Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body have any issues with this besides me. When I lifted up my floor mat today while vacuuming it was wet under the mat. I'll have to get pictures later but I spent a couple hours tracking it down. It is originating somewhere up by the rear window and tracking itself down to a non complete seam sealer job in the back seat. I'll probably have to look a little closer at this area also WATER LEAK. Trying to figure out water leaks sucks!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never posted the reply.

The leak was coming from the gas tank fill "pocket" where it seals against the quarter panel. When spraying that are lightly with my car parked nose lower maybe 5 degree angle, water would run into the area and sit. Seam sealer was not complete and it would trickle in then follow body seam line inside.

You could watch it from inside the trunk if you moved the covering panel. Body shop just did seam sealer from outside as there is NO WAY to get and reseal between without causing a crapload more work. Silicone probably would have worked but not as permanent IMO.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I had a leak that turned into pool in the back behind the wheelwell one day i was in my trunk looking for my summer rim lugnuts found them they had fallen into where the xm control box is and it was filled with water my xm had stopped working like 3 months into the new ownership of the car but i put an afktermarket headunit in anyway but i ended up going to the dealer and paying $80 for the reseal and its been perfect since they told me that leaks are covered only for the 1st yr 12k or something like that but hey 80 bucks isnt bad at all of course a new car shouldnt have these kinds of problems but hey things are gonna happen...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry to be replying to an old thread, but my 2007 Sonata has now experienced something similar.

After it rains, I discovered that the drivers side rear seat (seat portion) is wet, along with a swath of the carpeting in front of it. I took it back to where I bought it, their mechanic indicated it was the drivers side rear sunroof drain, had some debris in it. They flushed it out on Friday and I dried off the seat and carpeting as best as I could.

Well, it rained again last night, and yet again, this morning, the seat and carpet are wet. So I do not think the sunroof drain has anything to do with this.

In both instances, I noticed a few drops of rainwater inside the drivers side rear door jamb.

Any suggestions as to where the mechanic should look again? I noticed the reference above regarding the gas tank fill pocket.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I would suspect somebody is going to need to strip the cabin bare of contents and sit inside and watch where water flows from.. kinda hard to that with panels/seats/carpet covering up everything..

I had a Toyota 2wd pickup yrs ago when I was Toyota, had to pull the floor covering out, to find that the trans tunnel where it met the bulkhead had lack of seam sealer, allowing water to get in cabin at top of tunnel, then run down hill and pool up on the floor pan under the carpet, then customer would find the wet spot as it soaked into the carpet..

Reactions: NYundai

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll add to SBR's.

Your going to have to take off some trim panels, seats, carpeting. Before you do also try to determine under what conditions you noticed it. Was the car parked on angle? Heavy rains only? Is the seat cushion wet on top or is it soaking through from bottom? Do you see drips/puddle on top? My seats were always dry but floor was wet. I pulled all the driver side stuff up (seats front and rear, carpeting, panels) then parked car how I always do nose down 5-10 degree angle in my driveway and sat in car with friend hosing down the car with good water flow. Couldn't find anything! Switched to sprinkler/mist focusing only on left rear and started to see a trickle from weep holes at bottom of seat cushion area. Dried car, taped off rear window, snap trim front to back on roof (there is a seam under it), taillight, pillar trim triangle (it mounts in three holes with a pin/grommet to seal but is open holes to inside) THEN tried it again on light mist. Water still trickling out when on light mist but NOT heavy water flow. My friend (RIP PO Geoff Breitkopf) found it when we narrowed the misting area down to quarter panel only. We pulled the interior carpeting from trunk and with a flashlight you could watch the water trickle down from pocket onto seam and follow it into the car coming out the weap holes by seat. narrowed it down more to if parked nose up or even flat ground it didn't happen as the water drained out of pocket or into drain hole for gas spillage etc. Heavy water flow didn't allow vacuum break fir water to drip in it needed the slight air caused by intermittent water flow.

If your handy, grab a friend and get to work. The dealer will find it but depends how many hours at $100/hour you want to pay for it. I'm on the if I can't duplicate it easy I'm not wasting others time and paying for it. Other places have other options (borescope video etc) that they can get inside the body panels and watch the same way.

How did he clear the drain? Have you tried to see if water comes out of drain when you put water around sunroof (use a pitcher to control flow so it won't run down the side of car) you should see it come out either under door pillar area or behind rear wheel. Did he jam something into it and tear the rubber tube? High pressure hose water or air causing hose to pop off?

The water on door sill seems to be a common issue caused by good weather stripping. Many have commented but nobody seems to have gotten water in the car from it as the raised lips keep it out. Those drips come down the door mouldings from window and drain out the bottom holes in door designed for that. Tight bottom seal keeps it from draining easy. Yes that was one area I flowed a lot of water (hard and mist) trying to find mine but found nothing under any conditions coming in. Same deal on front door (but did have some issues with mirror not sealing to door with some drips (noticed them coming from bottom of tweeter area)

My OLD Corolla had a bad seam seal on firewall. Never had an issue as always parked nose down. Wife pulled the car in before long weekend away nose up. Rained all weekend, 1.5" of water in rear seat floor able to duplicate for shop to find bad seam and reseal it based on how it happened.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The water appeared to be coming up from the bottom as the left side of the back cushion was wet while the top of it (closest to the rear window) was dry. The car was parked on a very slight angle, almost not even noticable.

I brought the car back this morning and they also found that at the upper left corner of the back glass, part of the adhesive (or whatever the factory used to seal the rear window) was gone. They placed silicone around that upper left corner and all the way down the left side of the glass. It is possible that the rainwater got into that gap and ended up inside the car somehow.

As to how they cleared the drain, I have no idea, I didn't ask.

I dried the seat and carpet again as best as I could and placed a new towel on the seat cushion. I did not place one on the carpet as when it got wet, the color of the carpet was clearly darker, so all I have to do is look at the carpet. We are supposed to get some rain overnight again tonight, so I will be checking this again in the morning.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once figured out and solved make sure you pull some stuff up anyway to get it all dry. Some dealerships get around this and put a dehumidifier in the car for a day or two with windows closed.

I did that after I had the huge water in my Corolla and you'd be amazed how much moisture it pulled out. Better than letting it sit wet and start to rust or black mold.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We have had more rain here last night and today. As of now, nothing has changed since I attempted to dry everything out as best as I could last night, with a blowdryer, so that is an indication that no new water has come in since they put down the silicone around that corner and side of the rear window glass.

It is supposed to rain again overnight tonight and will check it again in the morning.

Everyone has told me the only way to get the rest of it to dry out (assuming the leak has been fixed) is to wait for a warm day and let the heat build-up inside the cabin dry it out.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (edwardp @ Apr 19 2011, 07:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=432857
Everyone has told me the only way to get the rest of it to dry out (assuming the leak has been fixed) is to wait for a warm day and let the heat build-up inside the cabin dry it out.
If you wait for that to happen under closed areas (carpet against floor) with it soaked into the padding your going to wait for a long time. Rust and mold will love you for that. Borrow a dehumidifier (or "rent" one from Home Depot for a couple days, just keep the receipt for return) and put it in the car for a couple days. Might help if you can at least lift up the carpet etc. I got that from my friend (who helped me find my leak) from when he worked at BMW and had to deal with the flooded cars. All they did was put a board in car to hold dehumidifier straight, turned it on high, closed the windows/doors and let it run for 2-3 days until no more ended up in pan/bucket.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The good news regarding the carpet, is that the only wet portion of it was a 2" wide swath going the entire length of the carpet floor well on the drivers side, I was able to dry roughly 90% of that with the blow dryer. The seat seems to be drying out on its own.

My fingers are crossed for tomorrow morning...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts