauirs products, most of them are not the same ones you can pick up at the local parts place or WM. I've got major issues with what is apparently lime spots on my car so I've tried to do some research, and that site has good info.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm handling my new Sonata the same way I've been treating my '03 S2000 with these products:

-- Protect-All Quick n Easy Wash
-- Clay Magic 100gm claybar; ClayLube
-- Klasse All-In-One; Sealant Glaze
-- P21S Caranuba Wax; Paintwork Cleanser
-- S100 Caranuba Wax; Paintwork Cleanser; Gel Wheel Cleaner
-- Meguiars #34 Final Inspection
-- 303 Aerospace Protectant; Wiper Treatment
-- Lexol Cleaner; Conditioner
-- Mothers Mag/Aluminum Polish
-- Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover
-- Stoner Invisible Glass
-- Rain-X