Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
For years, I always went to a manual car wash to wash my cars in the winter, but in the last couple of years, Ive been fortunate enough to have a nice touchless carwash by my house that has a good undercarraige wash so I use that. Occasionally I will still go to a manual one in case I really need to scrub the wheels or something, but I do my best to avoid anything touching the paint.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (smooths6 @ Aug 19 2010, 10:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350436
i just hate the feeling of knowing that my car is covered in salt. This winter will be interesting with the new car and all.
Everyone should be happy they don't live in a small town like Orangeville 1 1/2 hours northwest of Toronto where they spread sand over the road in the winter :crying:
This probably wont set many people's minds at ease, but when it gets brutally cold to where it doesnt snow anymore, having salt on your car when its dry out doesnt actually hurt anything.

Salt by itself does not cause rust. Salt combined with moisture is what causes things to rust.

So, for those of you in the brutal north when it gets down to 0 degrees, but its sunny out, its not as critical to wash your car, even if its covered in salt. Sure, it looks nasty, but dry salt wont hurt.

If you dont believe me, try an experiment with something made of iron. Get two cups and fill them halfway up with driveway salt and stick the iron in each cup and then take only one of the cups and fill it halfway with water.

Let it sit outside for a couple of days. You will find that the iron in just the salt will not show any oxidation, but the one with the salt and water mixture will be very rusted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.