Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

The water in fuel filter light is constantly on since the evening. Is there an easy way to drain water from the filter?

Thanks. Its a 2.2 CRDi.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Draining water from the fuel filter is a standard service task on diesels, specifically including Santa Fe, so you need to check why it hasn't been done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Water in fuel filter

Hi

Just joined as I have just bought a i30 diesel.

It is six months old and only done 6000 miles. I picked it up from my dealer four days ago and they said it had been checked over before i had it.
Today (Friday) on venturing out I noticed the fuel-filter warning lamp on. It never went off even after a park-up for an hour. Checked the handbook on my return and it says to drain water from the fuel filter.

I have no idea how to do this and I can't get in touch with the dealer until Monday.

Would it be oK to continue to drive it until then?

Cheers.

Barry.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi all,

The drain screw is on the bottom of the filter housing.
DON'T run the engine while doing this!!
First search for the fuel filter on the left hand side of the engine bay.
You should find it with a number of fuel lines attached, maybe four.
When you feel underneath on the bottom of that housing you should feel a knob, being a cap screw, which can be unscrewed. Depending on the engine type (2.2l?) there could be sensor leads attached, which you can detach with it's link connector.
When unscrewed there could/should be water with maybe a bit of diesel leaking out. When it stops you can put the cap screw back on and reattach the connector. After this the indicator should stay out.

It won't hurt much if you would drive on with this but do not let it be for too long (weeks).

Merry Xmas,

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Many thanks Paul.

While i am no mechanic I would normally 'have a go' at doing what you suggest but my big worry is I have already e-mailed my dealer to report the problem (had no reply yet as they don't open weekends) and the big issue is this car is on full warrantee and am worried that by going ahead myself (after having reported it) might invalidate the warrantee.

So if you think it is oK to run for a couple of days I will wait til Monday for the dealer's response. If they say nothing can be done til after Xmas then I will attempt it myself then and to **** with the warrantee as I need the car over Xmas.

Thanks very much and happy Xmas to you too.

Barry

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Barry,
Certainly no warranty issue, because it is a simple maintenance issue, like filling up some engine oil, filling up window washer water etc.
It won't hurt to let it stay some week, 10 days or so.
Eventually it can hurt a bit the injectors if there is a lot of water mixed into the fuel, but you would seldom reach such amounts.
However, you might want to make a note of it or keep it in mind. If it reoccurs (too) often you may have a leaky gas filler cap, so water is getting in the tank. But a practically new car....
greets,
Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheers Paul.

All taken on board.

Dealer has been in touch actually. Told me to take it in Monday and they will replace the filter. If it is anything worse they will loan me a car until it's done.

I'll just use it carefully and at a minimum until then.

Thanks again.

Barry

·
Registered
843 Posts
It actually is not needed to replace the filter itself because there is no issue with it, only the water separator seems to have accumulated enough water, but if they want to, let them. Or maybe they suspect a faulty sensor??
Greets,
Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Paul

It was suggested, I think, just to give a quick answer. They have not seen the car so it may well be just water. As you say, if they decide to change the filter, I'll let them. :)

Cheers.

Barry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Paul

Took the car in today. They replaced the fuel filter and did a few other bits, then I got in to drive home and yes, the light was still on! So the mechanic said it is the sensor. Currently none in stock but will get one for tomorrow and fit it, so hopefully that will fix it.

Will report again then.

Barry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Paul

Took the car in today. They replaced the fuel filter and did a few other bits, then I got in to drive home and yes, the light was still on! So the mechanic said it is the sensor. Currently none in stock but will get one for tomorrow and fit it, so hopefully that will fix it.

Will report again then.

Barry.
Hi.
If replacing the sensor dosent help. Tell them to check alternaror current as well. There can be a broblem with the alternator

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi!

About 2 weeks ago i picked-up my brandnew car with ODO of 28km ... only took once a full tank of diesel and now after 400km my "water in fuel filter indicator" turned on... Common problem in Paraguay they told me now, brandnew car so first time it gets drained at the local dealer.:surprise:

Assume it will be asual matter for this engine. For draining the fuel filter frequently have to take to many parts out see the movie wA0eFZ5Sdok at youtube * this guy takes almost 4 min. to have acces to it... :frown:

Therefore I'm already thinking about to install a additional fuel filter to separete water. Looking forward for tips in such.

Thanks!
Santaguayo

* can't post yet links...

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Hi Santaguayo welcome to the forum! It sounds like you should be careful and only buy fuel from new or very busy gas stations. This way you are less likely to get bad fuel.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I have never heard of such a thing, guess its better than water and junk in the tank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,468 Posts
Mr Funnel...great bit of kit. Terrible that you need to use one when filling up at a petrol station though. I use mine for filling the tanks of my wee plane from jerry cans. Nothing worse than the engine quitting when the last bit of runway has just vanished under the nose...D'OH!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to constantly drain water from fuel filter but the light in the dashboard never came up. i don't even know if mine has that light

1 - 20 of 27 Posts