Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do during the winter time? Do you just end up going the whole winter without a wash?

·
Registered
142 Posts
My previous car was a silver 06 Civic so I was able to get away with not washing it during winter because dirt wasn't so noticable on it. My pearl white Sonata
is a different story. I'll probaby just go to a car wash instead of doing it myself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (wozzy @ Jun 19 2010, 04:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334490
My previous car was a silver 06 Civic so I was able to get away with not washing it during winter because dirt wasn't so noticable on it. My pearl white Sonata
is a different story. I'll probaby just go to a car wash instead of doing it myself.
I was thinking the same thing, but a lot of people on this board seem to have a lot of problems with going through automated car washes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Around here we see little difference between washing in the summer or winter. I just call my son to come over and wash it :>))
Texas Hill Country

·
Registered
209 Posts
QUOTE (lazy @ Jun 19 2010, 04:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334486
What do you guys do during the winter time? Do you just end up going the whole winter without a wash?
UGH - Buffalo winters are really nasty on cars. The thought of my new baby with salt stains?? EEK.
I dont like car washes like Delta Sonic - but I have a Laser Wash at the corner of my steet. Its all high pressure water, soap, wax and dry and it does a pretty good job for the winter months...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I always wash and wax in the fall and then clean the wheel wells and underside during the first wash in spring. I mostly live with a dirty car in the winter but at least try to keep the inside clean. Then again I have had my car for 5 weeks and 2000 miles and have only washed it once. Maybe I'll wash it tomorrow. :laughing:

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you live in an area that freezes and they use salt and or sand you most definitely want to be washing that off of your vehicle regularly. Salt and the other melting compounds used are corrosive and will damage the finish of your car and potentially cause rust no matter how good the rust protection is on the vehicle.

·
Registered
717 Posts
In the winter months I will visit a auto wash several times. I still get out and dry it off and vacuum. I work up a sweat anyways so it is nice to have a clean car year round. I will still pull it into my garage and detail it. My garage is finished so in the winter months it is around 60-65 in there.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a hand wash car wash near me, so I am lucky...

I usually ask for a book of car washes for Christmas :whistling:

That gets me through the winter...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to always make sure to wash my car whenever the temps came up, since that's when the salt really starts eating cars. I don't know if it's worth it in Buffalo, they really use a ridonkulous amount of salt here. Your car will be dusted with salt five minutes out of the car wash.

·
Registered
123 Posts
humm...

well, i'm not sure what i'm going to do. I live in SC, so winters aren't bad. and when it does snow or more likely ice, they close everything down. I'd most likely use a touchless (laserwash) type system for a quick rinse. and we have a semi automated station down the street... it has the brushes and such, but at the end, a group of people will hand dry and wash the windows and such.

however i'll spend some time in PA, and they have ash and salt to make the roads drivable. they have a touchless wash, which i'll use.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In Toronto,Canada winters can get pretty crazy around here, specially with the amount of salt they use up here. lol
i just wait for a day that it isn't extremely cold and there isn't a wind chill. take it to the drive through. just make sure you dry the door seal after or you won't be able to open the door an hour lately.

Make sure you follow the last step - speaking from personal experience lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
I go to the touchless and take off the heavy. When I get home I use this Optimum in my garage. Use the two bucket method, one for washing the car and one for cleaning the sponge. youtube it and see for yourself. Stuff works great and leaves a minimum amount to water in the garage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here in Michigan salt removal is a must.
I go to a brushless wash that has a underbody spray.
There is talk about going to beet juice to melt the ice.
It is non corrosive but will not work in extreme cold.

·
Registered
603 Posts
For years, I always went to a manual car wash to wash my cars in the winter, but in the last couple of years, Ive been fortunate enough to have a nice touchless carwash by my house that has a good undercarraige wash so I use that. Occasionally I will still go to a manual one in case I really need to scrub the wheels or something, but I do my best to avoid anything touching the paint.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
i just hate the feeling of knowing that my car is covered in salt. This winter will be interesting with the new car and all.
Everyone should be happy they don't live in a small town like Orangeville 1 1/2 hours northwest of Toronto where they spread sand over the road in the winter :crying:

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (lazy @ Jun 19 2010, 05:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334496
I was thinking the same thing, but a lot of people on this board seem to have a lot of problems with going through automated car washes.
Same thing I do in the summer, take my car through touchy touch automatic car wash for $4.99. I hope the people on the board realize that this is no classic or exotic car, After all this is a Hyundai! :whistling:

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (smooths6 @ Aug 19 2010, 10:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350436
i just hate the feeling of knowing that my car is covered in salt. This winter will be interesting with the new car and all.
Everyone should be happy they don't live in a small town like Orangeville 1 1/2 hours northwest of Toronto where they spread sand over the road in the winter :crying:
This probably wont set many people's minds at ease, but when it gets brutally cold to where it doesnt snow anymore, having salt on your car when its dry out doesnt actually hurt anything.

Salt by itself does not cause rust. Salt combined with moisture is what causes things to rust.

So, for those of you in the brutal north when it gets down to 0 degrees, but its sunny out, its not as critical to wash your car, even if its covered in salt. Sure, it looks nasty, but dry salt wont hurt.

If you dont believe me, try an experiment with something made of iron. Get two cups and fill them halfway up with driveway salt and stick the iron in each cup and then take only one of the cups and fill it halfway with water.

Let it sit outside for a couple of days. You will find that the iron in just the salt will not show any oxidation, but the one with the salt and water mixture will be very rusted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts