Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of the preventative maintenance quest on my '02, I decided to change out the water pump while I had the timing covers off.

I bought a Pront0 544-61230 from RockAuto. All seemed well until I couldn't get the front-most bolt to catch. And here's why:

Aftermarket pump (already on car):
100_2905.JPG

OEM pump:
100_2909.JPG

As you can see, the aftermarket pump's front mounting lug is considerably thicker than the OEM. This is a good thing, except that the original bolt will not snug up and a replacement bolt is not included with the pump.

So, I'm dead in the water until tomorrow when I have to make time to go to a fastener supplier in town and get ONE bolt to finish the timing belt, idler, tensioner, water pump, accessories belts project and put this car back on the road.

For those of you doing a water pump replacement, just wanted to give you a heads-up to check this before you find yourself hung up late on a cold night.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
thought: grind it down, and run the appropriate tap down the aftermarket to ensure the thread is clean (is thread in the pump? cannot remember...)

having that extra metal there really doesn't do you any good, although its not any harm either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
went the simple way

Good idea about grinding it down. However, it was easier to stop at my favorite metric fastener place and get a longer bolt for $1. I had other errands to run in town anyway.

No threads in the pump, just the block.

It's all back together now. No apparent leaks after sitting for few hours. Belts and covers back in place now. Recharging battery to test start it in the morning.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
another good solution:) i often neglect that as you can't just buy one around here. all the hardware stores want to sell you a box of the screws, very little metric, and even less fine thread metric which is mostly what cars use.

the result is i have to go to a manufacturing supplier (like brafasco or fastenal, what we have here) and buy a bag of 10 or 20 of the bolts.

so quite often i make do without.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
another excellent option. threaded rods and a nut (or studs) are actually a better clamping option - you'll find most high performance turbocharged engines us head studs instead of bolts for this reason.

i won't get into why, google is for that :)

only downside is torque spec is different - but for a water pump...i think it's just fine :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts