Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was detailing the interior today and I noticed something that was not there two months ago (the last time I detailed the interior)...as I was vacuuming the headliner..I noticed a 4 to 5 inch water stain over the opera window... to my surprise...I saw the same thing on the other side in the exact same place.

I did a search here to no avail... wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the cause/remedy was.

thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts
I thought all Limiteds (what he says he has) have a moonroof as standard and the panoramic as optional? I know in 2012 and 2013 it was that way.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
With the sun roof, you normally do get some watter in. I believe there are "channels" that the water runs through. They may be plugged??!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
There is a gutter/drain system under the roof skin to deal with small amounts of water. However, if you‘re getting copious amounts of water to pass the glass panel‘s seal to the roof THAT IS ABNORMAL. The easiest way to test this is an open ended garden hose flowing water gently over the roof and a digital video camera to document any problem areas. There is a TSB at www.hyundaitechinfo.com on the cleaning of the four drains. If your drains are clogged, it is probably due to dirt combined with water coming through an abnormal operating seal. The only adjustment one can do without removing the headliner mechanically speaking is to move the glass panel fore/aft within the clearance of the four holes for the screws that retain it to the mechanism.

If you feel your car is abnormal then all I can say is "the squeeky wheel gets the grease". Good luck!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Sir!

There is a gutter/drain system under the roof skin to deal with small amounts of water. However, if you‘re getting copious amounts of water to pass the glass panel‘s seal to the roof THAT IS ABNORMAL. The easiest way to test this is an open ended garden hose flowing water gently over the roof and a digital video camera to document any problem areas. There is a TSB at www.hyundaitechinfo.com on the cleaning of the four drains. If your drains are clogged, it is probably due to dirt combined with water coming through an abnormal operating seal. The only adjustment one can do without removing the headliner mechanically speaking is to move the glass panel fore/aft within the clearance of the four holes for the screws that retain it to the mechanism.

If you feel your car is abnormal then all I can say is "the squeeky wheel gets the grease". Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had this problem for 2 years with my previous 11' Sonata 2.0t limited. They even went so far as to replace the channels and it did nothing. It continued to saturate the rear and front by the A Pillar until the day I replaced it with the 2014 Sonata. I think I may have hit a large enough pothole to cause a crack in the seam along the roof somewhere and that continued to let water in. My car had to be in the shop at least 6 times because of it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
uhhhggggg. I don't have that kinda time...and the dealership already knows I regularly speak with the CEO of Hyundai America, John Krafcik, so hopefully if that's what it is...they fix it quickly.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mr. Krafcik is a stand up guy and I'm sure he will ensure that you're satisfied with your Hyundai. I've put 23K on our 2013 Sonata Limited 2.0t with panoramic roof and its been trouble-free. This is my tenth Hyundai and it certainly won't be the last.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr. Krafcik is a stand up guy and I'm sure he will ensure that you're satisfied with your Hyundai. I've put 23K on our 2013 Sonata Limited 2.0t with panoramic roof and its been trouble-free. This is my tenth Hyundai and it certainly won't be the last.
completely off-topic...but in seeing your name I have to ask you...are/were you a stand-up?

·
Registered
322 Posts
No Sir, never had the testicular displacement to move away from engineering where I think God wants me. My screen name is a play on words for the way in which I generally conduct myself (kamikaze...BONZAI!) on the virtual battlefield as I'm a multi-decade gamer. However, whenever possible I do strive to amuse my fellow "soldiers" (even if it's as a "talking corpse" whilst I wait to respawn) whenever possible. My Father, God rest his soul (and a long time resident of Jupiter, FL), instilled in his children a fairly strong sense of humor and I am thankful for it. My co-workers would definitely say I'm a "nut"!

Life would be unbearably bland were it not for laughter and the catalyst thereof.

Cheers and a good day to you HarborGrey!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts