Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I bought a new 2004 Santa Fe LX with 49 miles on it. A few times I've noticed a "hot" smell after pulling the car into the garage, but I figured this is pretty common with new cars. The last couple of days, after pulling into the garage and getting out of the car, I have heard a sizzling sound coming from under the car. I can see water dripping onto the garage floor. I think the sizzling is because the water is hitting a hot car part before it hits the floor. When I pulled the car back and checked the small puddle, it smelled like... just clear water. Not coolant, for example. It has been muggy here in Maryland - could this just be condensation? Or could I have a problem with a water pump?

·
Registered
329 Posts
If it was a coolant leak you'd be able to tell easy by the colour and smell (Tasting not recommended! :)

Its very likely condensation from the air conditioner. I'm not 100% certain about the layout for the Santa Fe but in many vehicles the drips from the compressor and hoses land on the exhaust. If you look under the hood right away you may even see frost built up on parts of the air con system.

Try getting in the habit of shutting off the air con but keeping the blower going 5 minutes before you hit home. That will give the compressor time to warm up. You'll still have plenty of cooling while that happens. An added bonus is that you'll be generating less dampness in the engine compartment.

The hot smell is likley just factory coating burning off the exhaust and catlytic converter. It usually lasts for few weeks. If you are at ll worried give your dealer or Hyundai's 1-800 line a quick call. What might feel like a dumb question is samll price for peace of mind.

As long as you don't smell burning plastic or a sulphur smell you should be fine - a plastic smell would indicate an electrical problem and sulphur would tell you your battery is overcharging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by SantaFeNew@Sep 12 2004, 06:44 PM
Two weeks ago I bought a new 2004 Santa Fe LX with 49 miles on it.  A few times I've noticed a "hot" smell after pulling the car into the garage, but I figured this is pretty common with new cars.  The last couple of days, after pulling into the garage and getting out of the car, I have heard a sizzling sound coming from under the car.  I can see water dripping onto the garage floor.  I think the sizzling is because the water is hitting a hot car part before it hits the floor.  When I pulled the car back and checked the small puddle, it smelled like... just clear water.  Not coolant, for example.  It has been muggy here in Maryland - could this just be condensation?  Or could I have a problem with a water pump?
[snapback]1137[/snapback]​

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hummmmm, i also have noticed wet spots under my 2004 3.5 santa fe, the puddle is under the right fornt part of the engine, I wounder if this is the same area as your wet marks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gordo - thanks, that's a really good idea!
Fisherman - yes, it sounds like the same place. Under the engine, a little to the right side.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree with Gordo - the problem is most likely to do with the air conditioning system - but it is not a problem so I wouldn't be worried about it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Water will only expel from your evaporator box drain tube if you are using the Air Conditioning.
Is this the case, are you using the Air Conditioning whilst you are experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
in defrost & defr/floor, the A/C compressor runns all the time, even if you cancle the switch (green A/C light go out).

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is drive to the A/C compressor all of the time, as long as you have a drive belt to drive the a/c, but the compressor only operates when you have the a/c selected to operate.

The a/c compressor will not pump refridgerant around the a/c system unless the compressor clutch is engadged to transfer drive from the belt to the compressor itself. This is usually done by switching on your A/C via your in cabin switch. :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
the next 203 + SM you get your hand on, try it. Unless the aussie cars are different from the rest of the world.

BTW, the A/C does cancle on the Tucson, when you hit the button.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I do not know of an air con system that does not use an engagement clutch!
As far as I was aware they all use engagement clutches which are on the front of the compressor!

I changed the A/C compressor and reciever drier on a Santa Fe around 2 months ago and they use a clutch to engage and disengage the compressor.

I am confident on saying that air con systems do not run constantly:

1. How would you stop refridgerant recirculation?
2. Why would there be a constant load on the engine that it didn't always need?
3. How would you stop the evaporator from freezing up if you did not have your fan on?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
WOHAAA, that is not what I mean.
what I am saying is, that when you select DEF/FLOOR or DEF, you can't switch off the A/C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts